General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 vs. Modular V8 costs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs. Modular V8 costs

First post here. I currently have a 2001 Mustang GT (flame on lol, but i'm not really brand specific. I appreciate both) and am really contemplating a WS6 Trans Am for my next car when I can afford it.

Was just wondering. Will the Trans Am cost more to maintain/fix (for stuff like plugs, air filter, shocks/struts, other suspension stuff, etc) that say a 4V Mustang like a Mach 1 or a 99/01 Cobra? Does the Trans Am get stamped with the same tax that the Corvette has?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well not knowing what you are looking to do with the car this seems like a very broad question. That being said, from quick deduction I think the LS motors will be much cheaper to operate than the modular 4V Fords. Simple observation LS motors have 1 cam that can be upgraded and changed, where it will be 4 cams to replace and mess with on the Ford. As for plugs, shocks and other stuff it will be relatively the same.

As for the tax, I don't know what tax you are worried about, if you are buying a WS6 you are buying a used car so gas guzzler and other taxes wouldn't apply. As for state income taxes, I am not sure what the impact would be for you personally. Living in Texas, there is no state income tax.

If you want to compare mods quickly I recommend Texas Speeds site for good quick comparisons on prices. It has great explanations and a great shopping cart to use for your planned build. These guys know there stuff.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravik
First post here. I currently have a 2001 Mustang GT (flame on lol, but i'm not really brand specific. I appreciate both) and am really contemplating a WS6 Trans Am for my next car when I can afford it.

Was just wondering. Will the Trans Am cost more to maintain/fix (for stuff like plugs, air filter, shocks/struts, other suspension stuff, etc) that say a 4V Mustang like a Mach 1 or a 99/01 Cobra? Does the Trans Am get stamped with the same tax that the Corvette has?

Thanks!
Maintenance costs should be around the same, but most mods will be cheaper and yield you significantly more power with an LS1.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 427zm
Well not knowing what you are looking to do with the car this seems like a very broad question. That being said, from quick deduction I think the LS motors will be much cheaper to operate than the modular 4V Fords. Simple observation LS motors have 1 cam that can be upgraded and changed, where it will be 4 cams to replace and mess with on the Ford. As for plugs, shocks and other stuff it will be relatively the same.

As for the tax, I don't know what tax you are worried about, if you are buying a WS6 you are buying a used car so gas guzzler and other taxes wouldn't apply. As for state income taxes, I am not sure what the impact would be for you personally. Living in Texas, there is no state income tax.

If you want to compare mods quickly I recommend Texas Speeds site for good quick comparisons on prices. It has great explanations and a great shopping cart to use for your planned build. These guys know there stuff.
And Corvette tax being that it seems like just because it's a corvette, everything is more expensive.

All I know is that from comparing the two, exhaust costs a lot more for the LSx's. For the 'Stangs, Borla is considered the spendy catback at around $700.

If I could afford it, I would own both lol and have the best of both worlds.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with JD_AMG, the usual miscellaneous maintenance type stuff (plugs, filters, shocks, springs, etc., etc.) should be around the same. However, the LS1 car will definitely be a lot cheaper to go fast with. I remember I was very close to buying an '01 Cobra last year instead of my Camaro, they are nice cars, but I'm pretty happy I didn't do it. This car will be able to meet my goals much easier.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Honestly what kind of responses do you expect from LS1tech? Im sure if you go to a ford site you will get the opposite. With that said maintenance should be around the same. And the general consensus that I found is that the LS1's are easier to go fast with, and the only way to make really good power with the 4v modular engines are to boost them
Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Maintenance costs should be around the same, but most mods will be cheaper and yield you significantly more power with an LS1.
This right here. You will spend more, and sweat more trying to keep the 'mod motor on par with the 'LS. Ironically, even on Ford forums you'll hear the same thing. You can nutswing all you want but the facts are the facts: the 'LS is just easier to play with...
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gravik
All I know is that from comparing the two, exhaust costs a lot more for the LSx's. For the 'Stangs, Borla is considered the spendy catback at around $700.
??? How so?
A $700 cat back is expensive for fbodies!
Many run the $300-400 Hooker or magnaflow systems that flow just as well...

