General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Soon to be owner couple questions on modified z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soon to be owner couple questions on modified z28

hello all thanks in advance for any help you provide me. I am thinking of buying a used 1998 z28 A4, hard top.

First of all he repainted it a cosmic blue color, freaking rediculous i know but he did. He is letting it go for cheap i think with only 73k on the clock. He has the following for upgrades "A shift kit was put into the trans. automatic transmission. Has a 3.73 rear end. Front lower bmr control arms, bmr k member, bmr lowering springs, kyb adjustable shocks and struts, rear bmr trailing arms and edlebrock adjustable pan hard bar. It has ss wheels and an ss hood. Has custom paint job sonic blue. paint job is less than a month old. The suspension is brand new has only about 300 miles on it. Has dynomax straightpipe exhaust, and longtube headers."

The headliner is a little bunk but it can be fixed no prblem. He said that he replaced all the brakes as well but there is some squeeking from the brakes. I am hoping it is the brakes and not the rear end gears whining. Any other tips on what to look for?

What exactly should i be listenign and feeling for in the trans when its shifting if it has a shift kit? I have never driven one with a shift kit. Also i dont wanna buy it if the trans is on the way out. Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Underhood: leaks, is it haggered under their, clean?

Inside: oil pressure, does it overheat, burnholes, haggered wiring, anything broken.

Driving: listen for whining, humming, vibrations, grinding, transmission sloppiness, howling.

Look underneath to make sure oil/trans fluid is leaking. Maybe look at a few of the upgrades he listed to make sure he's being truthfull. If you want to do in depth pull the valve covers off and check under them for sludge build up or neglect, maybe drain the oil or have a shop do it and check for shavings. I'm sure there's more km missing. You could take it to a shop and and them do a full point check on it.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

seems kinda sketchy that he just put all this money into paint and suspension and is trying to sell it already...id be careful op.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Launching!

yea thats what i was thinking, he said he just got back from military and is trying to sell it to buy something else. He wanted 7500 for it but i got him down to 5000. Ill bring it to this shop down the street from where im meeting him and have them look over it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
seems kinda sketchy that he just put all this money into paint and suspension and is trying to sell it already...id be careful op.
This.

Originally Posted by tjwashow
yea thats what i was thinking, he said he just got back from military and is trying to sell it to buy something else. He wanted 7500 for it but i got him down to 5000. Ill bring it to this shop down the street from where im meeting him and have them look over it.
I would also be aware of this. A 33% price decrease has shady written all over it.

It seems like he knows you're interested, so if he IS hiding something with the car, he just wants to get what he can from you to get the car out of his garage..

Is it at all possible to get that car on a lift?

As for the transmission, as noted above, just make sure it shifts fast and hard, especially at WOT.

The thread below lists the cruising speeds at certain rpm's, which determines what gears are in the car. Gears might still have a slight whine/howl if they weren't properly broken in; I have 3.73's in my auto Z28 and they still have a slight whine to them from the heat cycles of breaking them in.

Hope this helps!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ere-first.html

Last edited by Her Z; 06-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

thats a serious price drop...to be honest op if you get the car i hope you know how to fix things cuz it sounds like hes just trying to get rid of a headache. also you need to test drive it before any thing. if you feel like something seems wrong when you test it out odds are there is.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

also, that noise could be the rear. you should ask him where the gears were done and if they set the correct pinion load and if the backlash is correct.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember that just because the tranny has a shift kit in it doesn't mean your tranny is going to shift when you do. It will shift when your CPU tells it to. If the cars engine has been modified then make sure it shifts at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. A tuner can adjust the tranny and get way more out of it than a shift kit will ever do.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something sounds very fishy. Particularly the cross member. That mod is usually only done by someone who is into expensive weight saving. Anyway you can check to see if that is the original motor. If it is it could have been sprayed. Just seems strange an almost stock motor with a go fast suspension under it.