General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Installed 222/226 cam and ls6 intake ls6 did nothing for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean87SS
My car bolt ons made just under what your making...something is wrong.

Bull ****. That's why I told him to take it to the track and not race dynos.

My car makes what "bolt on cars make" and I raced one of the bolt on cars that supposedly dynos the same as me and put 10+ car lengths on him...

Dyno racing is for internet kiddies.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have basically the same cam custom specd to pass smog in CA. when i dynod cam only, with a lid and catback i made 365 rwhp and 345 lb ft. After the headers and catted y, i dynoed 391/365 SAE corrected. I think its your tuner, but then again you are an automatic, and i'm a manual trans. M6's make more power for sure.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Racing dynos again
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by wantagofast
I.m thinking the TCI stall might be more efficient than the Yank here as well anyway I obviously have to investigate further Thanks for the feedback guys
I'm sure it's the other way around.

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Highly doubtful it the stall. Yanks are known for their efficiency
Agreed. I'd put my money on the Yank over the TCI in terms of efficiency any day.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Bull ****. That's why I told him to take it to the track and not race dynos.

My car makes what "bolt on cars make" and I raced one of the bolt on cars that supposedly dynos the same as me and put 10+ car lengths on him...

Dyno racing is for internet kiddies.
I wish this guy that is saying something is wrong would be here I would show him my tailights Like I said I am extremely happy with the gains this car is an animal I pulled my buddy so hard he thought his car was not working right and he shows 322 on the dyno! He tried my car and he said he couldn't beleive the diffrence I can't wait to try this baby at the track!!!

Originally Posted by jthunderz28
I have basically the same cam custom specd to pass smog in CA. when i dynod cam only, with a lid and catback i made 365 rwhp and 345 lb ft. After the headers and catted y, i dynoed 391/365 SAE corrected. I think its your tuner, but then again you are an automatic, and i'm a manual trans. M6's make more power for sure.
See I'm at 358.9rwhp and that is with no heads and automatic you take off 20% vs 6 speed 13-15 % I was told that those are the #'s so I would say I am pretty close to what it makes it did make 361 at 1 point but we brought down the shift point at 61 -6200 instead of 6400 at 6400 I was told nthe ls1 doesn't like anything over 6400rpm

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm sure it's the other way around.

Agreed. I'd put my money on the Yank over the TCI in terms of efficiency any day.
I love my Yank don't get me wrong I'm just tossing idea;s around I wouldn't trade my Yank for a TCI either regardless :-)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

See I'm at 358.9rwhp and that is with no heads and automatic you take off 20% vs 6 speed 13-15 % I was told that those are the #'s so I would say I am pretty close to what it makes it did make 361 at 1 point but we brought down the shift point at 61 -6200 instead of 6400 at 6400 I was told nthe ls1 doesn't like anything over 6400rpm
IMO autos usually dyno low compared to a manual. Seen MS4 cars put down under 380 whp so what does that tell ya? Dont tell us an ls6 intake makes no difference cuz its been proven over & over it does.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm sure it's the other way around. I'd put my money on the Yank over the TCI in terms of efficiency any day.
Jimmyblue has done the efficiency calcs on the TCI 3000 and shown it to be a highly efficient converter - very much on a par with Yank. Nevertheless, the issue at hand has nothing to do with the converters.

The basic problem comes from comparing your car to another. The original post led me to believe that you dynoed both intakes on your car and saw no gains. That would be an unusual result. But the fact that your car dynoes the same as an equivalently modded car with an LS1 intake is null. You can't compare one car's dyno results to another's - except for bench racing purposes.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Jimmyblue has done the efficiency calcs on the TCI 3000 and shown it to be a highly efficient converter - very much on a par with Yank.
This is interesting, and I'm sure it must be accurate info as Jimmyblue is always extremely thorough and detailed. Were any other converters compared for efficiency as part of this evaluation? I'm curious to see where the rankings would stand for a given case size/stall speed from the major players.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that settles that, it sounds like you figured out you are where you should be, lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Not all converters are created equal, even from the same manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Yank's huge SS line gives up some on WOT efficiency for its hard hitting nature off the line and ease of driving around town. On the other hand a different spec'd converter can be loose at part throttle, hit softer at the line and pull like a MF on the back end. Its all in the design of the converter. They can tailor them to suit your needs/driving style. I think Jimmy's converter he spec'd for efficiency in mind and I'm pretty the one he runs is a Fuddle. I have heard him talk about it many times.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Racing dynos again
no **** lol.......welcome to LS1Tech bro!!!

