General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why does everyone hate convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
This is an extremely ignorant statement. SFC's cost 350 at MOST. Once they're on the car it has the same rigididty as a coupe.
When you try to do serious mods, and drag racing, you spend more making the car ridged because it doesn't have a roof. You also spend more on a roll cage.

And to the original post, I never said that I don't like Verts. I wouldn't mind one as a weekend cruiser. I've got my coupe, and wouldn't mind one as a full bolt on car. I also had a '88 Jaguar V12 that was a convertible. Loved to go cruising in that car, hated getting 8 mpg.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We really liked our '98 Z28 ragtop. We thought it was a sharp looking car.

It was my wife's but I drove it a good bit too. Personally I prefer hardtops because my main focus is performance. However, it was nice to just cruise in the 'vert.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally hate the bad visibility that comes with a convertible. Plus I don't think convertibles are as good when its based off a hard top car (fbodys) rather than built as a convertible (miata, s2000, boxster)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like my vert! Did all the bolt-ons so it is a respectable cruizer
I have an all buisness race car to 'go fast'.
Attached Thumbnails Why does everyone hate convertibles?-2002-z28-007.jpg-small.jpg   Why does everyone hate convertibles?-mudbugsmall.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
When you try to do serious mods, and drag racing, you spend more making the car ridged because it doesn't have a roof. You also spend more on a roll cage.

And to the original post, I never said that I don't like Verts. I wouldn't mind one as a weekend cruiser. I've got my coupe, and wouldn't mind one as a full bolt on car. I also had a '88 Jaguar V12 that was a convertible. Loved to go cruising in that car, hated getting 8 mpg.
But there are no specific vert parts for making it rigid. You use all the same pieces, some may be more expensive, by only a hundred or so, if at all, but that doesn't really amount to much in the long run.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

I am not a fan of verts simply because of several reasons
1. They only look good to me with the top down
2. Thieves around here love how easy it is to slash the top and steal whats inside without making a sound
3. General wear and tear that occurs including the need to replace the top every so many years from sun damage.
4. The cost of replacing the top when it goes south
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never been in a F-Body vert, but I know a lot of people with verts. My sister has a miata, my friend has a S2K, and my other friend has had numerous FC verts. I like them. It's fun to have the top down early morning or dusk. Plus the Rx7 vert we ran away from an Audi in ha ha.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the last vert I will ever own.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28

Not sure where you are getting your figures but Wolfe racecraft lists the 6 point cages the same for verts and t top/hardtop cars. And for being rigid again SFCs are a bit more expensive but every other suspension mod you would be doing anyways
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Jealousy?

I think the arguments about the car not being a suitable foundation for modifying/high performance are irrelevant. If going fast, cheap is your primary objective then don't get a 'vert-they're more expensive from the beginning just to buy, weigh more, will cost more to make faster because of the weight, reinforce the chassis, etc.

Dedicated vert drivers are a different breed; they want the looks, performance and heritage of the car but they want the option of going topless and aren't trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their car; they just want to cruise in power and style.

Oh, and unless you're a complete ***-hat you will get laid in that car...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^this
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly... I built my last car for the strip and never even went. I will be with this one but not very often. It is so much nicer in every single way than my t top car in my opinion. And it does make backseat fun a whole lot easier Here is mine, I do think there are a lot of bad examples out there. But like I said there are those of us that rarely see the track and just cruise

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had 2 convertible cars (not f-bodies). Speaking for the midwest only there are about 10 perfect days a year for top down driving. Otherwise it's too hot in the sun or the wind is a bit too chilly. However, those perfect days you just glance up at the beautifully blue sky and it's bliss. I almost always extremely prefer the looks of a hardtop car, i.e. - 350z coupe = good looking, 350z vert = ) but for f-bodies the looks really aren't that much worse. But when you've got the t-tops, in my opinion, it makes the convertibles pretty much unnecessary.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

i think the verts look bad *** with the top up instead of down. Even though that defeats the whole purpose of a vert lol
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
I think everyone is naive about them, I agree they can have issues with the tops but they can never really break, even if the pump goes out you can manually raise the top
Most dont want a vert because
1. They wanna track the car, more restrictions on a vert.
2. They weigh more.
3. That soft top is gonna fade, crack, & need replacing some time in the cars life if you own it long enough. T-tops are much more durable & rarely leak. A T-top may never need replacing.
4. They flex more, you can spend all the money you want but it will never be as sturdy as a hard top or T-top car.
5. They dont look as good, especially the TAs with that fat spoiler instead of the WS6 one.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't like verts cause of the extra weight and looks. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,200 Posts

