General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What is the most fun mod to a 4th gen F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the most fun mod to a 4th gen F-body?

I guess I've been on this forum for a few months, but never had my "first thread" here. So I'm going to say this is it!

I grew up in the Midwest, always owning trucks due to winter weather. I joined the Navy one year ago from the 12th of June. Since then, I've gotten to go to warm places and have sports cars like I always wanted! So I started with a 32v Mach 1....what a MISTAKE!!!! Problems are waaaaayy to expensive! So I sold it, broke even thankfully, and got a 2000 Z28 M6. I love T-Tops!!! Came with an SLP lid, ram air intake, smooth air bellows, Vette rims, drilled and slotted rotors, and a nice stereo already installed! So far, I've done small things: QTP electric cutout, ceramic brake pads, air/egr delete, hurst shift ****, fancy floormats, and made preparations for a header install. Header install will include: TSP 304 SS headers, off road y pipe, prothane polyurethane motor and transmission mounts, new studs, MSD wires, and NGK TR6s. Also coming soon will be a Hotchkis STB and WS6 skipshift eliminator.

So what else do I plan on doing with the car? Well, that's where you guys come in! My favorite question I've ever seen on a forum was asked on a dakota/durango forum: What is the most fun modification? It is not asking, "What will add the most hp for the smallest amount of money?" or anything like that. It simply asks what it means! On the Dakota forum, common answers were: Hotchkis coilovers, 3.92 posi, headers, true duals, lift kit, etc. I am also interested in stiffening up the car; it rides like a Buick.

So what's your answer for the 4th gen F-body? What has been your favorite modification?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Exhaust! My favorite has got to be the exhaust!! But if you're lookin for some free stuff, it's amazing what a can of semi-gloss black paint can do to a Camaro. Whistler mod and a Berger Panel do wonders for the appearance! Good luck, and welcome to the LS community
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome to the playground. Nitrous is FUN
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Staging Lane

I enjoyed my car alot more after the suspension mods and being able to go faster around turns . There is a simple answer ! Billstien shocks, strano springs , bmr lower control arms and subframe connectors . World of difference !
Old 06-09-2013, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on exhaust being the most fun. Its not too expensive, you have many different options, and you'll enjoy it everytime you turn your car on.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the car more?

Exhaust.

Rims/lower.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Tq Converter!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by luigiandme
Tq Converter!
What converter do you recommend for his T56?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

Mt clutch and faceplated t56 has been my favorite mods. Well the weight reduction is up there too.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LoneGunman
Exhaust! My favorite has got to be the exhaust!! But if you're lookin for some free stuff, it's amazing what a can of semi-gloss black paint can do to a Camaro. Whistler mod and a Berger Panel do wonders for the appearance! Good luck, and welcome to the LS community
What is a whistler mod?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

4.10 gear is the most for your money imo!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Given OP's car:

Exhaust - I'd go with a GMMG if you can find one.
Tune
Subframe Connectors
Shocks/Springs
Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
What converter do you recommend for his T56?
I would have said a stall but I made sure to look what trans he had first

Since he cant experience a stall then a cam should be the most fun besides the exhaust making it sound fun
Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dudesqueak
I guess I've been on this forum for a few months, but never had my "first thread" here. So I'm going to say this is it!

I grew up in the Midwest, always owning trucks due to winter weather. I joined the Navy one year ago from the 12th of June. Since then, I've gotten to go to warm places and have sports cars like I always wanted! So I started with a 32v Mach 1....what a MISTAKE!!!! Problems are waaaaayy to expensive! So I sold it, broke even thankfully, and got a 2000 Z28 M6. I love T-Tops!!! Came with an SLP lid, ram air intake, smooth air bellows, Vette rims, drilled and slotted rotors, and a nice stereo already installed! So far, I've done small things: QTP electric cutout, ceramic brake pads, air/egr delete, hurst shift ****, fancy floormats, and made preparations for a header install. Header install will include: TSP 304 SS headers, off road y pipe, prothane polyurethane motor and transmission mounts, new studs, MSD wires, and NGK TR6s. Also coming soon will be a Hotchkis STB and WS6 skipshift eliminator.

So what else do I plan on doing with the car? Well, that's where you guys come in! My favorite question I've ever seen on a forum was asked on a dakota/durango forum: What is the most fun modification? It is not asking, "What will add the most hp for the smallest amount of money?" or anything like that. It simply asks what it means! On the Dakota forum, common answers were: Hotchkis coilovers, 3.92 posi, headers, true duals, lift kit, etc. I am also interested in stiffening up the car; it rides like a Buick.

So what's your answer for the 4th gen F-body? What has been your favorite modification?
Welcome!
Most "fun" mods IMO are koni shocks (easily the best thing Ive done to the car), e-cutout, cam.

Before you do anything make sure to search, search, and then search again.
For example: skip the poly trans mount as it seems to only cause excessive vibrations for a small improvement in shift feel, but the poly motor mounts are ok.
Get quality blank or just slotted rotors, drilled rotors have a high tendency to crack, especially if they are cheap (even with regular street driving) - also most ceramic pads are ****, go with some hawk HPS pads, you will love the stopping power.
Skip the STB, they do nothing.
Want to stiffen up the car? Better handling, feel, control, stability? Better (more firm, less jarring) ride too? -> Koni SA's
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
You won't believe you are driving the same car...
If you want more suspension mods for better handling look at Strano springs and strano swaybars (after you have good shocks already).

You can honestly skip or save for later SFCs, LCAs, and torque arm as they make a very little difference at best.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dudesqueak
What is a whistler mod?
Ha ha, boy you are a noob! Whistler mod is when you take apart the headlights, and paint the reflector area black. There are hundereds of threads on exactly how to do it, just search "whistler mod". Here is a pic of "whistlered" lights...

Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evillsx
4.10 gear is the most for your money imo!
This is my vote, I like my MGW shifter too.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Given OP's car:

Exhaust - I'd go with a GMMG if you can find one.
Tune
Subframe Connectors
Shocks/Springs
I thought the GMMG exhaust was just sold as the Madhammer or something like that now.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

How loud is GGMG/madhammer on a car with a cam LTs ORY?

Drone?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really know, I would assume it is raspy and drony like most LT ORY set-ups. I'm sure you can find plenty of clips on Youtube. The GMMG/MH exhaust is typically regarded as one of the better sounding exhaust in tone from what I have read on here over time, but as with all exhaust talk it's all subjective and preference.

I'm pretty sure ColoradoSpeed sells the Madhammer (probably others, I don't really shop exhaust systems since I have no need for one), I think it was renamed because GMMG closed.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1.Bigger sway bars so I can throw the car in drift easier!

2. Cam, cuz its so awesome when everyone in the gas station turns and stares like a pro stocker just pulled up. The power is nice too.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cam and Exhaust... or lack thereof

Quick Reply: What is the most fun mod to a 4th gen F-body?