General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Options for V8 with 17k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Why?? besides personal tastes.
They aren't very nice nice cars.

I don't care for the goats, but they are miles nicer in terms of quality and modern amenities. That said, I would say G8. They look better than GTO's and are sick cars.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a F-body would be perfect, I dd my Z28 for 2 years while I was going to school in Phoenix and got 23-25 mpg in the city when I drove modestly and got 30 mpg on my drives home to visit. With just suspension mods at the time I had no problem running low 13's at speed world out there. It just comes down to personal preference at this point because you can get a good performing car for 17k especially an F-body.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Saying a 4th gen fbody is outdated and therefore not worth it is idiotic. Late 60's cars are very outdated and are one of the most sought after cars on the market.

It is all in the taste of the purchasing party. I bought my first f-body less than a year ago, have modded it well for that time and am loving the hell out of it. I can not imagine I would trade it as my DD for anything else anytime in the near future. I have owned and driven pretty much every style of vehicle from a 69 Charger to a Hemi Durango to an Acura TL Type S. And I still love my "out of date" f-body as much as I did my classic muscle car.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

To whomever stated that F bodies are outdated and basically more or less not worth the dough is a bit ignorant. You need to remember that the basic principle and design of this engine is still being carried forward to ALL current GM V8's. Were not talking about LT1's here. I won't even read the entire post.

OP-I think you can get an absolute PIN of a WS6 or even a Firehawk in the upper teens and you'll have one bad *** looking car!! Yes, I am biased
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

because the condition of a 10-12k f-body isn't much off a 17k f-body and that 17k is going to turn into 10k in no time. Depreciation is a bitch with these cars right now, not quite so bad with the goat.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
because the condition of a 10-12k f-body isn't much off a 17k f-body and that 17k is going to turn into 10k in no time. Depreciation is a bitch with these cars right now, not quite so bad with the goat.
Don't know about that, if you're willing to pay around $17k, you can end up with a very, very nice garage queen F-Body. Don't get me wrong, with $10-12k you can indeed find nice ones here and there, but not like these

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30647316&Log=0
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31031105&Log=0
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27100352&Log=0
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

I donno, just my opinion. I would not pay 17K for a stock F-body, even if it is a LSX car. Better be modded to ****, and very, very clean. Then again I DD mine, I love it to death, and am making it as nice as I can over time.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Don't know about that, if you're willing to pay around $17k, you can end up with a very, very nice garage queen F-Body. Don't get me wrong, with $10-12k you can indeed find nice ones here and there, but not like these

I don't like garage queens. Things go bad in a car that sits too long and doesn't get any exercise. Tires, batteries, hoses, seals, a/c components, electric motors to name a few that I've had go bad when I've bought those super low mileage cars. A well kept car with 70,000 or so miles is a much better value for a car that will actually be driven, IMO.

Besides, a lot of them have a certain collectible value, and I know that extremely nice examples are getting more and more rare. I feel bad actually driving them for that reason.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 519 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
I don't like garage queens. Things go bad in a car that sits too long and doesn't get any exercise. Tires, batteries, hoses, seals, a/c components, electric motors to name a few that I've had go bad when I've bought those super low mileage cars. A well kept car with 70,000 or so miles is a much better value for a car that will actually be driven, IMO.

Besides, a lot of them have a certain collectible value, and I know that extremely nice examples are getting more and more rare. I feel bad actually driving them for that reason.
Not my experience with these more modern LS1 cars if kept in a climate controlled garage. You can drive them out just like from the showroom floor but just like you said, the tires and batteries might need to be replaced. No big deal there. Your statement is very accurate for older cars like my SS. Storage has been awful for it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
You can apply that same logic to any car on the road. It isn't just F-bodies. Any $17,000 car will be $10,000 in no time if driven.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6

Exactly!! I also gave similar examples in my original response to the OP. Too many F-body owners here that are rather negative about the very cars they own. Very little appreciation for the nice low mileage rides out there. They are sweet cars and if any of you have never been in a new or 'like new' F-body, try it sometime. You will think quite differently unless you are ready to move on to something else.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
I like the G8s but they are automatic. Cant buy a great LS motor and have an automatic.
I used to be that way and only had 6-spd f bodies until I got my '02 with the A4 and I love it. Don't be ignorant.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
I've looked into the 04-07 CTS-V and love them, but just not sure my salary will hold up against all the replacement parts for a luxury sports car with no warranty.
If you buy a V, make sure it has all the "fixes". They're not mods so much as they are "fixes". Poly motor/trans mounts and bushings, an LS7 clutch, a short shifter, anti-wheel hop axles and other similar "mods" are really necessary evils with these cars. Stock mounts wear out and fail too quickly, the stock clutch has a 45lb FLYWHEEL! It's a real pig and needs to go, especially after the dual mass portion fails and starts clunking. The rubber driveline bushings don't support the rear differential enough during shifts and clunk... etc. If you see mods on a V, don't be too alarmed--they're a good thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree with him, 17K is a lot for one nowadays, but mostly because there are stock aspects that I could never go back to after being modded.
The factory shifter is to tall and sloppy.
The factory shocks belong on a truck, quality shocks (bilstien or koni) are a must IMO. Wouldn't even want to drive one with them.
Most of these (M6) cars have clutch hydraulic issues that need fixing (tick master cylinder).
Stock brake pads suck, stock rotors warp easy.
Stock exhaust is way too quiet.
Im sure I forgot some things too...
Looks-wise they sit way too high from the factory, and after having 17x11s on the rear with 315s Ive grown really fond of how well they fill out the wheel wells, anything more narrow just looks out of place now.
Then lets not forget how easy it is to gain power with bolt ons, just too tempting.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

he doesnt have to spend all 17k. He could find a decent F body with decent miles for low teens and use the rest to use for any type of problems it may have. Clean her up real nice and get her to 100% if she is not already. But things like clutch and trans can need work after a while.

Quick Reply: Options for V8 with 17k?