If I could afford it, I would own both lol and have the best of both worlds.
Not to be biased but honestly the 4th gen is a better car IMO. Both are cheap performance cars, but the LS1 cars easily make more power, have better handling and better suspension geometry from the factory. The only thing that the SN95 stang has going for it is a strong rear axle (but that comes with shitty 4 link rear suspension, a weak transmission, and an oversized/overweight engine that struggles to make power).
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I personally think the F-Bodys are a way better bang for your buck type of buy for performance and parts interchangeability with other LS1 cousin engines. I almost bought a Stang GT which was sitting next to my WS6 at the dealer, yes the GT was a lot cheaper, but i looked at them both side by side and when it comes to looks and performance - you cant beat the LS1 for value and bang for your buck performance. Just my .02 though.....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There around the same....
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
I personally think the F-Bodys are a way better bang for your buck type of buy for performance and parts interchangeability with other LS1 cousin engines. I almost bought a Stang GT which was sitting next to my WS6 at the dealer, yes the GT was a lot cheaper, but i looked at them both side by side and when it comes to looks and performance - you cant beat the LS1 for value and bang for your buck performance. Just my .02 though.....
I agree. I test drove a 2002 Camaro SS a few months ago, but I couldn't justify paying a dealership $12k for a stock 100k mile car. And I wasn't huge on the way they look. WS6 Trans AM's on the other hand are pure sex.

I lucked out and picked up my GT for pretty cheap in July.

And the LS1 definitely has a way better lope

Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Teching In

^----Love the sound of that car.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

??? How so?
A $700 cat back is expensive for fbodies!
Many run the $300-400 Hooker or magnaflow systems that flow just as well...

Not to be biased but honestly the 4th gen is a better car IMO. Both are cheap performance cars, but the LS1 cars easily make more power, have better handling and better suspension geometry from the factory. The only thing that the SN95 stang has going for it is a strong rear axle (but that comes with shitty 4 link rear suspension, a weak transmission, and an oversized/overweight engine that struggles to make power).
I think the Mustang is a better built car stock to stock. No 300 pound doors.... easier to get in and out of, no 5 acre dash..hump in ps floor etc...
. However modding the edge goes to the F body hands down
Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Modding, I definitely agree. It's darn near impossible to get 400rwhp N/A out of a new edge. The new 5.0 however is another story.

If I do go with the LS1, I will definitely get a Trans Am. Personally I think the Camaro's need too many visual stuff to make them look good. Trans Ams are just downright mean looking.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently I sold my 5 spd 96 mustang 2v. When I bought it it had chrome cobra 17's, 3.73, lowered, new paint, leather, short shifter, ram clutch, cai, off road h-pipe, flow master cat back. I fixed the stereo and added some subs. Put on some maximum motor sports camber plates. I then began gathering parts for a pi swap. I bought a set of used PI heads and ported them my self, resurfaced, and comp valve springs. Added PI intake and COMP cams stage one cams. I degreed everything and got everything perfect and had it dynoed. Now the only thing I didn't do was headers. And that was because they were expensive and I would have had to swap my H-pipe. So I dynoed it on stock manifolds. Made 275 hp and 300 tq. Before the head swap it was puffing smoke and needed valve seals bad. All new seals and gaskets were used during the swap. The car was very reliable and I never really had to buy or fix anything after that. I paid $5000 for the car and sold it for $4000. Now I will say the flow master always droned terribly unless I put the stock H-pipe back on which I did every winter because it was unbearable in the winter with the windows up. It did handle better compared the 2000 trans am I bought with both having just lowering springs.

Fast Foward I sold the mustang and bought a 2000 Automatic Trans AM Maple Red Metallic WS6 clone.(I know WS6 were not Maple Red Metallic). I paid $7200 for the 2000 Trans AM with 125,000 miles. It had a after market fiber glass ram air hood. Lowered with intrax springs and new standard replacement shocks. It rode very well compared to the harsh ride in the mustang with H&R springs. The car was leather interior and did only have 16" stock style twist wheels. Inside the car was clean with stock stereo monsoon all working and had a autometer monster tach(no shift light). Dash had normal cracks. T-tops still had the covers with them. Car had an SLP lid, unknown cam at the time( I measured it and it's a Torquer V2), unknown dual valve springs, unknown (probably pacesetter) long tube headers, deleted air and egr, off road Y-pipe, Magnaflow catback, QTP electric cutout not working, unknown stall some where between 3200-3600, 3.73 gears, no check engine light so obviously tuned, and a new battery. I was very happy with the find.

