General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Speedometer past 155

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Yea...sorry I should have specified lol. It takes a lot of power to go faster and faster....the faster you go the more you need to over come, downforce, air/wind, rolling resistance, and much more. I was also talking about the standing mile...you should be able to do it with a little less power but once again unless your running in a specific catagory trying to break a record their usually pretty tight about that stuff. Wheres that record for that 180mph run and what was it in?
So frustrating, I can't find the video. I once saw a video made in 1997, they tested an assortment of cars in that year and their top speed. Mustang GT with no limiter hit 143MPH.

The LT1 Camaro Z28 or SS, forget which one, went 172MPH!

I'm fairly sure the LS1 in 2002 would have just enough power to overcome 172MPH and touch 180MPH.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea possibly on a very long good surface.. perfect conditions with a tail wind...other then that I highly doubt it....doable? I guess so lol
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Yea possibly on a very long good surface.. perfect conditions with a tail wind...other then that I highly doubt it....doable? I guess so lol
I can't find the video right now, but I know I saw the 1997 Camaro go over 170MPH in a test with a long runway, it's very believable that the LS1 Camaro could hit 180MPH.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

http://www.guerragroup.com/2000TA.htm

http://youtu.be/MdfiJC9hKFY
Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks like so much fun. I want to do that sometime.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I've had my SS over 155. Not sure how fast it was but it was well past the 155. I guess I don't understand everyone's concern about it being scary and unstable. My suspension is all stock and the car felt stable and well-planted. I was more worried about encountering a police car than anything else. I was on a nice, flat, straight road with good visibility and no traffic. No big deal really. My 2006 Eclipse on the other hand, that car was a handful past 130. I would have no reservations about driving my Camaro past 160 if it wasn't for the pesky speed limits /cops.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
I've had my SS over 155. Not sure how fast it was but it was well past the 155. I guess I don't understand everyone's concern about it being scary and unstable. My suspension is all stock and the car felt stable and well-planted. I was more worried about encountering a police car than anything else. I was on a nice, flat, straight road with good visibility and no traffic. No big deal really. My 2006 Eclipse on the other hand, that car was a handful past 130. I would have no reservations about driving my Camaro past 160 if it wasn't for the pesky speed limits /cops.
Well what's the mileage on your car? I've got 70,000 on my stock suspension, and it gets a bit shaky past 120MPH.

People are scared of those speeds usually because anything bad that happens at those speeds is almost certain death, or at least a very bad wreck.

Last thing I would be worried about is a cop, at 155MPH is he really going to be able to chase you?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Another thing to consider if you just want to be able to know how fast your going is to learn how fast you are going at what RPM in what gear. Then you will be able to know how fast your going because even though the speedo will be burried at 155 the RPM's will continue to rise. That's how all the race car drivers do it since most don't have speedometers.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

My car has 66,000 mi, but it's been babied and never been a daily driver. I keep everything like new.

Since you're at NAS Meridian, you may be familiar with the phrase "behind the power curve." I know that phrase has been bastardized, but for aviators, it means things are happening faster than you can process them and respond. The airplane is flying you. IMO if you can't see far enough to react, and you're not going around a closed course where you know what to expect, this is not the time to go fast.

Oh and let's understand one thing: You pass a cop at 150+, they WILL catch you. You can't sustain those speeds. The cop can only go 130 or so, but he can sustain it. It isn't even his car, so he doesn't care. Plus he has a radio, and every cop in the WORLD will come and help. Yes passing a cop at that speed is a valid concern, and probably a night in the slammer.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
My car has 66,000 mi, but it's been babied and never been a daily driver. I keep everything like new.

Since you're at NAS Meridian, you may be familiar with the phrase "behind the power curve." I know that phrase has been bastardized, but for aviators, it means things are happening faster than you can process them and respond. The airplane is flying you. IMO if you can't see far enough to react, and you're not going around a closed course where you know what to expect, this is not the time to go fast.

Oh and let's understand one thing: You pass a cop at 150+, they WILL catch you. You can't sustain those speeds. The cop can only go 130 or so, but he can sustain it. It isn't even his car, so he doesn't care. Plus he has a radio, and every cop in the WORLD will come and help. Yes passing a cop at that speed is a valid concern, and probably a night in the slammer.
At 155MPH the cop will only see the color and maybe the type of car...if you see the cop begin to pull out after you, or suspect he might engage and chase you, then all you have to do is take the next exit and get off the road. Sure he can radio ahead, but what good will that do if he doesn't know what road you're on? Car might be hot in the area for a little bit, but it's not like they have your license plate number.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually jump off 1 or 2 exits after and duck off into some side streets....its worked so far lol
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
At 155MPH the cop will only see the color and maybe the type of car...if you see the cop begin to pull out after you, or suspect he might engage and chase you, then all you have to do is take the next exit and get off the road. Sure he can radio ahead, but what good will that do if he doesn't know what road you're on? Car might be hot in the area for a little bit, but it's not like they have your license plate number.
Are you seriously discussing how to evade law enforcement?

