General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help me decide on my next car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to test drive that C5Z in the morning, see how it fits. How fast are the base models C5s on the strip?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant go wrong with the vette. It feels totally different driving than a f-body. Handles a lot better. As for performance at the drag strip, a stock LS1 C5 is pretty equal to a LS1 f-body.

The Z06 is obviously going to be faster.

The first day out at the track in my 02 Z06, I ran a best of 12.6 @ 112 bone stock with 30psi of air in the tires, full weight, and only made 3 passes.

The biggest down fall is the cost of modding them. If you're looking for a drag car, go with the f-body. If you want a fun street cruiser, C5. All day. I love mine.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

At risk of starting some kind of argument, how in the hell is the f-body and the C5 equal on the strip? I would have guessed the C5 should be in the mid 12's.

I have been doin some research on the price of C5's. I wouldn't mind a high mile car with good interior. Like I said, the engine will be coming out anyway at some point. How is it to work on these things compared to an f-body?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSXNV
At risk of starting some kind of argument, how in the hell is the f-body and the C5 equal on the strip? I would have guessed the C5 should be in the mid 12's.

I have been doin some research on the price of C5's. I wouldn't mind a high mile car with good interior. Like I said, the engine will be coming out anyway at some point. How is it to work on these things compared to an f-body?
to work on youself? practically the same
To have somebody work on it for you? Polar opposites, ok i exaggerate but its safe to assume your going to fork over abit more jus cuz its a corvette c5 or c5z
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, I will be doing all the work myself. Except any machine work of coarse. To include the transmission. The IRS will be a new animal to me though. So as far as getting to everything, the f-body and the vette are the same?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to address this, mid 12's would be up there with LS2 C6 territory. But yeah, the F-Body and C5 are pretty damn close in a straight line, I mean they make the same exact power output, it's just the weight differences between the two that makes one a little faster than the other. The edge going to the Corvette of course, but I'd be willing to bet just one single bolt-on would probably put the F-Body over the edge.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I would have guessed the C5 should be in the mid 12's.
Not unless it's a Z06. As stated above, the C5 will have a slight edge over the F-body in a straight line due to weight, but not much.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Chances are it wouldn't be stock for very long. I guess I am just looking at it from a platform standpoint. I would like something that I can get to pull 1g in a skid pad, knock of some low 11's and cruise in to a little cruise in and chill. I am a little nervous about an IRS. I have NO experience with them at all. Don't know what to do with them or how to do it.

Also, what are some choice options to look out for? And the PIA's that only a C5 would have? I do like to pitch my cars in the corners and any kind of TC or TM would annoy me. I am not even a fan of ABS but its a give in with any modern car.

p.s. I am leaving here to go test the C5Z soon!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vette specific parts are typically more expensive than f-body stuff. American Racing headers (awesome quality) cost about $1800 compared to pasesetter headers for f-bodies which are $350ish. My trans was a few hundred more than a f-body one...

My Z06 is an awesome street car. Drives like stock, is capable of running low 11's/10's on a good tire, isnt obnoxious, and will put you back in the seat. It WASNT cheap, but its nothing like anything else I've ever been in before. It handles great too.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

C5 all day baby! FTW
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Chances are it wouldn't be stock for very long. I guess I am just looking at it from a platform standpoint. I would like something that I can get to pull 1g in a skid pad, knock of some low 11's and cruise in to a little cruise in and chill.
If these are the only goals, there is no need to buy a Corvette, as a C5 will not do all these things in stock form either. However, several cars can be made to do exactly what you have listed.

If you buy a C5, it should be because you like that specific car. Otherwise, figure out which car it is you like, and spend the time and money modding said car to your liking.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Remember when talking about straight line, you could likely get a better launch with the f-body's solid rear axle. This makes sense as the Corvette handles better with IRS. Kind of a trade off between the two cars. This would even the playing field at a drag strip though and make times almost identical, with a possible higher trap going to the vette because of less weight and better aero.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remember, you can still get an f-body to handle as good or better than a stock C5 with simple suspension mods, just that the C5 platform has better handling potential, especially on rough roads.

If you are still considering an f-body, look into a Watts link....it might be what you're looking for if you go that route (helps offset some of the SRA geometry drawbacks). With that, good shocks, sways, and a set of springs (if you so choose), it'll be a completely different car.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

if you don't go with a vette, i'd keep your current t/a and swap a monster of an engine into it
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by why87
if you don't go with a vette, i'd keep your current t/a and swap a monster of an engine into it
That was my original plan. I might still keep it. I dunno. It seems like I can get everything in a Trans-Am that I would want from a C5. Well except actually owning a C5.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

anything but the gto, although the gto interior is way better than the c5 or 4th gen t/a. C5's are nice but I'd check insurance first on the car you like if that plays a factor.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

That was my original plan. I might still keep it. I dunno. It seems like I can get everything in a Trans-Am that I would want from a C5. Well except actually owning a C5.
Bingo. That's what I'm about too... I just don't want to drive around the All-American mid-life crisis car... no offense
Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by idle
Bingo. That's what I'm about too... I just don't want to drive around the All-American mid-life crisis car... no offense
I would. I rarely see a modded corvette around here (jacksonville, FL). They're almost all stock. That saddens me because there is so much potential that the owners just don't care about

I agree with why87.
How was the C5Z test drive???
Old 08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
I would. I rarely see a modded corvette around here (jacksonville, FL). They're almost all stock. That saddens me because there is so much potential that the owners just don't care about

I agree with why87.
How was the C5Z test drive???
There is always a trade-off with engine modifications. I probably wouldn't buy a C5 at this point, but I WOULD buy a C6, likely with an LS3. It's a low 12 second, 115+ MPH car. Unless you spend lots of time at the track, there is little reason to do more than basic bolt-ons to a car like that. It's great to drive just as it is.