General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

5.3L Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.3L Colorado

Anyone drive or own one? What's your overall opinion of the truck?

I'm looking at an extended cab 2LT 4x4 with the v8. Looks like 4.10 rear gears are a factory option too.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has one at the dealership he works at and he says it's a pretty quick truck and lots of people are always looking at it.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

I thought I remember seeing the stats when they first came out. the v8 wasnt any quicker than the I-5. I had a colorado crew cab with the I-5. The truck was nothing but issues so I traded it in on a Silverado. Things are much better now. Not cramped anymore, I have an actual bed, and it doesnt give me fits.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

if ur hauling or towing anything go with a fullsize truck, if size is an issue get a regular cab v8 truck. Not that the truck doesnt have any HP, cuz it does, but it doesn't have the towing or hauling capacity that a fullsize truck offers. You can't haul a mowing tractor, fridge, couch, washer+dryers ect.. I used to sell all of those, and people with colorados and rangers would try to strap em to the bed, and there just isnt enough room in the bed to haul anything, and forget it if u have a tool box. You should have some towing capabilities depending on what your towing obviously, it'll have the HP to haul something but the supporting suspension will limit you to what u can and can't haul.

It would be great for off roading, HWY driving, small family leisure loading, towing a medium size fishing boat, work truck, small garage space, stuff like that
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
if ur hauling or towing anything go with a fullsize truck, if size is an issue get a regular cab v8 truck. Not that the truck doesnt have any HP, cuz it does, but it doesn't have the towing or hauling capacity that a fullsize truck offers. You can't haul a mowing tractor, fridge, couch, washer+dryers ect.. I used to sell all of those, and people with colorados and rangers would try to strap em to the bed, and there just isnt enough room in the bed to haul anything, and forget it if u have a tool box. You should have some towing capabilities depending on what your towing obviously, it'll have the HP to haul something but the supporting suspension will limit you to what u can and can't haul.

It would be great for off roading, HWY driving, small family leisure loading, towing a medium size fishing boat, work truck, small garage space, stuff like that
I think if people actually use a truck for "working" then they'll buy an appropriate truck. Most people around my town with big fancy trucks just drive them to the mall and back.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its really not worth it. Fuel economy between the Colorado and Silverado 5.3 is the same. If your gonna get a Colorado get a 3.7, if not, get a Silverado.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wav3form
I think if people actually use a truck for "working" then they'll buy an appropriate truck. Most people around my town with big fancy trucks just drive them to the mall and back.
LOLLLLL or buy big lifted trucks but never go offroad
Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Its really not worth it. Fuel economy between the Colorado and Silverado 5.3 is the same. If your gonna get a Colorado get a 3.7, if not, get a Silverado.
Exactly, I was going to say the same thing. Colorado's get crap gas mileage for what they are, it's a much lesser truck versus a fullsize Chevy which starts at about 4k more, but it's totally worth the extra money if you consider what you're getting (MPG's, towing capabilities, space, etc., etc.).

Quick Reply: 5.3L Colorado