General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Okay seriously, where the hell is this coolant leak coming from?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay seriously, where the hell is this coolant leak coming from?!

Got home tonight and noticed my car was a little warmer than normal.
I also heard the fans running, which is probably the first or second time I've EVER heard them run in the three years of owning the car.

Got out and saw a nice little stream of coolant running out the side.
**** my ***, that's fantastic!

From underneath the hood I can't see a single drop of the ****!
ANYWHERE!
It's dryer than Madonna's ****** up there.
Under the car is a different story, however I could not trace it to any radiator hose, T-stat housing, or even the water pump.
Fairly sure the water pump was bone dry as it sits right under the TB and it could be seen from above...

I can't get it in the air at my apartment, I will have to limp it to my parents house or something.

Here's some pictures, maybe you guys can take a guess.
Would really help me out.

This bolt in the center looks ******* suspect. It looks soaking wet (which I'm all about) but it's completely dry above it!
WTF!

Please share any ideas/suggestions.
Thanks dudes and tiddies.
-Matt
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From where the drips are coming from my guess is water pump out the weephole or water pump gaskets. You can get some gaskets for about 10 dollars and if your good the pump only takes 10 minutes to get off. Throw a little silicone on the new gaskets and reinstall you can get the whole thing done pretty quick. If you still have a leak it was only 10 dollars and an hour.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with TurbopigB4C.

The water pump on my Firebird bit the dust with less than 40k on the clock.

Depending on the mileage of your ride, if you're gonna go to the trouble of tearing off the water pump, you might as well replace it while your at it. If you simply replace the gaskets and reinstall the pump and it turns out the pump is the culprit, you will not only have wasted your time, but the new gaskets and coolant as well.

I would at least have a new pump bought and ready to go in before you remove the old one. If the original turns out to be fine, it'll simply be a matter of returning the new one to the parts store.

Good luck, man.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Staging Lane

check your power steering cooler if you have the in line one!! also.. my camaro had the o-ring seals in the radiator(where the plastic sides came together with center) started leaking.. only when cold.. or up his some major pumps.. replaced radiator for that one.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's going to be almost impossible to diagnose a coolant leak from pictures. Top the car off with water and drive it to where ever you can check it out, rent a coolant system pressure tester from AutoZone and find out where it's coming from. We can make educated guesses from those pictures but it's still a shot in the dark. I am not saying it can't be what is suggested above but since it is obviously an external leak, pressurizing the system should make it pretty easy to find. Don't just throw parts at it because we think it's leaking from somewhere. It could be something as simple as a loose radiator hose(I'm not saying it is). You'd be amazed how much coolant is sprayed around when you're driving, which makes it very difficult to find the origin of the leak when it's still.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

As Grifter mentioned above...rent a radiator pressure tester from your local auto parts store. Hopefully you have an Autozone or O'Reillys near by.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a water pump to me by the location if I had to guess. I'd still go get a pressure tester though and make sure.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys.
I actually fixed it two days ago.
Once the weephole was mentioned it made total sense by looking at the rate and volume of the drip. I feel retarded having not of even thought of that first, but that's why I have you ******** .

Guess I just figured the pump would last more than 56k.
Then again...it's a 10 year old car.

Was a pretty simple job but took about two hours between breaks and waiting for management to leave the area.
They probably wouldn't like all that coolant leaking into their sewers .

God damn, I hate doing anything on my cars in the summer, sucks ***** down here.
Not to mention I had to do it out in the ******* sun.

**** on Florida.
-Matt
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MattxFatal

God damn, I hate doing anything on my cars in the summer, sucks ***** down here.
Not to mention I had to do it out in the ******* sun.

**** on Florida.
-Matt
Boo Hoo, it' been in the 50's and raining for the last 3 weeks here, I would kill for some of that weather

Quick Reply: Okay seriously, where the hell is this coolant leak coming from?!