General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Replace more than just water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace more than just water pump?

Needing some advice. My completely stock '99 m6 z28 needs a new water pump... at least I'm pretty sure. (symptoms.. huge waterfall of coolant in parking spot at work, filled, then nothing, then few days later a few drops, then nothing.. Im thinking its going to cut loose again soon enough).

Anyway I'm going to replace it and probably the thermostat while I'm at it. From what I can tell its going to be straight forward and fairly easy. What I'm seeking advice about is what all I should consider doing at the same time. It is a 13 year old car with 71k original miles. It has been maintained well and I want to treat it right.

Help me make a list?
Plugs / wires
Should I consider anything that goes out fairly common on these at 70-75k? Fuel pump or something crazy?
Of course I've already replaced my window motors on both doors (twice on driver side).

What brand should I get for the water pump? GM AC Delco or is the Autozone special alright?

I will continue to hunt through the boards for tips/tricks. Thank you for any thoughts/ideas!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you get the wp gaskets.

Maybe new belts since you're already taking them off and back on.

If you've never replaced plugs and wires on this car then it's a good idea to do so.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my plugs on my 02 at 118K, and they were still good. Plug wires, on the other hand broke, so it was a good thing I bought a new set at the time.

I still have my original pump at 140K, but if yours is leaking, it needs to be replaced.
Are you sure it is leaking at the pump and not the radiator, hoses and or power steering cooler (if equipped)?

As mentioned above, I recommend replacing the belts and you should also get a new set of WP gaskets.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd try to verify where the coolant is leaking from before you get a new waterpump; it might not be the source of the leak.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go ahead and replace the hoses while your at it. Flush the radiator really good and put in fresh fluid.

Not in the engine compartment, but a new fuel filter is always a good idea.

Quick Reply: Replace more than just water pump?