General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Very tough decision, i need your guys help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very tough decision, i need your guys help.

Hi guys,
Heres the situation. I own a 2005 e46 m3.. beutiful car, SMG NAV all the options, and its a coupe.. I love the car, but i've finally made my decision that its just not for me.. Im a camaro at heart... and always will be, I've owned 2 of them in the past, and the last one was a 99 SS, and i wish i still had it (was tboned)..

I'm ready to trade, but for what?? I have 2 options.
2002 w/56k miles, red on cream interior,6 speed and completely stock..
sounds and looks awesome..

Option 2.. 4k more, but has lots of mods... all the mods have paperwork on when and how it was done, which is some peace of mind, its a
2002 SS red, Ttops, 35th anniversary stripping and rims.. It looks just devastating.. so clean...

I'm worried that the mods may be too much for me, its dyno'd at 420 HP to the wheel and only has 18K miles showing on the odometer...

Do you guys think its is worth going for the modded one? ? I'm more trying to convince myself since its soooo nice!!!! but i'm worried on reliability on a motor like that...
From what i was able to see, and I'm not tech or genius on the LS1.. it had
LS6 heads, upgraded ECU, SLP exhaust, tripod gauges (not sure if i like them) open intake, they told me it was camm'd tuned and its just an awsome piece of machinerary... can you guys give me your honest opinion on which one you would go with and why ?

I'm going to make my decision tomorrow.. since I need to trade my car in, the maintenance is horrendouse, and i'm up for a lot of it, 60k service, tires, brakes, new couple lines (she leaks.... But they done know that... )

I'm getting good value for my car, its worth more than i owe, thanks for your guys input ...

re read this, and thought i chose my words wrong on saying "reliability on a motor like that" LS1 Blocks are gloriouse,.. but you guys know what i mean.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would get the modded one but im also not the one paying. just cuz they say it dynos at 420 doesnt mean you need to use all of that power all the time. if youre not racing all the time, the reliability shouldnt be a problem. you cant go wrong with either one IMO
Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man, im leaning for the modded one... its really nice that he has the paperwork showing all the work done, and it was all done by SLP dealers.. old man was a chevy man, unfortunately he passed and will'd the car back to the dealer... he knew the owner of the dealer.

they showed me dyno paperwork.. she pushed 432 hp
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont mind me asking, how much are they asking for both of them?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would go with the modded one for sure 18k miles is nothing and for 430 hp the cam cant be to big it should drive fine and be very streetable and be very reliable. it hasnt had MAJOR mods to it obviously and since it was all done by SLP i would say you could trust it.

I would definetly go with the modded one cause it is a SS for one and has less miles probably wasnt abused very much if it was a older driver.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Regular

Default your choice

they both sound good look up the blue book price on them and go from there . you can also ask your insurance company for the n.a.d.a. price. 400hp perfect street car!! 6spd? hope? look under it, over it, all around it, car fax for wrecks. bought mine in 07 crawled under it at car lot it had been wrecked, and fixxed under the radar,but i bought it anyway and never looked back. 18000 miles it still stinks new!!! good luck! let us know which you pick,welcome back, and have a ball!!! the oldman....
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The decision depends on whether you just want the car to drive and have fun driving, in which case you should go for the one with 18k and Mods, or if you'd like to modify the car yourself and make it your own? Then your choice should be the untouched 6 speed with 56k on the clock.

If this were my decision, I would choose the the bone stock car.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
If you dont mind me asking, how much are they asking for both of them?
The stock one after trade in i would pay 9K

Modded i would pay 12K

Both solid deals.. the modded is a steal, im worried about gas, and its going to be my daily driver.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
they both sound good look up the blue book price on them and go from there . you can also ask your insurance company for the n.a.d.a. price. 400hp perfect street car!! 6spd? hope? look under it, over it, all around it, car fax for wrecks. bought mine in 07 crawled under it at car lot it had been wrecked, and fixxed under the radar,but i bought it anyway and never looked back. 18000 miles it still stinks new!!! good luck! let us know which you pick,welcome back, and have a ball!!! the oldman....
Thanks man! really appreciate the advise, life lessons have thought me that you buy what you want, and the M3 was just an infactuation...

