General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

6th Generation Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conrad
kind of like that. Both bumpers and some other small changes will be had. I can't give anything away though. I love being the son of a gm manager, you guys can wait to find out!
:stfu:
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't necessarily disagree with much of what you said, but that quote above is a bit funny. Camaro wasn't a hatchback until 1982, which leaves 15 years of original heritage as being a hardtop coupe, vs. 20 years of being a hatchback (figures not including the 5th gen). Seems like both formats have a strong place in Camaro history, IMO.
Haha, I was going to say the same thing.

Personally I LIKE the fact that it's not a hatchback, I think GM might have went wrong when they went that route with the 3rd gen. Although the added cargo room over the 2nd gens is MUCH appreciated!

Considering it STARTED out as a long hood/short deck design, some would say (about the fifth gen as compared to the 3rd and 4th) that finally they HAVE started making the Camaro again.

Personally I'm glad they have nothing to do with the 4th gens. Yes, we love these cars, they still look good and are fun to drive. But the reality is that they were pretty much shitboxes, they were never really well put together or well designed.

For the 6th gen, or more than likely 5th gen 2.0, I'd like to see the same looks ( I LOVE the way the car looks) but a new interior and somehow less weight. Actually, the best version would be if they just bought a bunch of '69 bodies from Dynacorn and stuffed all modern guts and interiors into them.

And I bet that concept car shown in the first post was pretty hot looking back in '03. Styling has changed a loooong way since then.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They better change the rear, I think that's the ugliest rear on a car in recent history....

Other than that, and slight interior miscues, and weight....I don't mind the 5th gens at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

its going to be slightly smaller, its sharing the same platform as the Cadillac (ATS i believe).

they're shooting for it to be lighter. if they bring it to 3400 or 3500 pounds i'd be content. look at what the new corvette, malibu, impala and caprice will be doing for hints.

if they end up do making the LS5 for the corvette with direct inject for its next generation, i will bet the Camaro will follow suit the next year.

2015-16 will be an exciting year for GM cars, i cant wait.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Personally I'm glad they have nothing to do with the 4th gens. Yes, we love these cars, they still look good and are fun to drive. But the reality is that they were pretty much shitboxes, they were never really well put together or well designed.
That has not been my experience at all. I've been driving them for 12+ years now, and I've never owned a more reliable car (including my wife's toyota, which I am ashamed was ever in our driveway). 4th gens fit me like a glove, so no complaints there, and other than a minor t-top creaking in the winter, I have zero rattles in my 100k mile 4th gen. Never had a major parts failure, never left me stranded. Great cars, IMO. Only one that was ever an issue for me was one that I modded heavily, and then the issues were due to said mods (my fault, not GM's).

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
They better change the rear, I think that's the ugliest rear on a car in recent history....
Agreed. Cosmetically, my biggest problem with the 5th gen is the rear. It's sad that something nicer didn't make it to production.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

ive heard and read itll be a different and lighter design.

but like it or not 5th gens are a successful vehicle for GM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the current exterior of the 5th gen, in SS form anyway. And yes the interior will be improved + better visibility.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

That has not been my experience at all. I've been driving them for 12+ years now, and I've never owned a more reliable car (including my wife's toyota, which I am ashamed was ever in our driveway). 4th gens fit me like a glove, so no complaints there, and other than a minor t-top creaking in the winter, I have zero rattles in my 100k mile 4th gen. Never had a major parts failure, never left me stranded. Great cars, IMO. Only one that was ever an issue for me was one that I modded heavily, and then the issues were due to said mods (my fault, not GM's).

Agreed. Cosmetically, my biggest problem with the 5th gen is the rear. It's sad that something nicer didn't make it to production.
That's true, I forgot about the rear. That definitely needs an update. I cringe every time I look at those tail lights.

And I agree, my 4th gen has actually been very reliable too. It's just all the little issues, the inefficient use of interior space, horrible ride, creaks and rattles, and somewhat chintzy interior that makes it not that great of a package. If I didn't love that car I'd hate it, if that makes any sense.

The engine is great, they're fun to drive, and great to look at. Although whoever said 4th gen Camaros need help is 100% correct. The SS's look okay, but a stock 4th gen Z28 is incredible boring to look at, IMO.

Even a base sixer 5th gen looks great.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope they make suttle changes to the body, pull some weight out, give it a big 'ole powerful LS motor that pushes 500hp, SRA!!!! (get rid of that IRS.... Leave that for the vettes), and keep the M6/A6.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Although whoever said 4th gen Camaros need help is 100% correct. The SS's look okay, but a stock 4th gen Z28 is incredible boring to look at, IMO.

Even a base sixer 5th gen looks great.
Well, we could debate all night about body/interior/mechanical quality of the 4th gen, and make good arguements on both sides. However, appearance is strictly subjective, so a debate is pointless because nobody can ever win.

