General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

another reason to avoid advance auto parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm lucky, I live 3 miles from CarQuest's home office/warehouse! I get what I need, 7 days a week. Advance has done me well over the years though, and now I order online and pick-up at the store for best pricing.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the quality of the people working in the store make a difference. I prefer our local Napa store due to the more experienced workers there. I hate the local Auto zone. Once I needed a banjo bolt for a brake caliper hose. They had no idea what I was talking about and said they didn't have it.

I went home and looked up the part number online went back and walked out with what I needed. Very frustrating when you are short on time.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I had to pick up a rear diff gasket a couple weeks back, the napa guy did not even know what it was lol
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I got a rear dif gasket from them 3 days ago, exact one, (unfortunatly not installed due to shot spiders) but they are great here, also knows use by name we use them for our race car and get a 45% or more discount.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm I been shop advance auto part more then any where else, Im alway order online and use there coupon code ( google it ), then pick it up in store, I just bought 2 quart gear oil with gasket , after coupon its 10 dollar and 6 dollar ford lsd addictive, total 16 dollar for rear diff gear oil change.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went to two Advance Auto stores. Neither of them had an air filter for an F150.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

I just went to two Advance Auto stores. Neither of them had an air filter for an F150.
hahahaha that is awesome. did they not have it on hand or just not in stock?

I went to vatozone a few weeks ago to get a turn signal relay for the t/a and they didnt list it as being available.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
hahahaha that is awesome. did they not have it on hand or just not in stock?

I went to vatozone a few weeks ago to get a turn signal relay for the t/a and they didnt list it as being available.
Not in stock. People must be really taking care of their F150's nowadays.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

I have always had good luck with both Advance Auto Parts and Autozone.
Just bought a flywheel from advance, got free shipping, $20 off the order, and it arrived in 4 business days!
Autozone is so close to my house that I have gotten to know some of the guys that work there, yes some are meatheads, but they mean well... and have hooked me up in the past
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

The advanced near me hooked my battery up backwards in my 95 z28 and told me they were not responsible i only go to oriellys now after that
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Current Advance employee right now and I do admit a lot of the guys I work with do not know what they are talking about, but at the same time a lot of the guys I work with do know what they are doing. My advice to you all is if you want the right thing go down to the commercial section of the counter. The commerical guys usually know a lot more then most the normal employees, theyve worked there a lot longer and deal with most the major garages in the area.

As far as getting parts quickly- if we dont have whatever you need we usually can order it from one of our PDQ (parts delivered quickly) warehouses. If the order goes in by 8pm sometimes 9pm then we can have it the next day. Be warned though, if what you need is FDO (factory direct order) then it can take a week or so because its coming straight from the factory.

If anybody has any questions about service or anything of the such I can help answer them to the best of my ability.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need a gasket I'll sell you my spare since I don't even have a 7.5" 10 bolt anymore

Around here the AAP is pretty good (usually, they did have one kid there for a short while who knew absolutely nothing at all), and the Autozone is decent too, with mostly middle aged or older folk there who actually have worked on their own cars before. O'Reilly's, well, I went there to get some VHT and clearcoat and that was about it, the guy behind the counter was pretty clueless and the one here seems to attract the dumber ricer crowd for someone so I stay away lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95badboy
The advanced near me hooked my battery up backwards in my 95 z28 and told me they were not responsible i only go to oriellys now after that
That sucks. Dont ever let them actually do work on your car!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
haha, yea not even kidding, the funniest part was that after he installed it he asked us to double check it to see if he installed it correctly because it wasn't moving when he pushed the gas.
One of the funniest things I've read in a very long time. Pretty good. I remember when I was in high school there was a kid with a Chevy Beretta that mounted an EMPTY nos tank in the back window for everyone to see. Not installed, just sitting there in a nice backet.

Ahh to be young and stupid again.

Back on topic though. The only nice thing about AutoZone is their rewards program, imo. That is a fantastic idea to reward your repeat customers. However, I find their prices usually a tad higher than their competition (Advance, Oreilly, etc.) and not to mention they don't have much of a coupon selection. I've been going on retailmenot.com , entering advance auto for the store, then getting coupon codes for all my misc waxes, towels, etc and using the in store pickup option. Hard to beat 40% off imo.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive bought tons from advance using coupons and ebates to save about 40% off retail. Order online, pick up in store, zero need for real human inteaction. Once the coupons die ts back to oreilley.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

No matter which one you go to they all pretty much sell the same brands.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by colospgsTA
I have always had good luck with both Advance Auto Parts and Autozone.
Just bought a flywheel from advance, got free shipping, $20 off the order, and it arrived in 4 business days!
Autozone is so close to my house that I have gotten to know some of the guys that work there, yes some are meatheads, but they mean well... and have hooked me up in the past
I might have to retract my previous statement- I went to have the new flywheel installed the other day, and it was not even centered! It would have done some real damage in there, so I left it out and had to resurface the old one. Now it was Made in China...

They are sending my a return label so that I can send it back for a refund- no questions asked, so I still respect their customer service.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I love when I'm going I. For a non engine/powertrain/drivetrain related part and they ask "v6 or v8"

-yes I need seat covers for a 2002 firebird.

- is that the v6 or v8

-its the v4....

-yes I need a wheel lug but I just need one and all those are packed in sets.

-ok we have that sir

-wait before you ask think about this, your going to ask me if it's a v6 or v8.... It's my wheel, it doesn't have a motor.

- oh I wouldn't do that sir, Is it a v6 or a ...... --dumb look on face and girl starts blushing--

--girl looks to male co-worker he reaches under counter and hands me a lug nut--

--see I told you so....--

Wheel lug story is true ... Car seat cover story was a dramatization...
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95badboy
Damn, how would that even be possible? I don't think my factory battery cables on my 94 are long enough that I could even swap them to the wrong positions! Must have taken some real effort for them to screw that up.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by baalic
I love when I'm going I. For a non engine/powertrain/drivetrain related part and they ask "v6 or v8"

-yes I need seat covers for a 2002 firebird.

- is that the v6 or v8

-its the v4....

-yes I need a wheel lug but I just need one and all those are packed in sets.

-ok we have that sir

-wait before you ask think about this, your going to ask me if it's a v6 or v8.... It's my wheel, it doesn't have a motor.

- oh I wouldn't do that sir, Is it a v6 or a ...... --dumb look on face and girl starts blushing--

--girl looks to male co-worker he reaches under counter and hands me a lug nut--

--see I told you so....--

Wheel lug story is true ... Car seat cover story was a dramatization...
That's just the way the computers are setup and it just becomes a routine that they usually don't even think about, and I've dealt with people who make such a big deal about answering questions like that they make it harder then it needs to be opposed to answering a question that takes a few seconds. And those are usually the same people who will come back and bitch and want someone fired if they accidentally get the wrong part.

And sometimes non engine parts can be different depending on the different engine options or model types that were available for the car. And obviously an employee can't be an expert on every make and model, so it makes sense to ask.

Quick Reply: another reason to avoid advance auto parts