General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

rollbar and insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rollbar and insurance ?

#1 i bought a wolfe 6pnt. at a swap meet sunday and was told it's chromoly but according to wolfe website chromoly is .095 but i measured thickness and it's.125 which again according to wolfe website is mild steel it doesn't matter though because shipping is so high. question is: can i mig weld chromoly? i know nhra doesn't allow it. #2 is there another way to tell if it's chromoly? #3 it's made for rear fenderwell weld in i can change it to over the rear shocks with the material i have.#4 what size and thickness of the floor plates do i need? #5 i read on here that insurance companies will drop you and not pay out if you have a roll cage . does anyone know who they are ? i dont want to call my insurance company to arouse suspicion. i know it's alot to ask but i'm limited in my abilities in the com puter world a picture i can print off would be fantastic thanks in advance LS nation for helping an oldman out....
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

is there anybody out there? oh a floyd moment. update: i ground off welds and detached the rear supports off the main hoop and the hoop and rear down legs seem to be thinner metal so i think it is chromoly (can't check thickness the battery in my caliper died) where i got my other measure was the swing out door bars. strange? i think it'stwo different thicknesses anybody know my previous questions? seen alot of looks but no answers. 10 year members???? that insurance question is bugging the f**k out of me
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
#1 i bought a wolfe 6pnt. at a swap meet sunday and was told it's chromoly but according to wolfe website chromoly is .095 but i measured thickness and it's.125 which again according to wolfe website is mild steel it doesn't matter though because shipping is so high. question is: can i mig weld chromoly? i know nhra doesn't allow it. #2 is there another way to tell if it's chromoly? #3 it's made for rear fenderwell weld in i can change it to over the rear shocks with the material i have.#4 what size and thickness of the floor plates do i need? #5 i read on here that insurance companies will drop you and not pay out if you have a roll cage . does anyone know who they are ? i dont want to call my insurance company to arouse suspicion. i know it's alot to ask but i'm limited in my abilities in the com puter world a picture i can print off would be fantastic thanks in advance LS nation for helping an oldman out....
I can not answer anything but the insurance question, as i have a s&w cage in my iroc-z, and state farm is my insurance on the car. my agent did not see a problem with it. He said as long as i am not racing the car and crash it and try to claim it, it will not be a problem. As for other companies, you could call another agent pretending to be someone else and ask them general questions that pertain to you current setup so you know for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
#1 i bought a wolfe 6pnt. at a swap meet sunday and was told it's chromoly but according to wolfe website chromoly is .095 but i measured thickness and it's.125 which again according to wolfe website is mild steel it doesn't matter though because shipping is so high. question is: can i mig weld chromoly?
You can mig weld chromemoly but NHRA forbids it however if it is .125 wall its highly unlikely it is moly. I'm certain You will find it is mild steel.
i know nhra doesn't allow it. #2 is there another way to tell if it's chromoly?
Other than the wall thickness not falling in line with the common moly thicknesses, Your local NHRA tech inspector can do a test on it.
#3 it's made for rear fenderwell weld in i can change it to over the rear shocks with the material i have.#4 what size and thickness of the floor plates do i need?
6"x6"x.125 mild steel plate.
#5 i read on here that insurance companies will drop you and not pay out if you have a roll cage . does anyone know who they are ? i dont want to call my insurance company to arouse suspicion. i know it's alot to ask but i'm limited in my abilities in the com puter world a picture i can print off would be fantastic thanks in advance LS nation for helping an oldman out....
Hope this helps.
Carl
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

thank you gentlemen for your help LS nation to the rescue once again!!!thanks, the oldman.....
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

Default Re: rollbar and insurance

In terms of your car insurance coverage, you really need to contact them for you to be 100% sure. You should be aware of your car insurance coverage and liability so that you will not encounter that kind of problem in the future.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Teching In

120 wall may be dom, but must likely hrew. MIG will suffice for this.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

hey bucketobolts, what is hrew?? i'm old.. thanks...........
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Hot Rolled Electric Welded...if you look at the tube and see a seam, it is brew. No seam is dom.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

i can tell you this.went to have a cage installed in my monte.found out in broward county.chassis shops canot install a cage/roll bar in a registerd and inssured car/truck $2,000.00 fine if caught.called a few places.only broward for some reason.dade ok.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

bucketobolts, it,s hrew, i checked it yesterday does that mean it's not chromemoly? is chromoly only d.o.m.? i'm a noob on this but i want to do it right. after the news i say this morning a 4th gen high speed wreck killed all 3 (SAD) all i could tell it was a t/a by it's taillights and part of the roof ,blowed out "T" tops etc. thanks for help in advance. the oldman....
Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Chromoly will be DOM or Drawn Over Mandrel formed, but the biggest difference is the metallurgy. The CRMO has both chromium and molybdenum making the steel stronger, but makes welding more critical. Both HREW and DOM mild steel are less critical in the fitting and welding. I would not hesitate to use mild steel for a bar in a unibody car. The bar will still become the strongest part of the body. A full tube chassis is another story.

Quick Reply: rollbar and insurance ?