General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You will not find an insurance company anywhere in this country that will currently pay out $15k for an F-body on a standard-type insurance policy. You would need to go with a collector/agreed value type policy, or some sort of policy that's based on an appraisal, if you want that level of coverage.

This is the sort of thing you can avoid with collector/agreed value policies. Of course, those have special restrictions and won't work for people that use these cars as daily drivers.

FWIW, for my daily drivers I have State Farm. I've been using them for 15 years now, my overall experience with them has been as good as anyone could ever hope for with an insurance company.
What you said is 100% correct, if you have a garage gem thats the way to go. I don't have a berger SS so that type of coverage & service does not apply to me haha

btw I didn't mean that a fbody would be appraised for around $15k for an insurance claim, what i was implying was the resale, nada, kbb value of the vehicle. If the car is worth, say, 5k then theres no sense in going full coverage with $0 deductibles.

An insurance company will never go for face value of the vehicle, or even a devaluated face value, its more like a percentage of the vehicles devaluation.

It hits you hard when you are in a bad accident, then the cops hand you a ticket that i later contested & won, lost wages, countless hours in a hospital & rehabilitation clinic, and knowing you can't repair or replace your vehicle (one i truly enjoyed) then they turn around and cut me a check for practically nothing, not even enough for a down payment on a used car, if I didn't threaten to sue that auction lot I prolly wouldn't even have enough money to purchase/finance a temporary replacement car. This was in an accident where I wasn't at fault, and he was drunk and uninsured at that, ugh. I'm not saying I had a bad experience with geico, but I didn't appreciate how they handled the urgency of finances. I don't have any beef with statefarms auto insurance, but after having bad experience with the home owners insurance side, they will have a hard time to win me over. I'm not gonna contest everything else you mentioned cuz you are right on.

Last edited by LeanPocket; 07-13-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just going to say this.... 99% of insurance policies pay actual cash value for your car. They will not pay retail value or anything. Thats what your policy states.
Be sure you read your policy thoroughly before you get any sort of crappy with the claim handler if you have a claim.

If you pay 10K for a car and the cash value of it is only 4 grand there's only 1 person to blame for that, and its not the insurance company.

And the thing about aftermarket parts... yeah some of them don't fit... some of them work great... with the cost of OEM parts if every insurance company just paid to put OEM parts on every car, even cars that are 15 years old and have 150K miles on them can you imagine how expensive insurance would be?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon5212
And the thing about aftermarket parts... yeah some of them don't fit... some of them work great... with the cost of OEM parts if every insurance company just paid to put OEM parts on every car, even cars that are 15 years old and have 150K miles on them can you imagine how expensive insurance would be?
yeah, it is a nice option if you need some customization (like paint jobs, wheels, ect ) covered, it gives them an edge in my book.

With the extra cost, i pay an extra 5 bucks a month over my previous insurer to cover my aftermarket goodies, good deal in my opinion.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
What you said is 100% correct, if you have a garage gem thats the way to go. I don't have a berger SS so that type of coverage & service does not apply to me haha
Haha! Well, there's really no need to have a Berger SS or anything else rare to get this sort of policy. It's all about what you use the car for. Here's an example:

My '98 Z28 is on an agreed value, collector type policy. It must be garage kept when not in use, it can't be used as daily transportation and I must own a daily driver (not insured with them), there is a minimum driver age requirement I believe (25 maybe?), and although there is no mileage restriction, the car can only be used for occasional pleasure driving and unlimited hobby purposes (shows, cruises, events, etc.). These restrictions are not a problem at all for me, as this is exactly how I planned on using the car anyway. Having said that, I was able to set my agreed value to cover me fully for every penny I've ever spent on the car (initial purchase price and all modifications). I'm covered for over $20k on this car, at an annual cost of about $300.

So it's really not about the rarity (nothing rare about a '98 Z28....lol), it's more about how you use the car and if you can qualify. Frankly, it would be a poor decision on my part to stick with "normal" insurance for this car, considering how I use it, what's it's worth to me, and how little it would be worth on a "normal" policy. State Farm might assign this car a value of $4-5k, because it's a 13 year old used Camaro. On the other hand, I see it as a mint condition, 16k mile, 97-point show car; good luck replacing THAT for $4k So for me, the decision was simple.

I have my Nova on this same policy and, ironically, with even higher coverage it's actually cheaper to insure. Their premium rates are lower for cars over 25 years old.

