General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My Facepalm moment!!! Due to my newbish mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011 | 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default My Facepalm moment!!! Due to my newbish mistake...

So today i have finally completed my exhaust work on my 98 trans am A4 thats 2.73 geared
I have decided to install my LT headers add a catted 3 inch Y pipe but leave a stock catback for now with a manual cutout open. (im on a budget) If anyone else pondering on doing the same thing, my opinion is that its very street friendly and not very loud (except WOT )

Anyway... back to my facepalm moment. So after finally welding up my exhaust today, i took the car out for a spirited run and was surprised that it pulled slightly better than before (i had installed intake, PTB and cutout prior)

I wasnt disappointed and figured that i would just need a tune. So later on that night my brother came over to check out the set up... So i popped the hood and fired up the car... As soon as i did that, i saw some electric popping near my spark plug, and i was like "WTF?? " So i turned on my flashlight and my fking spark plug wire was disconneced from my #4 cylinder!!! :bang So i shut off the car, and plugged it back in

Shortly after, i took the car out for another drive and right off the bat the car felt like it got its life back! i mean when i went WOT at 35 mph (sweet downshift spot for 2.73's into 1st) the car literally lost traction and took off like a bat outta hell Definitely felt MUCH faster than before.

Now from the dig, the car goes sideways all the way through 1st gear... definitely a big difference.

Yea i know, that was a very newbish overlook on my part, but until today, i havent been driving the car, so i doubt ive done any harm. Just thought i would post this for a laugh

My plan is to install my 3400 stall that is sitting my garage and then a tune in the next few weeks! Definitely excited about that
Old 06-09-2011 | 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

No biggie, man. I have gotten into a rush and left things unplugged before. Get that stall in there and you will experience that "totally different car" feeling all over again.
Old 06-09-2011 | 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Happened to me before, but I left #2 and #4 wires unplugged.
Old 06-09-2011 | 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I forgot to plug my TPS after some work one time and the ses light popped up and it shifted weird and I was like WTF So I stopped and looked under the hood and saw it and was like my dumb white ***......lol Happens to us all...
Old 06-09-2011 | 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm still a super newb. I once drove away (thankfully at like 5mph) with my rear wheel stud nuts only hand threaded on. If I took off I probably would've broken 'em right off!
Old 06-09-2011 | 02:47 PM
Banned

lol been there done that, mine was after a cam install and tune. Took the car out and it was slower than stock, some how 2 plug wires came un hooked.
Old 06-09-2011 | 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, glad to see im not the only one
Old 06-09-2011 | 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt plug one of my coilpacks all the way in when i did my header install.. lol
Old 06-09-2011 | 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I left a plug wire off once after a cam swap and thought it was valvetrain noise with all the clicking from the spark arcing off the header.
Old 06-12-2011 | 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't exactly leave a wire off but.. My passenger side header burnt through my number 6 plug wire before I took off from starting line at the track. I still managed a 13.1 running on 7 cylinders.
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice

what happen to the fast set up you had on the ta?
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
nice

what happen to the fast set up you had on the ta?
If you are asking me, then the only Fast 90 setup ive had was in 2008 in my 2002 trans am m6 (which had pacesetters, ORY, magnaflow CB, tune) which i have sold a year later to another member on here.... i still regret it tilll this day beleive it or not

That one definitely put down great numbers with those mods 370/385

The trans am im talking about in OP, is my 5th and final one

Oh and i remember ive met you before in bobs burbank meet waaaaay back lol
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao yea that was the one lol
Old 06-13-2011 | 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, don't feel bad. Left my numero uno wire unplugged when I did headers and broke the ECT sensor, and replaced it. I thought my tune was just way off with the headers cause it idled like it had a huge cam... then I popped the hood and saw the arcs haha
Old 06-13-2011 | 05:37 PM
Launching!

ohh i have a story like that, except mine is much more stupid than yours.

after about 1 month of buying the car, i wanted to do a little maintenance on my car. one of the things that i did was spraying the MAF with a RNC MAF cleaner. After a few good spray, i assemble things back together and for the life of me could not find the lid to the MAF cleaner. I thought, oh what the hell, it must've slipped into the street or something.

After a dyno run, the shop owner mentioned to me, i heard a little ping coming from this area (he was pointing around the TB area), and the car run lean at 14.1 AFR.

I went home and thought, maybe my air filter has a leak or something, opened up the lid, there was the lid to my MAF cleaner. I just thanked God that I did not de-screen the maf or it would have been a very expensive repair. LOL

I can replace my own clutch, replace the head gaskets on my old LT1, but still make stupid mistakes like this. Hahaha.

Oh well, live and learn.