General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking for a good rear facing child safety seat in f-body... seriously...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for a good rear facing child safety seat in f-body... seriously...

Ok, I realize a 2001 WS6 doesn't count as a family car in most circles, but its more so than the 92 vette I sold to get it. So my question is what are some good rear facing child safety seats to use in an f-body to allow a reasonable amount of leg room for the front passenger?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck... I couldn't find one for my grandson in my '93 Camaro.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd have to say any rear facing seat would be fine.

I am curious, however, to hear responses from others on this matter. This is due to the fact that my wife and I brought home our first born on Thursday. He was born January 31st, 2012 at 4:25 pm cst. Can't wait to take him to his first Car Show in one of the Firebirds.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

We test drove it with our Costco Scenera and my wife was able to squeeze in the front but it wasn't ideal. Our Evenflo Triumph is smaller but we havent tried it yet. I was just wondering what worked for other people.

Mumbles, Congrats! Now try and get some sleep.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Luckily, my car wasent on the road in time to try the rear facing car seat. My daughter graduated to a forward facing seat. I'm hoping to have it on the road this year but debating on removing the back seats. I want to be able to take her to shows and races in it, but really don't want to keep the back seats. I'm thinking a 4 door dirtymax is in my future.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reoch999
Mumbles, Congrats! Now try and get some sleep.
Thanks reoch999! I've been doing really well on sleep since coming home from the Hospital last Thursday. The day after my wife delivered, Wednesday, part of our instructions from the Doctors & Nurses at the U of I was to get rest. Which is awesome, but then they make it impossible to do by checking on Momma & Baby every 1/2 hour. I know they're just doing their jobs, but getting rest in the Hospital is a bit of an oxymoron. Now that we're home, I think all three of us are doing very well for sleep. Especially considering this is our first and we have no idea what we're doing.

On the Safety Seat Topic, I do want to mention that our GRACO Rear Facing Seat worked fine when we brought the little guy home in my 97 S10 Blazer, but it doesn't fit very well in the backseat of my wife's 04 PT Cruiser without sliding the Front Seat pretty far forward. I haven't yet test fit it into one of the birds, but if it won't fit PT well, I'm not holding breath for the F-bodies. Thankfully we have a number of seats to choose from. (Gotta love Hand-Me-Downs. ) Hopefully one those will provide an ideal fit.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations Mumbles!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks myk.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Thanks reoch999! I've been doing really well on sleep since coming home from the Hospital last Thursday. The day after my wife delivered, Wednesday, part of our instructions from the Doctors & Nurses at the U of I was to get rest. Which is awesome, but then they make it impossible to do by checking on Momma & Baby every 1/2 hour. I know they're just doing their jobs, but getting rest in the Hospital is a bit of an oxymoron. Now that we're home, I think all three of us are doing very well for sleep. Especially considering this is our first and we have no idea what we're doing.

On the Safety Seat Topic, I do want to mention that our GRACO Rear Facing Seat worked fine when we brought the little guy home in my 97 S10 Blazer, but it doesn't fit very well in the backseat of my wife's 04 PT Cruiser without sliding the Front Seat pretty far forward. I haven't yet test fit it into one of the birds, but if it won't fit PT well, I'm not holding breath for the F-bodies. Thankfully we have a number of seats to choose from. (Gotta love Hand-Me-Downs. ) Hopefully one those will provide an ideal fit.
Congrats! It gets better, the second one is alot easier because you've been through it (got a 3 1/2 yr old son and a 8 month old little girl).

The rear facing is doable but without someone in the passenger seat. Rear facing takes the passenger front seat being pushed all the way forward and the seat folded almost to the dash. With my son behind me, I've got the seat all the way up. I've only had both of them in it once when I had my truck apart working on it. My son rides with me alot, but he's forward facing.

BTW, the rear facing is a pain even in my extended cab Silverado, she has to sit in the middle so the seat will fit in between the front buckets. If I drove my truck everyday I'd be in the market for a crew cab. It's crazy how things change....I can remember growing up going on vacation for an entire week. We had 5 people in my parents brand new 1985 Z28, luggage and all. My wife can fill our 7 passenger suv with luggage for 3 days. Maybe cars were alot bigger then and we didn't know it??

Don't you know the backseat in an f-body is for looks??
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

No info on seat but congrats on the addition.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought both of my kids home in an fbody.. lol i used Grayco i think been a while, my youngest is 5 now.. my experience is that car seats in general fit better in the 3rd gen cars though, my daughters booster is a bitch to get to sit right in this car
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Teching In

So over kids at this point. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

^^ someone a little cranky? lol
Old 02-09-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats OP

Quick Reply: Looking for a good rear facing child safety seat in f-body... seriously...