Upon getting it home, going over it, and starting to drive it this has been my experience:

Got home and found oil pressure sending unit leaking $40
Window swithes shortly went bad $25
Miscellaneous ebay fixes $30
water pump and fluids $100
Fixed broke solder joint on electric cut out motor $FREE
Ordered new key fob ebay $15
Added the needed trans cooler $50
Replaced rear end pinion seal, fluids $25
Did passenger window mod $35
Power steering pump leak and Rack and pinion seal add lucas stop leak $10
painted brakes black $5

I was now happy with the car except I could tell the headers were leaking at the heads. I decided to replace those gaskets and swap on an LS6 intake manifold I found on craigslist for $175. While pulling the header bolts loose one broke off in the head. I pulled the heads off and bought a set of 241 heads ($125 shipped) off here to start over with because they were untouched and I knew nothing about the history of the 853's on the motor. I ported the heads my self and cleaned them thoroughly. Swapped over the dual valve springs. Installed new valve seals ($20), new head gaskets, header gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, LS7 lifters, LS2 trays, and all the other stuff needed for the head swap. Got it all back together and running fine. Then found a use NOS kit on craigslist for $125. Added that and a few other things to the nitrous kit. Probably $300 total. Just intalled a racetronix fuel pump ($140) today and made my own harness. I also just scored a perfectly mint set of chrome ABS 16" trans am wheels of craigslist that will go on thursday. I considered ws6 wheels but didn't want to go to a 17" wheel after the harshness in the mustang and the 16's ride great and I daily drive this car. I will be getting the car tuned in the next couple weeks.

Here is my over all opinion:

I do feel like the chevy's can nickel and dime you but it would have cost a ton to make 550 hp in the mustang. I am a straight line type of guy but I do miss the handling of the mustang which I'm sure I can get back in the Trans Am but it hooks great for some reason on the street in a straight line so I am leaving it alone. Now for daily driving or just driving I feel like there is way more room in the Trans Am driving but that was going from stick(mustang) to automatic(trans am). I also have two car seats in the Trans Am that I also had in the Mustang and the kids have more room in the Trans AM. I used to have to my seat way up the mustang and now it doesn't even have to move wether there is a kid in there or not. Over all I feel the inside of the Trans AM/ Camaro is cheaper made than the mustang but feels more like a hot rod and the seats are way more comfortable. And the Trans Am had NO exhaust noise resonating inside like the Mustang did even with Pro-thane motor mounts. I had a prothane trans mount but the car got noisy and that took away what I loved about it. So I switched back to a stock mount and it immediately tore, so I tried the energy suspension trans mount and it had the positive feel with no resonating(sounded stock). I thing the 4th gens are for people who love to mod, but like doing it them selves. There is way more support on line performance wise for the lsx motors compared to the 2v and 4v. Mustangs to me are for someone who wants bolt-ons and exterior style. 4th gens are for performance oriented people who want horse power and cars that look mean. I love this trans am and would never go back to a mustang or a new camaro for that matter. In my opinion the fourth gens have enough technology to be fast and reliable but simple enough to still work on in the garage and have that hot rod feel. This is just an honest opinion as I debated what you are currently debating for over a year and I only wished I had done it sooner. Sorry for the extremely long post.

Just to show I am not biased I have personally owned an:
84 gmc jimmy
98 chevy malibu
00 saturn sc2
99 chevy tahoe
00 ford f350 diesel dually( still own )
96 mustang gt
00 Trans Am ( still own )

wife currently drives:

00 chevy blazer

Last edited by jblankenship; 09-11-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I think the Mustang is a better built car stock to stock. No 300 pound doors.... easier to get in and out of, no 5 acre dash..hump in ps floor etc...
. However modding the edge goes to the F body hands down
Never seen it written any clearer lol. This is the truth .
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Eh, they both have their ups and downs. The mustang has a terrible seating position, and terrible shifter location, the Fbody layout is far more comfortable and sporty feeling.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I have to admit i'm jealous of the way those 4valves sound.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

About a week ago I did a straight up trade.. my 2004 Mustang gt with 55K (bolt ons, cams, nitrous, etc) for a 2000 Camaro SS with 75K (bolt ons, HCI, nitrous, etc) and am glad I did I'm pretty sure this car n/a would take the stang on the 100 shot lol. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the LS1 IMO. And I agree with these guys on the whole cost per dollar thing. From what I can tell it's probably similar overall. Time will tell lol
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Eh, they both have their ups and downs. The mustang has a terrible seating position, and terrible shifter location, the Fbody layout is far more comfortable and sporty feeling.
I like when they shift into 2nd and break whatever cup was in the cup holder.
And the dash looks like a huge chode ***** shape.

Originally Posted by homerz28
I have to admit i'm jealous of the way those 4valves sound.
We make up on looks

Quick Reply: LS1 vs. Modular V8 costs