General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is this normal for power steering fluid? Pic inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this normal for power steering fluid? Pic inside.

My car is a 99 SS with a power steering cooler. My fluid level is always high and is constanty seeping around the cap. I've flushed my coolant and it wasn't contaminated with ps fluid. I'm confused. Is this normal? Why is my fluid always seeping around the cap, as you can see from the picture. I just cleaned up the ps pump a week ago. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert on power steering problems but I do know that when oil and coolant are mixed, that is what the outcome is.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no !!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My antifreeze isn't contanminated and the level is never low.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

mine looks exactly the same. nasty brown murky ****. and i dont have a power steering cooler... i do have a leak in my rack but that shouldnt mean anything
Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my bandit
mine looks exactly the same. nasty brown murky ****. and i dont have a power steering cooler... i do have a leak in my rack but that shouldnt mean anything
Yeah, my car's ps runs just fine and I don't have an issue with it. The color is just concerning. When I pull the motor out I will probably flush all the old fluid out but if this is bad I'll do it now.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced the reservoir cap and it still seeps. I even deleted the factory power steering cooler and replaced it with an aftermarket one and it still seeps through. However, my fluid did not have that color. It was just dark, I guess from being old fluid. I drained the old fluid and added new power steering fluid and its the normal clear color now. Definately look into why your fluid is that color. It looks like the factory cooler might be mixing coolant and power steering fluid.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Could this be another case on the bad old dexcool? lol
Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

that color does not look right... something def mixing...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

look like it mix with water. pump it out with hand pump and keep refill til it clear. if it still hapent, mabe time to delete that ps cooler.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not normal. I would pull your cooler and try to inspect it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Fluid is cheap, get a couple qts of dexmerc or PS fluid and flush that **** out and put fresh in.

Also replace the cap. If it turns into **** stew again you will know you have a problem, previous owner might have fixed it but not changed fluid.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Fluid is cheap, get a couple qts of dexmerc or PS fluid and flush that **** out and put fresh in.

Also replace the cap. If it turns into **** stew again you will know you have a problem, previous owner might have fixed it but not changed fluid.
That may be true. I flushed all the dexcool out of the car and just put in regular green antifeeze and it doesn't look contaminated so it's possible.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

On my old 97 I did an LS1 swap into, we did not use a power steering cooler, and the power steering fluid was always nasty as hell like that. Power steering pump also whined a lot. Turns out a seal was bad, we just replaced the pump anyway, and problem solved.

I'd at least try and flush it out first
Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
I replaced the reservoir cap and it still seeps. I even deleted the factory power steering cooler and replaced it with an aftermarket one and it still seeps through. However, my fluid did not have that color. It was just dark, I guess from being old fluid. I drained the old fluid and added new power steering fluid and its the normal clear color now. Definately look into why your fluid is that color. It looks like the factory cooler might be mixing coolant and power steering fluid.
Mine leaks as well. I don't know where it's from, but it the belt spins and sprays fluid on the underside of my hood. Pump was replaced a long tome ago. It's a slow leak, so it never bothers me. Glad u reminded me of the cap which I suspected 2yrs ago, but simply forgot about with time.

To the OP, that's a definite mix with something. I would venture to say water or coolant. I don't believe overheating will cause it to look like that
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was seeping at the cap last year, I just replaced the cap and it stopped.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

First, get rid of the damned PS cooler, and run an external.

Second, flush the **** out of your system.

1) Put the front of your car on jackstands, so the front wheels are off the ground

2) Disconnect the line going into the botom of the reservoir; driver side

3) Immidiately cap the tit coming from the ps reservoir, that you just disconnected the line from

4) hang a pair of vice grips or something with weight onto the end of the disconnected line; point it into something to catch all the **** you're about to flush out

5) Get wife off the computer from her shopping spree and tell her to come lend a hand. Offer latex gloves, if need be

6) (Position Optional, you or her) Get in and start the car. DON'T turn wheel, yet

**Very important here that you DO NOT let the reservoir run dry**

7) Have whoever is in the seat start to slowly turn the wheel left to right, lock to lock. As this is happening, PS fluid will be PISSING out of that disconnected hose. (Hope you remembered the bit of weight on the end of the line)

As the fluid is coming out of the hose be pouring new fluid in and keeping the reservoir full.

