General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need input on long term plans for my SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on long term plans for my SS

I currently have a 99 SS, it's a black hardtop. It was a one owner car, and has 114k on it, runs perfect. Originally I decided that over time I wanted to build a heads/cam street car out of it. It isn't daily driven, but would be used mostly for the street, maybe occasionally at the track.

So I've been adding up the cost of a heads/cam package, along with a new rear, FAST, etc. setup that would get me the 450rwhp or so street car that I'm going for. I'd rather not buy used for most of the components because I want a clean slate. It could change of course, but I'm coming up with around 10k needed to be put into the car to reliably achieve this goal The car is worth probably $7-8k unless I got the right buyer.

No here is the part that you might hate...lol. I've been following the market for Terminator Cobras. While it wouldn't be as fully built (I'm mainly talking about the IRS), I could pick one up for around the same value (what the car is worth plus build cost) of one with way less miles than my car. I could pick one up with 50-60k or so on it for around 18k I'd say. So in the end I'd have a car that is worth more, and attains the same power level or higher, for about the same cost. I don't have the experience to know, but it seems to me that while the Cobras put out big numbers, a well put together h/c ls1 ends up being faster than a basic pullied Cobra, though it doesn't have as much torque. Please chime in if you have experience with this.

I used to have a 2000 GT, and it was ok. I prefer the seating and shfiter position in the fbody by a longshot. While I think the Cobras look way better than most mustangs, but I see new edge mustangs left and right, while I hardly evey see nice f-bodys in the area.

Right now I am leaning toward building the SS, but this option is in the back of my mind as far as value goes, and the Cobras really do seem to be well built. Also, I can hit a higher power level without worrying about driveabilty, and for a street car, the extra torque is nice.

Anyways, I'm not interested in started a deabte about what car is better, I'm just looking for input on what you guys would suggest in my personal situation. Obviously biases on appearance and such are gonna be there, but any thoughts or experiences that are helpful would be cool. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

If you only want 405 rwhp, why wouldn't you just put in a nice cam and save a ton of money....
Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998T/A
If you only want 405 rwhp, why wouldn't you just put in a nice cam and save a ton of money....
He wrote 450 RWHP...

Its really up to you dude.

In the long run, the Cobra is going to be more valuable. Its amazing what happends when Ford actually built a FAST mustang, lol, it has some resale value.

Not everyone wants a second hand modded f-body with over 100k miles on it. I know when I was looking at buying one, I didnt want a modded one. All I could find when I was looking was colors I didnt want, too many miles, or it had mods.

I see your position though, your wanting to mod a car already knowing what it will/wont be worth down the road...it sucks.

I have looked at Cobra's too (after I bought my car) but I didnt want a car payment (didnt have enough cash for one) while I was buying my first house. Now I have a house, my SS, and my '04 Silverado truck payment lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
He wrote 450 RWHP...

p
My mistake.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised I haven't seen your car around, I go to school in the Annapolis area.

But anyways, yeah, I personally would just keep what you have and mod that. Really, the way I see it, you're jumping into something with no more real potential than what you have now, 450rwhp isn't too hard to achieve with either car.

If you just want something different and newer with less miles, work towards getting a Cobra. If you want something that can really be made equally as quick and still have some money left, keep the Camaro.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive a cobra first, you may not like it.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

how much are cobras selling for now? consider that then make your decision.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input so far. The other factor is that I would find the experience of building the car up rewarding, considering I've never done it before. Basically, I'm confident my car was well maintained.. bone stock, no accidents, one owner etc as much as I can know, so I do have faith in the motor being good for the build.

I really like the Camaro, but its tough knowing that after all that it mod it still isn't worth much. Its that long term value that makes the Cobras tempting.

I should drive one to get a feel as mentioned. I liked my 2000 GT, but the Cobras are a whole different animal. I feel way more "tied" to my Camaro than that Mustang though, the seating position is a positive point for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ULTIMATEORANGESS- You're going to generally be paying north of $17-18k for one that's not completely ragged out.

But I agree, you should definitely find one locally and take it for a test drive, they do feel a little different than our cars.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I'm surprised I haven't seen your car around, I go to school in the Annapolis area.

But anyways, yeah, I personally would just keep what you have and mod that. Really, the way I see it, you're jumping into something with no more real potential than what you have now, 450rwhp isn't too hard to achieve with either car.

If you just want something different and newer with less miles, work towards getting a Cobra. If you want something that can really be made equally as quick and still have some money left, keep the Camaro.

