General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

another reason to avoid advance auto parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another reason to avoid advance auto parts

Went there to pick up a diff gasket for the t/a. no such luck. it doesnt even pop up in their computer system. it shows a red circle with a line across it, which they tell me means its only sold online.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent used gaskets for years...

But if you want a re-useable, try a lube locker gasket.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like whoever you talked to didn't know what they were doing. I used to work there for years and 1. the computer doesn't show what is sold online, its either A. In stock, B. Have to order from a warehouse, or C. Can't get it. And 2. I know they sell 10 bolt differential gaskets in the store b/c I picked one up a few months ago, the felpro part number is RDS 55072.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...zoneAssigned=1
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

oh, i know they show it online to be at the store. I told him that also, but I went through the computer with him looking at every possible name for the gasket, and the only one in the system was rear differential gasket and it had the red circle thing.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can buy the rear end cover and gskt 4 12 bucks (dorman)

I ALWAYS go into part stores with my homework done.....All the part numbers I already have. I just give them part numbers and tell them FETCH......I actually had to go find my own parts one day.......I can go on for days about this ****.....
Just found it in 3 seconds< people are sooooooo fukin stupid.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...l+cover+gasket

Last edited by philsblwnz28; 06-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

i always have had good luck with them over the years. I actually got a $25 gift card awhile back for going to a store after calling and their computer not showing it was sold out. They send me 20% off coupons every month also. I'd rather deal with them instead of autozone or Pep Boys anyday even though I use Napa also
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $15 from a stealership for mine.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$8.00 at Carquest and $8.00 at dealership too.. Just did a diff fluid change.. AZ didn't stock one either. Bet NAPA would have carried it too.....
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

AAA has always been a good place for me, minus the wait to check out.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Around here Advance auto is typically the best place to deal with, not perfect, but usually better in service and product than VatoZone, OReally? (they don't know their *** from their head), Crapa (ive been ripped there several times), etc. But i've also notice some discrepancies in there database. It's easier to look up the part numbers yourself online, and just have them pull stuff.

What i have happened several times is they SELL me the right thing, but GIVE me the wrong part, even having the WRONG part in the RIGHT box. Don't ask me how that happens...

No one take offense. Again, that's just what i've ran into here locally.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Around here Advance auto is typically the best place to deal with, not perfect, but usually better in service and product than VatoZone, OReally? (they don't know their *** from their head), Crapa (ive been ripped there several times), etc. But i've also notice some discrepancies in there database. It's easier to look up the part numbers yourself online, and just have them pull stuff.

What i have happened several times is they SELL me the right thing, but GIVE me the wrong part, even having the WRONG part in the RIGHT box. Don't ask me how that happens...

No one take offense. Again, that's just what i've ran into here locally.
X2, with parts stores its more about the quality of the people who work there then the name of the shop. I used to work for Advanced and had co workers who didn't know a whole lot, one of them installed a boost gauge in his N/A engine. With that said I have had customers who would come in and wait until I could personally help them because they knew I knew what I was doing.
The biggest problem is that a lot of these places really don't pay well, so its hard to keep knowledgeable people at the stores. While at Advanced there were numerous employees who left after being offered better positions at shops as salesmen which generally pay a lot better.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought one, it was under rearend gasket, it wouldnt come up under diff gasket
Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Teching In

former AAP employee here.. all i can say is why hire better employees or have more there to cut down on the lines when they do more important things like give desk jockeys bonuses. if you need a job, i would recommend going homeless before working there. crap pay + stress = suicidal
homeless + no stress = suicidal without money to buy a gun
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just did the axle bearings/seals and a diff fluid change (including diff gasket obv) a couple months ago. All parts bought on the shelf at Advance Auto, and even used a $20 off $50 coupon. I buy all my stuff there.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
X2, with parts stores its more about the quality of the people who work there then the name of the shop. I used to work for Advanced and had co workers who didn't know a whole lot, one of them installed a boost gauge in his N/A engine. With that said I have had customers who would come in and wait until I could personally help them because they knew I knew what I was doing.
The biggest problem is that a lot of these places really don't pay well, so its hard to keep knowledgeable people at the stores. While at Advanced there were numerous employees who left after being offered better positions at shops as salesmen which generally pay a lot better.

Epic.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

dont think ive ever used a gasket on the differntial...black rtv for me.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just used RTV on the rear cover, never even bothered getting a gasket as it works very good. Since theres a Zone right across the street from me thats where I usually go for most things because of the convenience. If something has to be ordered sometimes the Zone takes 3-5 days to get it where Advance can usually overnight it, even on the weekends.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

i get those coupons from AAP and have used them as well for misc crap. but how they cannot show a gasket for such a common diff is beyond me. I usually take the part number with me, but I figured a gasket like this would be so common they couldnt screw it up.

I went to oreilly and I was out the door with the gasket in under 2 minutes. all though he did ask if I needed grease with that. I was assuming meant oil?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Launching!

We just got an O'Reilly by my house. I was pleasantly surprised by their prices, quality and service. I used to only go to NAPA, then I realized their parts were usually more expensive than everyone else's (although decent quality. Most of the time at least).
I like the Advance Auto near me. They're usually pretty good. Well, except for the old-timer that asked me, "Who makes that, Ford?" when I said I had a 97 camaro... But he no longer works there, lol
Old 06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula

Epic.
haha, yea not even kidding, the funniest part was that after he installed it he asked us to double check it to see if he installed it correctly because it wasn't moving when he pushed the gas.

Quick Reply: another reason to avoid advance auto parts