And of course M6.. wouldnt dare touch an automatic..
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mumbles
The decision depends on whether you just want the car to drive and have fun driving, in which case you should go for the one with 18k and Mods, or if you'd like to modify the car yourself and make it your own? Then your choice should be the untouched 6 speed with 56k on the clock.

If this were my decision, I would choose the the bone stock car.
Very true,
And thats probably the biggest factor,

Do I want to mod it.?
Or have the mods ready... Since i had one before and didnt get to get her to push pass 350 HP.. I think modding would be out the option for me, as i dont have the finances to mod as I'd like, so it being ready at 432hp.. is damn tempting, really appreciate the comment man!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

yep get the modified one. ditch the M3 ASAP
Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugo_SS
The stock one after trade in i would pay 9K

Modded i would pay 12K

Both solid deals.. the modded is a steal, im worried about gas, and its going to be my daily driver.
I'm completely confused . You have to pay money on top of your trade-in?? A 2005 M3 even in 'fair condition should fetch a lot of money. I just looked up trade-in value on a 60,000 miles example and it shows $20,000. A 'private party' sale around $23,000 in 'fair' condition. Unless your M3 has title issues, you are getting screwed over. Maybe I missed something here.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'm completely confused . You have to pay money on top of your trade-in?? A 2005 M3 even in 'fair condition should fetch a lot of money. I just looked up trade-in value on a 60,000 miles example and it shows $20,000. A 'private party' sale around $23,000 in 'fair' condition. Unless your M3 has title issues, you are getting screwed over. Maybe I missed something here.
They are giving me 22,225.. I still owe 17
Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems about right for a 'SLP' modded car. If it's going to be your DD i'd pull all the paperwork and visually check what you can. Although with that mileage I doubt you'll have any problems. If YOU like the set-up and don't immediately feel like you would change anything...my vote is on the 02.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get the modded one no question
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Go with the modded one out of the two you mentioned. You'd be 'paying' over 14k for a stock SS if you went with the first one. (9k + $5225 difference in trade in) There aren't many stock fbodys worth 14k these days.

Now if you look at the modded one and factor in 18k miles and that it's a 35th LE, I could see it being worth 4k more than the first car you mentioned. Althought it would be around 18k (12k plus $5225) which seems a bit pricey, but not as far out of line as the unmodded car.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I would pass on the modified one, simply because you said it will be your daily driver. Personally, I do not like to own daily drivers with extensive mechanical modification if it's your only car. Just not my thing. When it comes to a DD, I like to jump in and drive and never worry about the reliabililty concerns that can come with modifications.

Having said that, I'm also not the sort of person that could ever live with just one car, but if you're not willing to own multiple cars and still demand more horsepower, then you may have to deal with a heavily modded DD.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by green28
Go with the modded one out of the two you mentioned. You'd be 'paying' over 14k for a stock SS if you went with the first one. (9k + $5225 difference in trade in) There aren't many stock fbodys worth 14k these days.

Now if you look at the modded one and factor in 18k miles and that it's a 35th LE, I could see it being worth 4k more than the first car you mentioned. Althought it would be around 18k (12k plus $5225) which seems a bit pricey, but not as far out of line as the unmodded car.
Yeah, i think after finance for the 12K i would leave around 14,500.. not too good of credit under me, this is for the modded one...

I think im going for the modded one, gonna get off work and head over and finalize..

Def gonna post up some pics and let you guys see what this is all about.

Again, i really appreciate the advice/comments..... Thanks guys.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Go with the modded one, you can at least justify the price for an LE with 18k, an 02 with 60k should not end up up costing you 14k.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for #2. Even if its your daily. One thing to remember is you pay to play.