General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

question about teeing off of the oil sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about teeing off of the oil sending unit

ok guys, the build is getting closer and closer to be ready to have tuned, and i have a quick question. i have an oil temp sensor i'm wanting to hook up to the car, and plan on buying an oil cooler adapter with a 1/8 size thread for a sensor to plug in, but in the mean time, since i'm just trying to get the car running, i'm wondering if i can tee off the oil sending unit for my oil temp. i know it may not be the best place, but its better than no place at all. what i'm wondering is if i t off of it, will it affect the reading of the oil pressure if i do this? i already have the t made, and plan on putting it on the car after work, so any advice/guidance would be pretty sweet.

thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

ive never done it myself but i cant really see a problem with it. worst case scenario the gauge may be a little sluggish
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you put it here? All you got to do is tap it out. Messing with the one behind the intake is just asking for trouble.

question about teeing off of the oil sending unit-oiltap.jpg
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

@ nc98z, i plan on running an oil cooler, and i'm just going to get a plate that is already taped out, this is just temp so i can take it to the tuner next week and finally get this turd back on the road.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

i honestly would tap the pan for it, i like to know what the tep of the oil is before the motor sucks it up again. that way you know your cooler or w/e is doing its job properly