**Have you A FEW bottles of fluid already opened and ready to go. Trust me, you can't keep up with the flow while trying to not only open the bottle, but take off that damned piece of foil / seal on them**

8) When you see the fluid coming back clean, or until you are satisfied, have whoever stop rurning the wheel. Grab the disconnected line, remove vacuum cap from fitting on bottom of reservoir, and put it back on. Hopefully you remembered the little crimp ring....

9)Top off as needed, until full.

You have successfully flushed you PS system. **High Five Self**

If you chose to leave your factory cooler on, all this has been done for naught. It WILL fail, if it hasn't already. Mine was leaking into my PS fluid, and I didn't even notice a drop in coolant level, and I had no PS fluid in my coolant. It was just going one way.

"Power Steering Cooler Sucess" is a great thread.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
First, get rid of the damned PS cooler, and run an external.

Second, flush the **** out of your system.

1) Put the front of your car on jackstands, so the front wheels are off the ground

2) Disconnect the line going into the botom of the reservoir; driver side

3) Immidiately cap the tit coming from the ps reservoir, that you just disconnected the line from

4) hang a pair of vice grips or something with weight onto the end of the disconnected line; point it into something to catch all the **** you're about to flush out

5) Get wife off the computer from her shopping spree and tell her to come lend a hand. Offer latex gloves, if need be

6) (Position Optional, you or her) Get in and start the car. DON'T turn wheel, yet

**Very important here that you DO NOT let the reservoir run dry**

7) Have whoever is in the seat start to slowly turn the wheel left to right, lock to lock. As this is happening, PS fluid will be PISSING out of that disconnected hose. (Hope you remembered the bit of weight on the end of the line)

As the fluid is coming out of the hose be pouring new fluid in and keeping the reservoir full.

**Have you A FEW bottles of fluid already opened and ready to go. Trust me, you can't keep up with the flow while trying to not only open the bottle, but take off that damned piece of foil / seal on them**

8) When you see the fluid coming back clean, or until you are satisfied, have whoever stop rurning the wheel. Grab the disconnected line, remove vacuum cap from fitting on bottom of reservoir, and put it back on. Hopefully you remembered the little crimp ring....

9)Top off as needed, until full.

You have successfully flushed you PS system. **High Five Self**

If you chose to leave your factory cooler on, all this has been done for naught. It WILL fail, if it hasn't already. Mine was leaking into my PS fluid, and I didn't even notice a drop in coolant level, and I had no PS fluid in my coolant. It was just going one way.

"Power Steering Cooler Sucess" is a great thread.

Hope this helps.

This is great, thanks. A question though. What kind of cooler do I get? I want one that will utilize the factory hoses if at all possible. Also, can I just get a radiator house for a car without the ps cooler to replace the one there now, for cosmetic reasons?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
The Scammer Hammer

That's exactly what I did.

Advance Auto / Autozone: Hose, PS cooler delete: E71981 (same part # from both stores. It's a Dayco hose for cars w/o power steering)

Autozone, for the fluid cooler, Part # 911009

Pics can be found HERE.

This is a good thread, and will help you TREMENDOUSLY. Read it.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
That's exactly what I did.

Advance Auto / Autozone: Hose, PS cooler delete: E71981 (same part # from both stores. It's a Dayco hose for cars w/o power steering)

Autozone, for the fluid cooler, Part # 911009

Pics can be found HERE.

This is a good thread, and will help you TREMENDOUSLY. Read it.
Perfect. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Is this normal for power steering fluid? Pic inside.