General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help me pick a platform.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
Aren't ls7's thin walled the reason why they can't handle boost?
This, and from what I can remember from another thread is they use a different iron and its prone to cracking when cylinder pressure is raised much over stock. LS7 blocks get billet main caps though.

OP, I would really think about what you want and try and be as realistic as possible.

Big cubes are ok for n/a and nitrous but say you went 454 you wouldn't want to boost that much.

Your talking about twin turbos, in a vette or fbody is going to take more work to get it to fit. Might consider a large single instead.

2-door CTS-V's are only available in the newer models which come with the LSA motor already and are pretty pricey.

If you want a fairly priced boost motor or a big nitrous motor look into a 6.0 iron block or a 5.3 LM7. Although people have sprayed huge shots on aluminum blocks before.

I really think you should do a bit more thinking about what you really want and can afford, pick a chassis and then go from there.

A sleeved motor is not always necessary. If you wanted a nasty all motor 427 you can easily achieve that with a LS7. If you want a turbo/blower motor I would stick with something like a 370 or 408 iron block, you can make more power than you would ever need with something like that. AES makes a 390 iron block that is a great deal if you decide to go that route.

A big cube h/c set-up using good components is going to cost you a lot of money, not to mention your going to need all the associated bolt-ons and suspension, chassis, and fuel mods to go along with it.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just doesn't seem like you really know what your getting into.

Best thing is to get the car first, then set your budget, pick a power goal and go from there. Each car has its pro's and con's which will help you determine your starting point. A good rule of thumb is to plan your build as best and as detailed as possible, total everything, and then double it. That will get you somewhere in the area of what you can expect to spend. If your paying someone to do the work for you then triple it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just grab a 6.0 block, machine it, put in a forged rotating assembly, and slap on a 91mm and have fun. as far as bodies...the vettes are nice and light to start off with, with a z28,ss,ws6 etc...you may have to cut some **** aka put it on a diet.

a forged lq9 with a 91mm around 3500lbs would be no joke, and with a little suspension itd be a monster.

of course youll still need a trans, fuel, tunes, rear end. but if you were thinking of a TT vette you prob arent worried about all that.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest a Regular cab shortbed Chevy/GMC 1500.

Easy to mod, more room under the hood for turbos. Easy to convert to AWD. They're a little heavy but can be put on a diet. They can be absolute monsters when built and a ton of fun to drive.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im talking about building a twin turbo 454 and you guys are like "just single turbo a 5.3" good budget build sure.. But im perfectly comfortable spending money. I work like a dog for mine and im loking to build something a little (okay far and beyond) a single turbo 5.3.... This thread is not about what i should do so far as a powertrain. My minds made up there. Its about where its going to go.

I like the vette because if i buy the right one i get the ls7 included. Then when i start stripping the car down the block can go out for maching , testing , sleeves , orings..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadden
Im talking about building a twin turbo 454 and you guys are like "just single turbo a 5.3" good budget build sure.. But im perfectly comfortable spending money. I work like a dog for mine and im loking to build something a little (okay far and beyond) a single turbo 5.3.... This thread is not about what i should do so far as a powertrain. My minds made up there. Its about where its going to go.

I like the vette because if i buy the right one i get the ls7 included. Then when i start stripping the car down the block can go out for maching , testing , sleeves , orings..
so basically, it doesnt matter what any one suggest? Put it in a vette then?
/thread
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

because bigger isnt always better... a twin turbo 454 will run you atleast 20g's when its all said and done, including fuel system, block, rotating assembly, top end, intake, etc.. the list goes on..

theres alot of people building some of these "big monster builds" and alot of them never get running and are parted out.. theyre just not practical for a first timer into the FI world..

a 5.3 turbo will get your feet wet..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

are you doing the work yourself, whats your budget.. because with what you want, Im gonna take a guess that your car will be on jackstand for about 2 years while you build it yourself...

Maybe a year for a good shop, plus labor$$$$ your talking a shitload of cash.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I agree with multple guys on here. I think you should take a step back and look at the big picture. One your spending 30k on a vette(45k on a c6zo6), bank loan none the less. twenty years old full coverage insurance. second your talking about this outrages build 15k on just the motor,10k on the TT setup,15k in the drive train. but hell maybe you make 150k a year and are well off. But me beinga judgemental man child id say your not by whats in your signature. Do more research on what you want and if you have questions then ask on a forum. My guess is your going to do whatever you wanted before you posted anyway. good luck with your build.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some things i can by myself. My dads a fully certified GM Mechanic , who works in a performance shop now. He has a massive shop i can work out of. Welding and maching and such will be outsourced to friends. What i cant do alone i can get help with. Times not much of a crunch. I am more well off than many kids my age , especially when your comparing me to those south of the border...
I live in Canada , work in the oilfield , and am starting my own company.... No im not a mommy and daddy leech on society. I am a blue collar hard working citizen. I work in excess of 80-100 hours a week. 52 weeks a year. My yearly income is mine to know. But its going nowhere but up..

Fwiw if i sold what i have in the market right now i could buy the vette for cash , but its better for my credit rating to take the payments......

Last edited by Sadden; 07-31-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, i cant wait to see the finished product in a few years.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your better off with a lsx block than a ls7, they cost the same also
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I considered the LSx 454 , but after seeing multiple failures i feel that i would need to spend the same on an lsx block in order to be able to fully trust it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

OP, You are missing some really good advice being offered above. Consider that the fastest piston driven car at Bonneville Salt runs 400 mph with a 300 cubic inch small block Chevrolet, twin turbo, making 2200+ hp. (Duttweiler built, if ya check) You dont need big cubes or even twin turbo to hit your goal. If you do hit 1500 hp, have you ever tried using that power on the street? It's a lot of effort and expense just to be able to say "I got 1500 hp" in a dik swingn contest.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if money is no option.... C5.R block =]
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Some things i can by myself. My dads a fully certified GM Mechanic , who works in a performance shop now. He has a massive shop i can work out of. Welding and maching and such will be outsourced to friends. What i cant do alone i can get help with. Times not much of a crunch. I am more well off than many kids my age , especially when your comparing me to those south of the border...
I live in Canada , work in the oilfield , and am starting my own company.... No im not a mommy and daddy leech on society. I am a blue collar hard working citizen. I work in excess of 80-100 hours a week. 52 weeks a year. My yearly income is mine to know. But its going nowhere but up..

Fwiw if i sold what i have in the market right now i could buy the vette for cash , but its better for my credit rating to take the payments......
If you work 80-100 hrs a week, you'll be lucky to build anything at all..

I'm not trying to discourage you with your build, I've just been around here along time and have searched and read alot and have seen alot of combos...

And what you want to build is quite frankly more of what a proffesional would do, someone who has driven a 700-800 car and upgraded..

read the turbo sticky and see what your getting yourself into..
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

OP, I forgot your original question.....picking a platform. Here's an idea, but it takes some $, which you said was no problem. Go buy a new 2013 Mustang Cobra, pull the Ford motor and install your twin turbo LS7 1500 hp monster. It'd be a really fast Mustang and so fun to watch the Ford guys expression when you lift the hood! Plus, no one at the local car show would have anything like it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

after reading the part about how much you work, i would like to know how you plan on building this monster and when are you gonna drive it? Why not just wait a while if you income is going up and buy a something new and fast? Are you planning on doing some serious events or racing with this 1200 hp beast? You may want to reconsider your goals.