I like 4th gen Z28s (or SSs, I like them equally) so much that I've owned 3 of them, and will probably own at least one for the rest of my life. I prefer the styling of a 4th gen Z28 or SS over a 5th gen at any trim level. Having said that, I think the 5th gen is one of the better looking new cars on the market today, and it's a good choice for people who prioritize having a brand new car with a full warranty (obviously a 4th gen can't win in that category at this point).
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the camaro died in 02 ,and is never coming back
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer the styling of a 4th gen Z28 or SS over a 5th gen at any trim level.
Amen to that...
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Haha, I was going to say the same thing.

Personally I LIKE the fact that it's not a hatchback, I think GM might have went wrong when they went that route with the 3rd gen. Although the added cargo room over the 2nd gens is MUCH appreciated!

I daily drove my 86 TA for 4 years and I can honestly say that I would never want anything but a hatchback in a sports car. It's so convienent to throw a fishing pole in, groceries, basically anything you would want to throw into your car will fit. Plus the ease of cleaning the back window!

As far as the shitbox thing, some may argue that they weren't designed the best, but if I wanted luxury and a cushy seat and smooth ride for my baby ***, I'd buy a BMW......I wanted a rumbling V8, manual tranny, and T-tops so I can get a tan, feel every bump in the road, and be the man I am. Thats why I bought a trans am.

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I hope they make suttle changes to the body, pull some weight out, give it a big 'ole powerful LS motor that pushes 500hp, SRA!!!! (get rid of that IRS.... Leave that for the vettes), and keep the M6/A6.
They'll never lose weight. Government motors, I mean GM, is getting too fancy now with onstar, 27 airbags, and all the other electronic crap so they can shut your car off if your speeding or have a locator on you at all times. Hate to say it, but I lost my faith in GM a while back. The only car I can say I truly still like from them is the vette. Give me a new 5.0 anyday over that new turd of a camaro. I do agree with you about the IRS though. Ditch it and bring back a solid axle, and only then will I have a small amount of respect for the 5th gen.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
They'll never lose weight. Government motors, I mean GM, is getting too fancy now with onstar, 27 airbags, and all the other electronic crap so they can shut your car off if your speeding or have a locator on you at all times. Hate to say it, but I lost my faith in GM a while back.
It's not just GM...everyone is doing that now. Even shitboxes like the Hyundai Accent and Foerd Fiesta come stardard with tons of airbags, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.

All this goverment mandated stuff is adding weight like crazy to newer cars.

Plus all the convenience and power options that everyone wants. You can't really call them shitboxes anymore...they have options that you couldn't even get in a higher end luxo car ten years ago.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I had 2 4th gens that went through some hell and still kept tickin..lol..they were fun to drive.

I test drove a 2010 SS and wasnt really impressed..I figured it'd have more than it did. It was black, we called it the Panzer..lol..

As far as the gov safety ****, I stick with the oldschool full frame car..
Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=NightmareTA;15223834]I daily drove my 86 TA for 4 years and I can honestly say that I would never want anything but a hatchback in a sports car. It's so convienent to throw a fishing pole in, groceries, basically anything you would want to throw into your car will fit. Plus the ease of cleaning the back window!

As far as the shitbox thing, some may argue that they weren't designed the best, but if I wanted luxury and a cushy seat and smooth ride for my baby ***, I'd buy a BMW......I wanted a rumbling V8, manual tranny, and T-tops so I can get a tan, feel every bump in the road, and be the man I am. Thats why I bought a trans am.

Dude you may be my long lost brother. Lol, I sold my 01 BMW 330i to buy my first Camaro about 8 months ago and love it! The BMW drove amazing but this cat just fits me better. My friends think so too. And as far as the cargo room, I can haul more stuff in this car than I ever could in the four door bimmer. I have no complaints.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

..they have options that you couldn't even get in a higher end luxo car ten years ago.
Yeah but our cars have tapedecks lol...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Yeah but our cars have tapedecks lol...
Haha, not mine! But my '97 Grand Cherokee has a cd AND tape deck. Pretty freakin' sweet.

And okay, I concede that the hatchback is useful. After reading some of the other posts I remember how I've fit some big stuff back there that no way would I have fit in a car with a trunklid.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SHORTZ A KILLA
Anybody have an ideas what the next design may look like? I'm guessing some design cues from the 2003 Chevy SS Concept maybe and the 2nd Gen Camaro. Would be interesting to see a CAD sketch. I was really hoping to see the SS make it to production but it seems it was a design study for current models-cruze & malibu(Front ends) -Just for BS Talk
if it looks like hat then i just threw up in my mouth and wiped my *** with the brochure for that car.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Here's what's going to happen, GM is going to suceed in producing a car that is even more awful than the 5th gen.

Quick Reply: 6th Generation Camaro