I don't have any beef with statefarms auto insurance, but after having bad experience with the home owners insurance side, they will have a hard time to win me over. I'm not gonna contest everything else you mentioned cuz you are right on.
Like someone said earlier in this thread, I'm sure there's bad stories about every insurance company, but State Farm has been good to me with my daily drivers. I've had 5 accidents in the last 16 years or so, none were my fault though, and they never raised my rates nor lowered my coverage. The claims process has always been hassle-free as well. So far, so good.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha! Well, there's really no need to have a Berger SS or anything else rare to get this sort of policy. It's all about what you use the car for. Here's an example:

My '98 Z28 is on an agreed value, collector type policy. It must be garage kept when not in use, it can't be used as daily transportation and I must own a daily driver (not insured with them), there is a minimum driver age requirement I believe (25 maybe?), and although there is no mileage restriction, the car can only be used for occasional pleasure driving and unlimited hobby purposes (shows, cruises, events, etc.). These restrictions are not a problem at all for me, as this is exactly how I planned on using the car anyway. Having said that, I was able to set my agreed value to cover me fully for every penny I've ever spent on the car (initial purchase price and all modifications). I'm covered for over $20k on this car, at an annual cost of about $300.

So it's really not about the rarity (nothing rare about a '98 Z28....lol), it's more about how you use the car and if you can qualify. Frankly, it would be a poor decision on my part to stick with "normal" insurance for this car, considering how I use it, what's it's worth to me, and how little it would be worth on a "normal" policy. State Farm might assign this car a value of $4-5k, because it's a 13 year old used Camaro. On the other hand, I see it as a mint condition, 16k mile, 97-point show car; good luck replacing THAT for $4k So for me, the decision was simple.

I have my Nova on this same policy and, ironically, with even higher coverage it's actually cheaper to insure. Their premium rates are lower for cars over 25 years old.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, I'm sure there's bad stories about every insurance company, but State Farm has been good to me with my daily drivers. I've had 5 accidents in the last 16 years or so, none were my fault though, and they never raised my rates nor lowered my coverage. The claims process has always been hassle-free as well. So far, so good.
oic, now that you put it that way, I might just look into that.

good write too up btw
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

They also have an option to cover aftermarket or custom accessories which is a big plus, i don't think geico covers that.
Geico does cover aftermarket parts, you just need to tell em what you got ahead of time. I got my rims listed on there for $1500. I think it raised my premium a few bucks though to do that. I made sure to do that after I lost a lot of money on my old car cause of the rims... stock rims are apperently only worth $300... =/

You will not find an insurance company anywhere in this country that will currently pay out $15k for an F-body on a standard-type insurance policy. You would need to go with a collector/agreed value type policy, or some sort of policy that's based on an appraisal, if you want that level of coverage.
I am not so sure you are right on that. Like I said before I got $11,800 when I totalled my 00 Trans Am, non WS6. The car was in mint condition though and had only 62k miles. I am willing to bet if I totalled my new 02 WS6 I would get pretty close to 15k. Well assuming they paid me out again lol...

Last edited by udienow; 07-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by udienow
I am willing to bet if I totalled my new 02 WS6 I would get pretty close to 15k.
I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't. Value of WS6 vs non-WS6 isn't much different from their perspective (it was only about a 10% difference when they were new). And you said that the other payout was 8 months ago on an '00 car, so the '02 car is only about one year newer at this point.

However, let's not find out. I'd rather see you keep your car....in one piece!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't. Value of WS6 vs non-WS6 isn't much different from their perspective (it was only about a 10% difference when they were new). And you said that the other payout was 8 months ago on an '00 car, so the '02 car is only about one year newer at this point.

However, let's not find out. I'd rather see you keep your car....in one piece!
Yeah i guess you are right... overthinking the value of the ws6. But yes very much not in to find out!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very good thread.

My 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula was crashed into while my wife and I were on Power Tour this past June.

Since the day of the accident I and my wife have been fighting with State Farm (the "At-Fault" Driver's Insurance) on almost every detail of the incident.

They have been uncompassionate, matter-of-fact, rude, and unwilling to compromise on almost every loss we attempt to submit. All around they've been extremely difficult to deal with. I have attempted to take my claim up the ladder by speaking with the claim handlers' supervisor only to end up at the same dead end.

If you currently have State Farm as your insurance provider, I see why you can afford their rates. They simply to refuse to pay anything out.

We did nothing wrong, yet we are being made to pay to get back to where we were prior to the accident. I have asked State Farm to explain to me why this is the case and each time they try to feed me their propaganda about "Value" and "Total Loss".

Its all a game and they are holding all the cards. Unless you are willing give a third of your settlement too a lawyer, you will never get what those ****** really owe you.

I have made a claim through my Insurance Co. (Progressive) and they have offered me slightly more than what State Farm has presented. Which is very cool of them, but I'm not so willing to just let State Farm off the hook with only having to cover my Deductible. Plus I don't see why I should have had to make a claim with my insurance at all when, again, this is not my fault.

Frustrating, aggravating, and all around not a pleasurable experience. State Farm has been given countless chances to the right thing, and instead they look the other way, or worse yet, simply refuse.