Yeah man, I live right in West Annapolis off Rowe Blvd. I don't drive it much, especially this time of year, though. I hardly ever see 4th gen SS's in the area, and I kinda like it that way. There is a Vette on every corner around Annapolis in the summer.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
how much are cobras selling for now? consider that then make your decision.
The range seems to be $15-24k, going from around 100k miles to less than 20k miles. Ones with around 50k on them seem to be going around $18k from what I've seen as well. Bone stock ones are selling higher, though.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM

I've owned both, cobra is a better built tighter car with less rattles over the long haul, but much more expensive to mod later if you get serious, the IRS is better than the factor F-body rear for breakage but a little hard to launch with out some mods as well the power band is completely different, especially in the higher hp cars when comparing for later on down the road. F-bodies are faster at the track generally (Race cars) and on the streets the cobras usually come out on top light to light from what I've seen in the Houston Area.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I look at it like this.
I would take both cars and consider a disaster down the road. What if a valve spring breaks in either car and breaks a piston and destroys a cylinder head. From my experience and what I've heard those DOHC Cobra motors are VERY, VERY expensive. Yes, any engine would be expensive, but I think the LS1 would be far cheaper. I imagine there's just a lot more on the road than the Cobras and makes getting parts easier.
You sir have a difficult decision, but my vote would be stick with what you know is good and has been taken care of and not get something else that you really have no history on.
Good luck either way.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honest if you really want a 03 cobra sell your car,you could put 10 grand in your ss and when you go to sell it you will be luckey to get around 7500 ,8 grand for it, a clean 03 cobra is going to cost you alot more money,but you wont take much of a loss on that at all, its up to your budget ,do you have 14 to 19 grand for a 03 cobra, or just mod your ss a bit and enjoy it

i have been looking at cobras for awhile , just havent found the right one, but it kills me to spend that much on a cobra when thats pretty much c5z money
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

The good news is that the decision is just like the title says..long term. I'm under no pressure to sell or jump on any deal. I can always enjoy my SS, or go a different direction.

The comment on c5z money is also a good point. I've though about that as well. As in if I'm gonna go a different route, c5z would be an awesome platform. It'd be the most expensive to mod, though. Going to another blower is expensive for the Cobra, but up until that point its seems relatively cheap. So many things to consider...
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i say stick with the camaro because its mustang central around here. i could toss a rock and hit 3 foxbodys in the summer time. i know they're alot different then the 03 cobra's but im a chevy guy so im alil biased. i like having one of very few ss 4th gens around here.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Go with the car you like. You will be driving and living with it, no one else. If you weren't a fan of the 00 GT, you probably wouldn't be a fan of a modded Cobra. Same basic car, just more power. If you're worried about resale buy a Z06 or a classic muscle car and leave it the way you bought it. Just realize no matter what you start with, if you want to mod it, that's money you can wipe your *** with when it comes to resale. Do what makes YOU happy. That's all that matters. Long term, no matter what you mod, it's a money losing proposition.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
i say stick with the camaro because its mustang central around here. i could toss a rock and hit 3 foxbodys in the summer time. i know they're alot different then the 03 cobra's but im a chevy guy so im alil biased. i like having one of very few ss 4th gens around here.
Yeah, while I almost never see Terminators, I do see new edge stangs everywhere. I hardly ever see 4th gens around here, even z28s. C6 vettes are on every corner as well. I like them, but not like I used to.

Originally Posted by 98 Silver SS
Go with the car you like. You will be driving and living with it, no one else. If you weren't a fan of the 00 GT, you probably wouldn't be a fan of a modded Cobra. Same basic car, just more power. If you're worried about resale buy a Z06 or a classic muscle car and leave it the way you bought it. Just realize no matter what you start with, if you want to mod it, that's money you can wipe your *** with when it comes to resale. Do what makes YOU happy. That's all that matters. Long term, no matter what you mod, it's a money losing proposition.
Thanks for the input. I liked the GT, actually..except that shifter. I have no clue what they were thinking setting up the seating position and the shifter like that.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StreetLethal
Thanks for the input. I liked the GT, actually..except that shifter. I have no clue what they were thinking setting up the seating position and the shifter like that.
yea in the end, YOU have to pick. for the pic its looks like a beautiful car, definitely a keeper imo. if u want supercharged...put a procharger on and have fun. i agree with the shifter thing too, i drove a buddy's 02 GT wasnt very impressed honestly. he had a tune, gears, cai, full exhaust and it still feels like my bone stock SS pulls harder.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

As much as I like the terminator mustangs, I'd NEVER spend that kind of money on a 10 year car. Now if it's a low mileage Z06, maybe I'd think about it. It's crazy how much those mustangs are selling for. Keep your SS.