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
IMO autos usually dyno low compared to a manual. Seen MS4 cars put down under 380 whp so what does that tell ya? Dont tell us an ls6 intake makes no difference cuz its been proven over & over it does.
very true.........however if you get a dyno operator that knows his equipment and will take the time to set it up correctly it will read accuratly......now the odds of that happening.......virtually 0

again dont race dyno's........i agree the OP's number is a bit low.....whether its a tune issue or just possibly a camshaft that is overrated by the LS1tech crowd......regardless dont race dynos......there are far too many variables to be able to compare one to the next.....not only do variables exisit in the car (tire pressure/wheel size/wheel weight/sidewall stifness/gear ratio/parasitic loss via rear end/dshaft/coverter weight/efficency/oil temps/trans temps/gear oil temps) but there are variables in the accuracy of the calibration of the weather systems on the dynos to accuratlely correct the number to a 0 DA sea level number......again FAR too many variables........explain this one to me......my LT1 car rolled 430rwhp last time i had it on a dyno for TUNING purposes only......everybody laughed at me cause it was so loud and radical and made such a low number.......yet we were all at the track the following day and i stomp conistant 9.9x-10.0x @ 133-135 all day with car at 3300lbs and everybody is looking at me like i got 6 heads........430rwhp i think not.........

DONT RACE DYNOS!!!! lol

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

This is interesting, and I'm sure it must be accurate info as Jimmyblue is always extremely thorough and detailed. Were any other converters compared for efficiency as part of this evaluation? I'm curious to see where the rankings would stand for a given case size/stall speed from the major players.
He's posted about it many times. He compared that one - his previous converter - to the Fuddle he runs now.

Coincidentally, I used to run a TCI 3000 against my buddies indentically modded T/A with a SS3200 and gave up nothing to him.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks man

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
no **** lol.......welcome to LS1Tech bro!!!

very true.........however if you get a dyno operator that knows his equipment and will take the time to set it up correctly it will read accuratly......now the odds of that happening.......virtually 0

again dont race dyno's........i agree the OP's number is a bit low.....whether its a tune issue or just possibly a camshaft that is overrated by the LS1tech crowd......regardless dont race dynos......there are far too many variables to be able to compare one to the next.....not only do variables exisit in the car (tire pressure/wheel size/wheel weight/sidewall stifness/gear ratio/parasitic loss via rear end/dshaft/coverter weight/efficency/oil temps/trans temps/gear oil temps) but there are variables in the accuracy of the calibration of the weather systems on the dynos to accuratlely correct the number to a 0 DA sea level number......again FAR too many variables........explain this one to me......my LT1 car rolled 430rwhp last time i had it on a dyno for TUNING purposes only......everybody laughed at me cause it was so loud and radical and made such a low number.......yet we were all at the track the following day and i stomp conistant 9.9x-10.0x @ 133-135 all day with car at 3300lbs and everybody is looking at me like i got 6 heads........430rwhp i think not.........

DONT RACE DYNOS!!!! lol

I love people that make sense loll I was expecting 360rwhp that's where I'm at My tuner is the best in this area People from 4-5 hrs away drive down to see him. Does je know it all probably not but what I can say is I love my car I LOOOOVVVE the power diffrence the Yank converter kicks *** I was just surprised that some people on here tell me that they have the same set up as me and actually 380rwhp when we just did 2 cars same set up and came out pretty close from 355 to 360rwhp

My other buddy did the Lunati cam Voodoo 224/228 113lsa and he dynoed at 353rwhp with ls6 ported heads He will be going back to get it checked out because he jsut added headers so that should bring him to over 360rwhp.

This EPS CAM is kick *** to me we both did higher # than a comparable cam without heads so I am happy I was just really wondering why so much difference between cars and you answered that I have 18's with 295's in the back so that should bring it down a bit plus it was very humid that so bottom line I'm a happy camper I more wondering why the difference plus my buddy satrtde with 303rwhp and I started with 313 and we ended up 5rwhp different sa that tells me we are in the range of what it can do :-)

Thanks for all the feedback !!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Mines had dynoed at 313rwhp before the headers and cam and afterwards dyned 363 still with the ls1 intake, shift points are set at 6400rpms, that's what dual springs and titanium retainers are for, LS1 won't like shifts points too high on stock springs With the LS6 intake you should be at around the 370s, take it to the track and see if it traps 115-116, don't know what your gears are though.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

huh, i hope theres somthing wrong, cause i got the opposite right now. i have a stock 98 LS1, 3200 stall, LS6 intake manifold, LTH, and a frost tune and managed 301RWHP on a dyno with 6000 being my rpm limit for now.... i too was disappointed with my dyno numbers, but the car FEELS totally different. in a good way

i hope with a moderatly sized 224r cam im looking into should get me at least 340RWHP with a slightbetter actual dyno tune.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A dyno is just a tuning tool. I'd rather have a great tune on a dyno that reads low, then OK tune on a dyno that high.
Yeah at one time or another we all get caught up in the numbers, when it's the quality of the tune is what really matters!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

i know, and realistically, a stalled auto is always going to dyno lower then a M6. the track is where it will really make a differentce. a good bolt on car alone should be around 300-330ish with a stall at the wheels on a dyno. Enginewise is another story.

however that being said, the op had a 226 sized cam that should be 40ish more HP over stock with an LS6 intake... and he has the same number as ME!! i dont have a cam. somthing isdefinitly wrong.

Quick Reply: Installed 222/226 cam and ls6 intake ls6 did nothing for me