General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why does everyone hate convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does everyone hate convertibles?

I see wtb ads all the time for f bodys and in almost all of them everyone says no verts. I don't get why, I came from a t top car and its better in everyway. No leaky tops, no sail panel bubbling, it rides better and I get way more compliments on it. It's 100 pounds heavier than a t top but honestly all of us don't race every weekend so why not just buy the car to enjoy it?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer convertable fbodies over hard tops. Just sucks if you plan on taking it to the track.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

There have been some fast ones, but I agree. If you are going to build a track car find a no option camaro
Old 01-11-2012, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen a convertible fbody thats looks good to me. There are very few convertibles in general that look good with the top both up and down its usually one or the other.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Verts are cruising cars. Sure you can mod-em up, but it's like a buying a decaf coffee. Why bother. You'll spend more money on suspension mods then you can imagine.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see how it would be anymore than a normal fbody. The only more expensive part is subframe connectors, everything else is the same cost...

And I agree they are cruising cars but don't forget for a long time Ronnie Dukes vert was the FI record holder in the 1/4.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

well mines a convertible and ya for a fast modded f body i suggest a hardtop due to track and nhra restrictions its a second slower for the rules as in cage and so on but since my car has been paid off and there i used for this turbo build
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have owned 2 conv, i agree i hate them, they look better with the top up then down , the only conv wich i liked with the top down was my 92z28, but still thought it looked better with top up lol, they can leak just as much as t tops, top can fade, so in my eyes it has all the issues a t top car has

then if the top breaks,or tears its not cheap to get it fixed
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Everyone hates convertibles??? Nothing but constant compliments and from young folks to old farts, especially the T/A!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think everyone is naive about them, I agree they can have issues with the tops but they can never really break, even if the pump goes out you can manually raise the top
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

I've never liked convertibles. I don't understand the appeal. The t-tops rarely ever come out of my car. Open air cars to me = noise, and blazing sun on my head. Rag tops when there up, all I can here is wind noise.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

I love them. I wish I had one, but I hate the WS6 spoiler on the vert, so it was out for me. Next car....C6 vert.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not everyone hates convertibles, thievs love them.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the tops tear/fade, if the car tips over your a goner for sure, stuff can fall through the top, etc

i prefer a hardtop mainly cuz i dont like the look and the downsides to verts.

however i have seen corvettes that were verts that had a folding hardtop instead of that canopy crap so it looked like a normal vette.

now that i would buy
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what a cage is for the tops aren't fragile, I've never felt the vinyl but the canvas tops are very durable
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on the car, some convertibles look good but convertible 4th gen fbodies look horrible. It makes the Camaros look even less aggressive than normal and the trans ams get the Pontiac Sunfire decklid. The worst are brown tops.

They make noise, they weigh more, need a roll bar to run at the track, etc.

I was curious about a Trans Am convertible for the fun summer factor until I realized they all came with the **** spoiler and no way to fix it. Much rather have t tops and get most of the benefits with none of the downsides.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Most people have these preconceptions that convertibles have massive wind noise with the top up.

Mine doesn't leak, has no issues, and I love it. As a 2nd car, I don't see how you could NOT get one unless you are a hardcore racer (which everyone seems to think they are...). It makes the driving experience so much better and more enjoyable. It also attracts more attention...which let's face it, is part of why you buy these cars, aside from the speed.

Looks, however, are the debatable part based on personal preference. Yes, convertible don't look as mean as t-top/hardtop cars, but they can still look good when done right.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The only F-Body convertibles that I ever liked were the 1st gen Firebirds:

Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Verts are cruising cars. Sure you can mod-em up, but it's like a buying a decaf coffee. Why bother. You'll spend more money on suspension mods then you can imagine.
This is an extremely ignorant statement. SFC's cost 350 at MOST. Once they're on the car it has the same rigididty as a coupe.
Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
I think everyone is naive about them, I agree they can have issues with the tops but they can never really break, even if the pump goes out you can manually raise the top
I pulled my pump out. Top goes up and down in 2 seconds by hand. Gonna take out the hydraulic rams when I replace the top. My raise/lower now functions as a push start.
Originally Posted by Nick V.
the tops tear/fade, if the car tips over your a goner for sure, stuff can fall through the top, etc
There was a thread a while back, deleted now, of a vert rollover. It wasn't even dented and I believe the driver only sustained minor injuries. I was very surprised.

There is so much misinformation about verts out there that people just get on the band wagon. 100 pounds doesn't make a noticeable difference in a stockish car, which is what most people complaining about have. Yank out a little weight elsewhere and you're on par, and that's with a intact top system.
How they look is all in the air, but I love the way they look top down, and mine is always dropped when I'm driving. Top up is iffy depending on the angle.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
Most people have these preconceptions that convertibles have massive wind noise with the top up.

Mine doesn't leak, has no issues, and I love it. As a 2nd car, I don't see how you could NOT get one unless you are a hardcore racer (which everyone seems to think they are...). It makes the driving experience so much better and more enjoyable. It also attracts more attention...which let's face it, is part of why you buy these cars, aside from the speed.

Looks, however, are the debatable part based on personal preference. Yes, convertible don't look as mean as t-top/hardtop cars, but they can still look good when done right.
You found a car experience you like. That's good for you.

However, my "preconception" is a qualified personal experience. The wind noise was noticeable, and annoying in every convertible I've been in. I have absolutely no use for putting the top down, as I don't like having the wind in my face or the baking sun on my scalp.

I see how you COULD NOT want one regardless of how you drive. It's a personal preference that is true, and I hate...not dislike...hate convertibles. There's no escaping their discomfort to me. When the top is up it's noisy, when it's down your exposed to the elements. No thanks.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone hate convertibles?