I see wtb ads all the time for f bodys and in almost all of them everyone says no verts. I don't get why, I came from a t top car and its better in everyway.
Maybe it's better to you, but that's just your opinion, not a fact. To me, everything about the t-top car is better.

No leaky tops, no sail panel bubbling, it rides better and I get way more compliments on it.
Convertible tops can leak as well. Not to mention, that top won't last forever, plus the hydraulics can have issues at it ages, and the glass sometimes comes loose.

Sail panel bubbling is only an issue on the last couple months of '98 production, and the '99+ cars. '93 through almost all of '98 don't have that problem. And anyway, once you replace the panel it's done, but a convertible top will never last as long as the rest of the car if it's used as a regular driver.

Convertible cars certainly don't ride any better than a t-top or hard top car (not sure what ever gave you that idea?).

As for compliments, unless you have two of the exact same cars with the exact same options that are in the same condition, have the same modifications, sound the same, and are driven the same amount of time in the same areas, with the only difference being one is a t-top/hard top and one is a 'vert, there is no real way to prove that statement.

It's 100 pounds heavier than a t top but honestly all of us don't race every weekend so why not just buy the car to enjoy it?
Because not all of us enjoy the look of the 'vert F-bodies, so why would we want to add 100lbs, spend more to buy it, and then be less happy with the appearance, plus add more long term maintanence?

I have nothing against convertibles, I just really don't think it looks good on a 4th gen F-body. Lots of other convertibles look just as nice as their non-'vert counterparts, but not these cars. The body style just looks better as a fastback/hatchback than it does with the more formal roof line that you get with the 'vert top.

It's all just a matter of opinion. That's why they made 3 styles of roof.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand opinion on the 3 roofs I'm not trying to sway any. I'm just tired of hearing how they are so unsafe and nothing but problems etc. It ranks up there to me with people who believe in heatsoak on metal intakes and that a FAST 102 will hurt a stock cube LS1. Obviously verts are at a disadvantage because of the weight but everyone makes it out to be a huge difference over a t top or hardtop when it really isnt. Like i said, you want to go fast at the track, buy a hardtop camaro or formula with no options
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing that ever pissed me off about any of these cars is when people take the T tops off or put the top down AND roll up the windows...god damn! Do you guys realize how gay that looks!!!

Anyways I get a lot of respect in my car and only hate from people who never owned a Camaro in general. I like when someone tell's me about my car like they know more about it then I do i.e weight disadvantages from a hard top or T top car like the 100lb difference makes it a waste of money lol.
Honestly I never wanted this car, I have always wanted an 03-04 Cobra but for the price I paid I couldnt pass it up and hell I fell in love with it and its almost as fast.

I do agree that these cars look plain without a roll bar but women ****** love it no matter what so unless your trying to pick up on some dudes enjoy your convertible.

I also agree about the top replacement cost, my new top was $500 but it held up fine for 10 years in the sun so I figure if this one lasts 10 more years being garaged and treated that would be fine with me.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Maybe it's better to you, but that's just your opinion, not a fact. To me, everything about the t-top car is better.
It's all just a matter of opinion. That's why they made 3 styles of roof.
^^this. I personally don't like the feeling of a convertible with the top down, it's too...open. haha. I like to have some support over my head. I think convertibles with cages look badass with the top down, but for what I want, T-Tops give me the best of both worlds and I wouldn't trade them for anything.... plus the girlfriend loves the sound of rain on all that glass

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate convertibles?