General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

general advice for a 425-435 rwhp dd

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011 | 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arioch
This is what i would do...and have done, 418rwhp and 390rwtq on stock heads, pretty close, but the heads are going to be a pretty penny to get that last 15-20 hp your looking for, on the up side i would think decent heads on top of these mods would net you more than your 430rwhp
Yes you did get 418RWHP, but you also have to remember he has a A4, and you have an M6. He'll net around 390-400 RWHP Cam only.
Old 12-30-2011 | 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

This is just a random question what about a small turbo on low boost wat would be the pros and cons I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to f/I on these Ls block and how reliable are they
Old 12-30-2011 | 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From personal experience has anybody use the torquer v3 on there vehicles and how is its manners at low rpm
Its decent but with my tune i have to let it warm up about 30 seconds or so and idle down before driving, if i try to drive it right after starting it will TRY to die, but almost never does.

After its warmed up its pretty streetable, keep in mind i have it on a 111LSA so anything higher would be much more docile.
Old 12-30-2011 | 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skvr_Z
This is just a random question what about a small turbo on low boost wat would be the pros and cons I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to f/I on these Ls block and how reliable are they
Not a bad idea if you have the money to set it up properly, 5-6 pounds is where I would stay at for a daily driver, I've seen people run more on the stock internals, but I think something around that amount would be very good for your application. The weakest link would be the pistons and the connecting rods, but the Block itself and the Crank are good for beyond 700rwhp from what I've read.
Old 12-30-2011 | 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're not going to get a proper turbo setup (new, not used) for anywhere near your budget (try $5K+). Then you have to deal with the added complexity, maintenance and weight from the turbo, piping and intercooler.
Your budget friendly setup is going to be good heads and a custom cam.
Dont forget to factor little things in like gaskets, or supporting mods like pushrods and valve springs.
Old 12-30-2011 | 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I have some 5.3 ported heads and v3 cam. Made 469whp through my M6. With a few supporting mods of course.
Old 12-31-2011 | 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

so much stuff out there i cant keep up who makes the torquer v3 cam?? comp?? i've an ls6 that needs past 400hp/torque also thanks.... oldman............
Old 12-31-2011 | 06:50 AM
Captain Double Post

^ its a texas speed cam, and a really good cam imo, op have you talked to some sponsers? they might be able to give you some helpful info, last winter i drove this guys ss, he had a 228 cam,afr heads, good stall,magnaflow catback blah blah blah, honest this car was so nice to drive, had great power , wasnt to loud and i felt it was the perfect dd. then i get in my car that shakes and is loud as all hell lol
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'm beginning to narrow my choices down I just wanna see what you guys think about these 2cam choices , the 228r or the street sweeper ht cam these are the two I'm looking at so far .thx
Old 01-17-2012 | 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I've been doin a lot of reading on f/I ,and im starting to take it more into consideration is anybody on here more experience on going f/I on these ls motors and what are the pro and cons over h/c
Old 01-17-2012 | 06:31 PM
Banned

From personal experience has anybody use the torquer v3 on there vehicles and how is its manners at low rpm
We have done a few with the V3 and with a good tune had no problems with street manners. It makes great high end power but is probably not the best option for you with a stock cube motor. It is slugish at lower rpm (even with your stall) when compared to other options available to you.

As for making you power and staying as close to budget as possible Thompson Motorsports can set you up with a Heads/cam pkg with TMS CNC ported heads, billet cam, ARP head bolts, MLS gaskets, PAC 1218 springs, and Chromoly pushrods for $1999. You will be a little over budget after tune but this will get you close.
Old 01-17-2012 | 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have some 5.3 ported heads and v3 cam. Made 469whp through my M6. With a few supporting mods of course.
damn fine numbers, i may go that route now