General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

[NON LSX] - Broken E-Brake, how should I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [NON LSX] - Broken E-Brake, how should I fix?

SCROLL DOWN TO DASHED LINE TO SKIP LONG READ

Hi, today I was going to the beach with my girlfriend.

Since today is Memorial Day and also the first day it was 93* (yesterday it was ~50*) we decided to take her car because I wasn't really feeling like doing stop and go traffic in a manual.

Long story short it was a 50min drive to the beach, another 50min trying to go from the free parking lot to the paid parking lot (1/32 mile) if you are familiar with Montrose beach in Chicago. So im VERY VERY glad I took her car.

-------------

Instead of holding my foot on the brake for 5-10 min at a time I decieded to use the parking/e-brake to hold the car.

When I pulled it up and we were still creeping forward barely. So I pulled it up 1 more notch, heard a snap, and it popped out of the socket hanging a little sideways.

I released it and it went down fine. But I don't know if I snapped one of the cables.

What is the easiest way to check without ripping out the center console and physically inspecting the cord? If I jack the car up can I see anything from the bottom. Im pretty sure they are wrapped with rubber.

On a side not, the car drove fine didn't pull to any side but the brakes did make a noise when applied sometimes and when driving from a stand still (Typical metal on metal worn pad noise). This noise only happened randomly and I don't know if it was priorly there.

The car is a 2001 maxima with 85k.

Thanks for any insight

--

Side note: The brake sucked from the beginning, idk the history of the car. A snapped cable wouldn't be in tension would it? If its just laying in a released non rubbing state I might just leave it.

Last edited by -DLS-; 05-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just change girlfriends

-Will
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the cable broke. I dont know how the ebrake is set up on those, but I would imagine that with the brake applied and it was still creeping forward, then the pads used were worn out. Maybe from it being pulled just a little bit more, it used up all the slack available and pulled the brackets apart.