General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cold a/c!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold a/c!!!!!!!!!

My 05 Z71 has ICE COLD A/C in 110 degree weather and sitting still out in a tree lined 4 wheeler trail. My 01 TA has decently cold A/C as long as you're moving and it's under 100 degrees. Is it the poor air flow design of the F body front end that is to blame? Perhaps a better design in the E-fans on the radiator? I have had friends with mechanical fan LS trucks that seem to not have that good of an A/C. Is the compressor design that different? I notice my truck doesn't idle differently or take on a load or make any kind of audible differences when the compressor activates. The car seems to have a heart attack when the compressor activates at idle in traffic. I would like to figure out what exactly makes it better and upgrade the car with truck parts. Anyone have any info on this?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Would also like to hear info on this.

Had a new compressor/evaporator/drier put in my 93 Trans Am and I notice that it struggles at idle with the Ac turning on. And it doesn't get as cold at idle and during 100+ weather while driving.

I think it could just be because it is an older car design vs the newer cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jet49
Would also like to hear info on this.

Had a new compressor/evaporator/drier put in my 93 Trans Am and I notice that it struggles at idle with the Ac turning on. And it doesn't get as cold at idle and during 100+ weather while driving.

I think it could just be because it is an older car design vs the newer cars.
I don't think that is the problem considering my car and truck are 4 years apart. That being said, they might've never redesigned the system from the older cars when they went to LS motors
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

you need to make sure both of your fans are turning on with the a/c on. and blow out your condensor and radiator. could be over or undercharged also. there is a pretty fine line on how much freon you can put in a system and the condensor still pull the heat out properly.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I checked the charge and consulted more than one mechanic about where it should be at and it is where it should be... My efans put me in fear of lifting the front end off the ground with the force they produce (more than the truck it seems). I don't really think that is the problem considering I have owned 3 F bodies and they all pretty much behaved the same. This car has the highest mileage of any of the others (around 202k) but it has by far the coldest A/C compared to the others as long as it is in motion. I blame that mostly on the former owner replacing the radiator, and water pump before selling the car as well as blowing the junk out of the condensor from the back side. I here there is a difference in compressor design between the cars and the trucks and that the F body version is more variable so it can operate at higher RPM. The guy I heard that from is completely full of it so Idk how reliable that info is
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Speaking of an Lq4 / Lq9 .... Can you swap all of the ac components into an f body when doing an lq swap?

That way you get the new technology of the ac in an f body or whatever you swap it into.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

mine works fine. you probably just need something replaced.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cleaning out the condenser debris should be an annual
maintenance. It catches a lot of stuff. A garden hose
may be more effective than air. I got a whole lot of what
looked like grass clippings out of mine.

The 4th gen cooling air path does kinda suck, and drawing
off the hot pavement helps none.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Cleaning out the condenser debris should be an annual
maintenance. It catches a lot of stuff. A garden hose
may be more effective than air. I got a whole lot of what
looked like grass clippings out of mine.

The 4th gen cooling air path does kinda suck, and drawing
off the hot pavement helps none.
I do that quite often to everything I own especially leading into summer months. I had a Ford that damn near blew up from overheating. I blew the water hose through it backwards and it never had a problem again. The design is quite ridiculous as mostly everything in these cars is. I think the engineers that thought this **** up were on some major crack. Possibly if the cooling surfaces all face a forward angle instead of backward like a 80s model 300ZX, the cooling/A/C systems would become drastically more efficient. The air has to hit that air dam bullshit then go straight up through a narrow air passage then back at a downward angle to make it through the radiator. Air seriously has to change directions like 4 times to make it through the damn system. Maybe when I do a drivetrain swap into a fox body with an actual grill and a vertical mount radiator/condensor, the damn A/C will work properly!