General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cheapest LS based 600hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of stuff you want to look at here beside it being cheap...you can throw something together that is "cheap" but the likelihood of it lasting is low. You have to think about the rest of your drivetrain as well. Slamming 600 hp into a stock G-body rear is a recipe for disaster. An 8.5 rear upgrade is a good start but launching with slicks is going to shorten its and the transmission's life if not properly set-up. Suspension on the G-body is also something else to look at. Not a lot of effort needs to go into it but you aren't getting down the track with a bone stock G-body suspension (I have an '84 Cutlass racecar). The 5.3L turbo set-up is not a bad route, but remember you need a radiator, fuel system, intercooler or alcohol, etc...It is not going to be as cheap as you are expecting.

For the 10 sec slip....you don't need 600 hp...A good friend of mine is getting a '69 Chevelle with a 6.2 L, Carbed, 200R4 in the 10s and driving that pig to the track. No special weight reduction...I doubt he is making 600 horse. His recipe is simple...but it works well.

Good luck with what you decide to do but you definitely do NOT need boost to reach your goals...doesn't hurt but does add another layer of complexity to deal with.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Main reason I was thinking turbo is, well, easy power and I have done quite a few cheap turbo setups. I have done a few setup on different cars all right around the $1k range. When I say that, I am NOT counting the fuel system (other than bigger injectors) because I'd need to change the fuel system anyways to do the swap at all. So, turbo, WG, BOV, IC/piping, injectors, exhaust. I'd buy used turbo, WG and BOV, probably $500 in that. IC/piping in the $200-$300 range and used injectors probably $200ish as well.

I have made one decision, I am going with the LM7. I found a handful of them at a local yard in the $300-$500 range all running/driving with 100K or less on them. So, that being said, are there any good junkyard mods for the LM7 I should know about?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
An LM7 + turbo may cost as much or more than a LQ build and FWIW you won't get 600hp out of a stock bottom LM7 and have it last long because that would require about 14psi. Really you won't get 600hp reliably out of an LQ either. The stock crank will be fine but the hypereutectic pistons won't like it. And just to let you know these motors can reliably spin 6500 stock or more if built with better rod bolts. Oh and if you decide to spray a stock bottom stick around a 150 hit and get a GOOD tune. After that things get iffy...

IMO the cheapest RELIABLE way to do it is to get a built short block setup for n2o and some good heads and hit with a 200+ shot and you will break 600 at the wheels pretty easily and run low 10's or better. The tricky part can be getting that kind of power to the ground..

EDIT: I know it is cliche but the old saying "Pick any two..cheap, fast, reliable" holds true....
Very untrue. A 5.3 properly boosted will last a long time, just because 90% of the people that throw a turbo on their **** *** motor blow up doesn't mean it isn't done on a regular basis by others. Do you research and decide which route is for you. For me, it all comes down to what you are familiar with, if you've never touched a turbo in your life before, I'd shy away from it and go with spray.

Edit: Just to throw it out there though, if you think 1,000 bucks is going to be enough, you're fooling yourself.

Quick Reply: cheapest LS based 600hp?