I ask you all to remember this story when it comes to renewing your insurance policy with State Farm.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Mumbles
This is a very good thread.

My 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula was crashed into while my wife and I were on Power Tour this past June.

Since the day of the accident I and my wife have been fighting with State Farm (the "At-Fault" Driver's Insurance) on almost every detail of the incident.

They have been uncompassionate, matter-of-fact, rude, and unwilling to compromise on almost every loss we attempt to submit. All around they've been extremely difficult to deal with. I have attempted to take my claim up the ladder by speaking with the claim handlers' supervisor only to end up at the same dead end.

If you currently have State Farm as your insurance provider, I see why you can afford their rates. They simply to refuse to pay anything out.

We did nothing wrong, yet we are being made to pay to get back to where we were prior to the accident. I have asked State Farm to explain to me why this is the case and each time they try to feed me their propaganda about "Value" and "Total Loss".

Its all a game and they are holding all the cards. Unless you are willing give a third of your settlement too a lawyer, you will never get what those ****** really owe you.

I have made a claim through my Insurance Co. (Progressive) and they have offered me slightly more than what State Farm has presented. Which is very cool of them, but I'm not so willing to just let State Farm off the hook with only having to cover my Deductible. Plus I don't see why I should have had to make a claim with my insurance at all when, again, this is not my fault.

Frustrating, aggravating, and all around not a pleasurable experience. State Farm has been given countless chances to the right thing, and instead they look the other way, or worse yet, simply refuse.

I ask you all to remember this story when it comes to renewing your insurance policy with State Farm.
Not to make light of your situation in any way (sounds like you're unfairly getting the shaft), but this is also a good example of how State Farm will fight for their customers (maybe too much in this instance, since it was the other party's fault). This battle that you are currently fighting is one that you would not be fighting if you had SF and the other party had Progressive, because SF would do the fighting for you (at least that's been my experience with them in the past).

Just another take on the situation, from a different perspective.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Mumbles, thank you for the detailed experience. I'm sorry you have experienced this but it isn't surprising to me in the slightest. Insurance companies only look out for their bottom line. Customers??
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to make light of your situation in any way (sounds like you're unfairly getting the shaft), but this is also a good example of how State Farm will fight for their customers (maybe too much in this instance, since it was the other party's fault). This battle that you are currently fighting is one that you would not be fighting if you had SF and the other party had Progressive, because SF would do the fighting for you (at least that's been my experience with them in the past).

Just another take on the situation, from a different perspective.
Originally Posted by NC01TA
Mumbles, thank you for the detailed experience. I'm sorry you have experienced this but it isn't surprising to me in the slightest. Insurance companies only look out for their bottom line. Customers??
Thanks for the perspectives guys. Here is another...

Is this accident not a perfect opportunity for State Farm to earn a new customer or customers (I & my wife and the people we tell about our situation)?

Again, they could have swooped in and said, "Mr. & Mrs. Frederick what can we do to make this right?", completely "Wowed" us with their service, had my car well on its way to being back on the road, and had the check waiting to cover medical bills. If this was the case, I would have absolutely no problem switching to their coverage.

Instead they chose to insult us, low-ball me with every offer, and drag their feet every chance they get. Because of this, I will take every opportunity to run them down for the pieces of @#$% they are.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll throw my hat into the ring.... I've been with Farm Bureau for about 5 years not. My wife has been with them for 15. Whe we got married, they treated me just like family, even gave me a 15% discount due to "length of membership." Treated me just like I had been there as long as my wife.

For Hurricane Rita, a Live Oak fell over and crushed my wife's car, which at the time was a really old Maxima. She called them the next day and told them. They said no problem, and got a check right out in the mail. They gave her almost 2k more than what her car was anywhere near being worth. (Keep in mind this is sight unseen)

About a week later the wrecker arrived to pick up her car, along with the adjuster, for paperwork signatures. She asked about her rims, and he said, yeah, go ahead and take them. Car's gonna be crushed anyways. Apparently you're not normally allowed to take any parts off the car?

All in all, everytime I have ever needed them, there was NO hassle, and trust across the board. I always felt like I was talking with an old friend, vice a salesman or a "company man."

Farm Bureau gets my vote.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have my aunt as my insurance agent. She is a broker for a local company so she can shop around for quotes/etc. Of course I'm paying a little extra for going through a broker but the benefits far outweigh the costs imo. My aunt just moved my policy to progressive and I must say, the prices are excellent. I have two speeding violations on my driving record still (they stay on your record for five years). I feel like we're getting a great price for sure. I've yet to file a claim, no hope to never have to but whatever thats the name of the insurance game!

Anyone else have any experience with Progrssive Auto Insurance? What about their homeowners?