If you (or anyone, really) go at such ridiculous speeds on public roadways and get caught I'll be one of the last people to have any sympathy for you. If you wreck your car in the process I'll feel bad for the car, but not really for you. I just hope that if you did wreck, it wouldn't involve anyone else as nobody deserves to have some moron ruin their day (or their life, as the case may be sometimes).
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah getting caught driving triple digit speeds, even under the safest conditions will go down in your history as a ****-for-brains stunt, and cost you some $$$, but no biggy. Evading them is a felony and pretty much the end of your happy life unless you make your living dealing dope.

That said, you should go to a NASCAR race. A car going 155 is not a blur. Reading plates may be a stretch but getting a good description is not. The risks of trying to escape at this point are A. You sustain your high speeds and crash. B. You slow down, preserving your life and get caught. C. You make your series of exits/turns only to encounter one of the 30 cops hurtling in that direction and get tossed in the hole.

Sorry to take this otherwise useful thread on a tangent but please, if you pull a top speed run and get nabbed, pull over and take your medicine. The risks of trying to ditch law enforcement are too great. And remember: cops drive fast, all day, every day. No one has the ***** to drive as fast as a cop who's been on the streets a few years. Do not underestimate how fast the **** will be up to your neck if you pull a stunt like this.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm fairly sure the LS1 in 2002 would have just enough power to overcome 172MPH and touch 180MPH.
Yeaaa, I doubt that's possible.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

If you (or anyone, really) go at such ridiculous speeds on public roadways and get caught I'll be one of the last people to have any sympathy for you. If you wreck your car in the process I'll feel bad for the car, but not really for you. I just hope that if you did wreck, it wouldn't involve anyone else as nobody deserves to have some moron ruin their day (or their life, as the case may be sometimes).
I agree, even if you are able to evade them initially, there's also a chance that they will catch up to you eventually anyways.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

If you look at my earlier post I have the lowest speed of anyone on here. I'm the last person you will find going the reckless speeds of 150MPH or more. I'm just saying that a cop's chances of catching you going 150MPH or faster are extremely low.

Ever watch America's wildest police chase videos? notice how all the cars on there are SUV's, V6 cars, or 4 bangers? How many Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, Vipers, or other high performance cars do you see on there? Probably next to none, and you can't tell me that cops don't chase those cars...I'm betting a lot of those people are fast enough to get away, or fast enough where the cop can't give chase.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Yeaaa, I doubt that's possible.
Hmm, so the 1997 Camaro SS with the LT1 can hit 172MPH without the governor...but a 2002 SS with over 50HP more can't get at least 8MPH more?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, so the 1997 Camaro SS with the LT1 can hit 172MPH without the governor...but a 2002 SS with over 50HP more can't get at least 8MPH more?
Absolutely not. There is no way a stock LT1/LS1 F-Body is going to come close to 180 stock, it simply does not have the power, gearing or weight to do it. Actually, I believe that's about where a stock C5 Z would top out at, probably a little less.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Absolutely not. There is no way a stock LT1/LS1 F-Body is going to come close to 180 stock, it simply does not have the power, gearing or weight to do it. Actually, I believe that's about where a stock C5 Z would top out at, probably a little less.
I think the C5 was rated around 180, I don't doubt an F-body could get around the same speeds with the same power and close to the same aero drag. C5Z only does 170ish because of the lower gear ratios (tops out in 5th, not enough power to pull 6th). I don't see a stock LT1 getting much over 160 though.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gocartone
I think the C5 was rated around 180, I don't doubt an F-body could get around the same speeds with the same power and close to the same aero drag. C5Z only does 170ish because of the lower gear ratios (tops out in 5th, not enough power to pull 6th). I don't see a stock LT1 getting much over 160 though.
Well, I still can't see a stock LS1 F-Body reaching speeds of up to 180 stock. I will have to see that to believe it. It has 290-310rwhp, 6 speeds have a 6th gear that does nothing once you shift into it unless you're making some serious power, and it weighs like 3400-3600 pounds on average. 170 or so is more reasonable, but 180? I don't think so, not stock. That's just me and how I see it though.

LT1's I don't see getting too far over 160 either.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Well, I still can't see a stock LS1 F-Body reaching speeds of up to 180 stock. I will have to see that to believe it. It has 290-310rwhp, 6 speeds have a 6th gear that does nothing once you shift into it unless you're making some serious power, and it weighs like 3400-3600 pounds on average. 170 or so is more reasonable, but 180? I don't think so, not stock. That's just me and how I see it though.

LT1's I don't see getting too far over 160 either.
My car weighs 3,440, full weight, without me in it. If I'm right a manual LS1 F-body should weigh a little bit less.

I know the video of the 1997 Camaro SS hitting 172MPH exists, just give me some time to dig it up. And if the late model LT1 can break 170MPH, then I know the LS1 can get a little bit faster.

Quick Reply: Speedometer past 155