General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Options for V8 with 17k?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for V8 with 17k?

I'm looking for a V8 car in the 17k dollar range and I've came to a crossroad. I just want a big rumbling V8 that I will keep stock have a decent amount of power and reliability.

I've looked into the 04-07 CTS-V and love them, but just not sure my salary will hold up against all the replacement parts for a luxury sports car with no warranty. The LS2 GTOs are cool but not completely sold on the interior or exterior frankly. I've looked at the C5 Z06s and love them as well but this will be my only vehicle so the lack of seat space will bite me in the butt.

I'm just hoping to get some different point of views from you guys. Like I said I have no interest in modding anything I buy I'm looking for a solid V8 that will put down some power and let me hear it.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

g8 gt
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM

I like the G8s but they are automatic. Cant buy a great LS motor and have an automatic.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 519 Likes on 374 Posts

I think you have come to the right place
You can get one heck of a nice F-body for $17,000. Your choice of Camaro or Trans Am that has had just one or two owners, is stock, and nice low mileage too. I've owned these F-bodies for 16+ years since my new '96 Formula and the repairs are minimal. I am not hard on the cars at all but when I feel like a spirited run they never disappoint. I also keep them bone stock just like you want to do. These cars have plenty of room when you put down that rear seat and I have never felt I needed more space than what it provides. Best of luck with your search and here are a few examples (there are MANY!)of what you could buy (remember that these are asking prices and can be had for much less in some instances, especially with cash in hand and in person).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item564cf29423
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-TR...item2ec2262aaf
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22086571&Log=0
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21329564&Log=0
Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I gotta say man the ls2 gto might be my pick. I am with you on the exterior styling but you can do a couple appearance mods and make them look pretty sick.

The interior on the other hand...you must not have sat in one or you would be totally sold. Best interior of any GM car I've ever seen. I would have those seats in my livings room...

Plus a 6 liter is hard to beat if you're keeping it stock. G8's are nice but too big in my opinion...i'm not a 4 door fan but it's all in what you want.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can honestly say if I was spending 17k on a car to keep stock...it sure as hell wouldn't be an f-body
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depending on where you live, you might need a winter dd.

I dont dd the camaro anymore and its good. if you have 17k, I 'd say get a mint condition fbody of your choice & a 4 cylinder everyday car.

Maintence would be less on fbody and you enjoy it even more when you go from a weak 4cylinder to 8 on weekends.

With gas being almost $5 in some places, driving the 4 cylinder would leave more mod money.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 519 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
I can honestly say if I was spending 17k on a car to keep stock...it sure as hell wouldn't be an f-body
Why?? besides personal tastes.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM

I live in Arizona so every car I've ever owned combined has maybe seen snow... 1 time? Haha. So I'll DD this car everywhere year round. I currently own a 4 cylinder Honda Civic. I turbocharged it and it makes 310 whp but I've had my fun with these cars and even with the great MPG I get I'm ready for different taste. The LS2s I mentioned in my original post all get atleast 23+ mpg with the 6th gear so I'm really not to worried about gas.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

then your choices are Fbody, C5 Vette, GTO, G8GT, TBSS.
Last 2 I mentioned are auto.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A nice, low mileage SS or WS6 would definintely be my choice. I daily drive mines, not the most comfortable or soothing car to drive, but they are a ton of fun, relatively cheap to maintain and super reliable. I would have a hard time leaving it stock though, gets kind of old after a while.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I don't think I'd be spending 17k for an F-body. Their appeal isn't that they're one of the best cars on the road. It's that they're one of the cheapest cars as far as performance/$ is concerned. And 17k could buy you a whole lot better.

The V8 will cost a lot because of bad gas mileage and premium gas in comparison to a lot of other cars you could buy. In comparison, the extra cost of maintaining the luxury CTS-V will be pretty low. You should just buy it if it's what you want.

Alternatively, if you look outside of American cars, an M5 would be another good fit. But if you're scared of buying an American V8 for maintenance then don't even think about a BMW.

If you weren't so averse to modifying a car, you could consider a bunch of possible V8 swaps.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G8gt IMO, you would be retarded to buy an f-body for $17k when you can get a c5 or c5z for that. A c5z will be alittle tougher to get for 17k but I've seen some in my area for 18k or so that are mint. Personally I wouldn't spend over 10-12k for and fbody, don't get me wrong they are reliable and fun, but outdated. Personally a g8 is my choice or a c5z.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
Alternatively, if you look outside of American cars, an M5 would be another good fit. But if you're scared of buying an American V8 for maintenance then don't even think about a BMW.

If you weren't so averse to modifying a car, you could consider a bunch of possible V8 swaps.
I'd love to buy an 05 M3 or something similar but from EVERYONE says the parts and maintenance hurt pocketbook badly. And I'm just trying to figure out if the Cadillacs follow the same path or anywhere close .

As far as modifying the cars... like I said I've already built a car pistons, rods, cam, turbo, whole nine and it was great but I've moved recently moved into a place where I can't hold my tools or have a place to work on the car. My plan is to keep this next car completely stock no problems, no tweaking, not on this car. Just a nice fun car to drive for a few years.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hobkinz
I'd love to buy an 05 M3 or something similar but from EVERYONE says the parts and maintenance hurt pocketbook badly. And I'm just trying to figure out if the Cadillacs follow the same path or anywhere close .

As far as modifying the cars... like I said I've already built a car pistons, rods, cam, turbo, whole nine and it was great but I've moved recently moved into a place where I can't hold my tools or have a place to work on the car. My plan is to keep this next car completely stock no problems, no tweaking, not on this car. Just a nice fun car to drive for a few years.
I'd say to go for the Cadillac then. At the very least you shouldn't have to worry about the engine and drivetrain. It's pretty much the same thing that's in a lot of other GM V8 cars. If you ever changed your mind and wanted to tweak, at least there's a good amount of aftermarket support for them.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are just looking for a GM car?

because as much as it kills me a 3v mustang is probably a nice DD and as you know with an exhaust they sound killer.

but you can buy my 35k m6 GTO for 17000.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 09-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:17 PM

I am definitely not limiting myself to GM by any means, but being in the market for V8s it seems that's where most of the cars that appeal to me are. If you guys have other suggestions I'd love to hear them. The mustangs are what made me want the V8 but after starting my research they are slower and less attractive then the CTS-V for example.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The M6 trans is nice, but a A4 trans with a 3200 to 3600 Stall TC with a mostly stock engine are surprisingly fast.
IMO, I wouldn't totally write off one with a A4 trans.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Metal Muscle
I'd say to go for the Cadillac then. At the very least you shouldn't have to worry about the engine and drivetrain. It's pretty much the same thing that's in a lot of other GM V8 cars. If you ever changed your mind and wanted to tweak, at least there's a good amount of aftermarket support for them.
This was exactly what I was thinking. Even though it's a Caddy, it's basically just a GM as far as the drivetrain parts are concerned, plus IMO, it looks a lot better that the G8. As far the interior, again, it probably won't make much of a difference as far as repairing a CTS versus a G8.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

You could also consider a 540i or an S4. If you do consider an auto, there's also the M45 (which has a shiftable 5 speed auto that works pretty well), the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger (also with a shiftable 5 speed auto).

Just go around and drive them until you find one that you really like. Owning a car is about an emotional connection, don't feel the need to make a decision purely based on logic

Quick Reply: Options for V8 with 17k?