General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

500+hp street cars? Who has them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Help an old man out. What does lolwut mean?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lolwut
Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help an old man out. What does lolwut mean?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Meaning "What?", but usually said to mean comedic indifference to whatever was said. Also, if you don't care what was being said. Useful if you are in a place you shouldn't be.
Then I have no idea what the point of the post was in this context. So, I guess it is to be ignored.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 287 Likes on 216 Posts

Basically meant to where what was said doesnt make sense..as in your pic doesnt make sense..unless that's rwhp.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by the_merv
Basically meant to where what was said doesnt make sense..as in your pic doesnt make sense..unless that's rwhp.
Make sense? Hmmm. I am not sure in what context he would mean that. The formula showed in the bottom of that picture is the formula drag racers have been using to figure horsepower for as long as I can remember. Which is likely long before he was a twinkle in his daddy's eye.

Now, how that compares or relates to any particular engine dyno or chassis dyno I do not know. Properly calibrated engine dynos tend to generate much more consistent results from unit to unit than what I understand these chassis dynos that most people on here use now.

The title of this thread was "500HP street cars? Who has them?". It does not specify exactly how the OP prefers that to be measured to qualify or even if he cares. Perhaps the lolwut guy thinks that all cars must be measured on a dynojet wheel dyno at 400 elevation on a 70 degree day at Bob's dyno shop operated by Bob himself. I guess I can only speculate.

Anyhoo. For those of us that don't do wheel dynos, we often use a tool like that link or just plug the numbers into the formula itself. Matter a fact, I still have an old Moroso slide rule that uses that formula that I bought in 1985. I guess we will hop on our dinosaur and ride it back to the cave.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OJ, were the dyno results in your signature at the same performance level as when you went 130 MPH in the quarter mile? Also, how much does your car weigh?
The dyno was with a 90/90 and 85mm maf. I have since put on a 102/102 but havn't finished tuning it or any track times.
The mph was 130.2 actually with my granny shifting. I don't know what the weight is other then it is a full weight car with 16 sheets of dynomat but we had stripped out the seats, spare tire and front sway bar. One of these days I will scan my dyno sheet. The bottom end torque is pretty impressive.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EODguyJake
Not saying it's difficult to do...with a big enough bankroll anything is possible. Just wondering what I might not be considering as I start to focus in on big numbers. I don't worry about fuel mileage or any petty BS.

My car will always be a "street car" as in I have no plans to do anything specifically designed to help make a quicker pass at the strip. I don't drive mine in the rain either, and it's damn near stock. I guess what I'm asking is, when you put the money and effort into these cars to see those numbers, are you satisfied?
Yeah im satisfied, I can pull away from a 600cc bike so yeah...... Well, more hp like your title states would make it faster at the strip. just a little fyi.... Dont really have much trouble with anything I meet on the street...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO if you are running a N20 car that makes less than 500 hp N/A you are not driving a 500+hp street car..
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Make sense? Hmmm. I am not sure in what context he would mean that. The formula showed in the bottom of that picture is the formula drag racers have been using to figure horsepower for as long as I can remember. Which is likely long before he was a twinkle in his daddy's eye.

Now, how that compares or relates to any particular engine dyno or chassis dyno I do not know. Properly calibrated engine dynos tend to generate much more consistent results from unit to unit than what I understand these chassis dynos that most people on here use now.

The title of this thread was "500HP street cars? Who has them?". It does not specify exactly how the OP prefers that to be measured to qualify or even if he cares. Perhaps the lolwut guy thinks that all cars must be measured on a dynojet wheel dyno at 400 elevation on a 70 degree day at Bob's dyno shop operated by Bob himself. I guess I can only speculate.

Anyhoo. For those of us that don't do wheel dynos, we often use a tool like that link or just plug the numbers into the formula itself. Matter a fact, I still have an old Moroso slide rule that uses that formula that I bought in 1985. I guess we will hop on our dinosaur and ride it back to the cave.

Using a horsepower to weight ratio calculator to find out what a car runs
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by BStowers023
Using a horsepower to weight ratio calculator to find out what a car runs
Who does that? That is like the bench racing all the wheel dyno guys do. We use it to estimate horsepower after we know the times.

By the way, I don't see any track times in your signature.

Last edited by speedtigger; 11-18-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dads got one.

07 C6 Z51

A6, long tube headers, x pipe, mufflers, procharger p1sc intercooled kit, dyno tuned. Made 570 at the wheels on the dyno during tuning and then dialed back a bit to 550 to be conservative.

Car hooks really well, better than my bolt on 02 SS M6.

Daily drives it, and gets high 20mpg with a best of 32mpg on the freeway as it sits now. Before the mods best him or I were able to get was about 23mpg.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Who does that? That is like the bench racing all the wheel dyno guys do. We use it to estimate horsepower after we know the times.

By the way, I don't see any track times in your signature.
Why would I advertise that?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by BStowers023
Why would I advertise that?
Sorry, I did not realize you make your living as a street racing shark. LOLWUT?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

There ya go old man
Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw awhile back that there was a guy who had an LT1 making over 1000 hp. It was a twin turbo and there was a vid on youtube of him driving it on the streets. It seemed pretty streetable...but I don't know all the details on it...
Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

My 416 makes just over 500 to the rear wheels. Traction is a serious problem with the M6. It is not a DD though.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Mine is a mid 400hp DAILY DRIVEN street car... makes well over 500 on spray... NO ac NO airbags NO radio... 6 speed with a monster stage 3 clutch mosier 9 with a detroit... car has about 68k miles on it and I put 30 plus a day on it... ANYTHING can be driven but it's how many "comforts" you're willing to do without
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
IMO if you are running a N20 car that makes less than 500 hp N/A you are not driving a 500+hp street car..
I dont agree with that logic. But to each their own. Its just another way of making power.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

500 rwhp or crank power is a totally different animal. IMOP. I think it should be rated at the wheels and either NA or boosted. No N20 ratings because you don't have the power on demand. Most people don't spray from a dead stop on the street , the bottle is going to go empty, you most likely won't spray it for more then a 1/4 mile. etc. Look I spray my car also but it's not the same. again IMOP.

MPH is the true way to measure HP for street cars. The et's will vary more do to the chassis set up, track prep , tire type etc. ON the street MPH is king period. If I have more power I will reel you in and pass you.

With 500 hp 1st gear is basically useless with out drag radials, gas milage sucks if NA, and you can't wipe the smile off your face.

Quick Reply: 500+hp street cars? Who has them?