General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
If I were to put in 4 or 5 point belts, don't I have to get a cage and seats with slots to put the belts? that seems like a ton of money. Although I would definitely do that if I had the money, even in my daily driver
anddd..can anybody provide a quick response to that? lol
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Every setup that I've seen has a cage so that the belts can attach to it with the openings in the seats. Careful though, I've read that shoulder harnesses are not street legal because they restrict the driver's movement.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Every setup that I've seen has a cage so that the belts can attach to it with the openings in the seats. Careful though, I've read that shoulder harnesses are not street legal because they restrict the driver's movement.
WHAT! added safety is illegal? restricted movement is exactly what keeps the driver safe.....good lord
Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Its not like these are 100k, 300k, 500k, or 1 million dollar vintage Ferrari or something. If you wreck your $5-20k 4th gen and deploy the airbag, you've probably tweaked the unibody all to hell. Let the insurance write it off, go buy another one. So who gives a **** you your airbags deploy and destroy your windshield or dashboard????

These cars are at the point to where if you have a bad enough wreck to deploy the airbag, they're written off, you go buy another one. They aren't collectible enough to where the resale value warrants fixing severely wrecked car with airbag deployment. Once again, I wouldn't want my fbody back if it were in a bad enough wreck to deploy the airbags.
I can't agree with this as a blanket statement, the earlier post from Mumbles is a good example of why.

As for value, it doesn't really matter if the car is worth $4k or $100k, value itself never matters so long as it's properly insured. It's less about the cash and more about individual interest in the specific car in question.

Removing/disabling an air bag doesn't suddenly make these cars a death trap. I stand behind my previous point; they're still far safer than many of the older cars that some of us keep on the road....and yet I still keep driving my 40+ year old car, so I certainly can't fault someone for removing an air bag for their own personal reasons.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giosoccer20
WHAT! added safety is illegal? restricted movement is exactly what keeps the driver safe.....good lord
They're not safe without the roll bar/cage because in the event of a rollover the do not allow the driver to move out of the way of the roof collapsing. But a roll bar could be used to keep the roof in tact in the driver area. All this mumbo about cages not being safe on the street are none sense, just get one designed for street use; you don't need a race cage.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ My honest opinion is that GM spent thousands of hours crashing your 4th gen fbody to make it safe. Why in the hell would you not take advantage of the airbags in the car. I know they saved my *** when I sent my 98 Z28 convertible into a telephone pole at 30mph, I was fully buckled in as well.

Its not like these are 100k, 300k, 500k, or 1 million dollar vintage Ferrari or something. If you wreck your $5-20k 4th gen and deploy the airbag, you've probably tweaked the unibody all to hell. Let the insurance write it off, go buy another one. So who gives a **** you your airbags deploy and destroy your windshield or dashboard????

These cars are at the point to where if you have a bad enough wreck to deploy the airbag, they're written off, you go buy another one. They aren't collectible enough to where the resale value warrants fixing severely wrecked car with airbag deployment. Once again, I wouldn't want my fbody back if it were in a bad enough wreck to deploy the airbags.
You don't feel the same way about your vehicle that I feel about mine. And that is your decision to make, but here is mine...

Your post above is a perfect example of the "Throw-away" Mentality that the majority of people have these days, but that's not what I'm about to subscribe to.

I will never "write off" a car that I busted my *** to have and have wonderful stories and experiences with just because its "not collectible" to you or not worth fixing to some piece of **** Insurance Adjuster who is only worried about saving a dime for a company that is has billions.

As I stated, my property is mine. So to answer your question: I give a ****. I plan to do whatever it takes to preserve all that is mine and at the same time enjoy owning it to the fullest. If that means removing any or all of the so-called Safety Equipment or anything else on any of my vehicles, so be it.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
For the same reason that I don't feel compelled to install an air bag in my '71, I wouldn't really mind not having one in my '98. Frankly, even without the air bag, a 4th gen F-body is about 10 times safer in any sort of collision than a 3rd gen X-body.....but that doesn't stop me from driving the '71. If I was unwilling to remove an air bag from a "weekend toy" car, then I would probably be equally unwilling to drive any sort of antique/classic car for the same type of concern over safety.....but I'm not, so I guess that's why I'm willing to consider/do both.

I guess it's a personal decision in terms of risk vs. reward; what is the chance that the air bag(s) will prevent serious injury or death vs. the chance that it will depoly in a situation where it's not needed, but it manages to destroy the dash and windshield anyway? It's not really a true/false or right/wrong type of answer, it's just a matter of what you personally feel is the greater or more likely risk. We all take different levels of risk in various areas of life every day, so it's just a matter of individual reasoning.
RPM, you nailed it on the head.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Launching!

a little off topic but what aftermarket steering wheels do you guys use? or do you use the stock steering wheel.. I am replacing the radio head unit and dont really want to spend 100 bucks for the control adapter.. plus I want a cooler steering wheel and suggestions at which are plug and play?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I simply can NOT understand how a steering wheel thread can sustain so
many hits and responses, I just had to be a part of it and to be totally honest
the only response I have is to buy a Corvette and you will love the size of the
******* steering wheel !!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
I simply can NOT understand how a steering wheel thread can sustain so
many hits and responses, I just had to be a part of it and to be totally honest
the only response I have is to buy a Corvette and you will love the size of the
******* steering wheel !!!!
whoaaaaaaaaa, easy dude!

and, welcome
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Seems small when I've been driving my '70s Caprice.
Yep, the trend is smaller steering wheels and bigger rims and tires!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Launching!

I drove an '03 jaguar XKR last week, and saw that they too had a large steering wheel.

This made me feel slightly better about our wheels
Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mumbles
You don't feel the same way about your vehicle that I feel about mine. And that is your decision to make, but here is mine...

Your post above is a perfect example of the "Throw-away" Mentality that the majority of people have these days, but that's not what I'm about to subscribe to.

I will never "write off" a car that I busted my *** to have and have wonderful stories and experiences with just because its "not collectible" to you or not worth fixing to some piece of **** Insurance Adjuster who is only worried about saving a dime for a company that is has billions.

As I stated, my property is mine. So to answer your question: I give a ****. I plan to do whatever it takes to preserve all that is mine and at the same time enjoy owning it to the fullest. If that means removing any or all of the so-called Safety Equipment or anything else on any of my vehicles, so be it.

Fair enough if you're that attatched to your car. Its just with unibody cars, once you bend the structure, its almost impossible to get it back into 100% factory spec.

Now I am of the mentality of **** the insurance adjuster if he tries to write off my $8000 car because of a minor collision to where it needs a new front bumper, hood, etc, all the damage is cosmetic.

I'm just talking about a bad wreck to where you get t-boned and the floor, door sill, a pillar, b pillar, and quarter panel all fold in. Its almost impossible to get that car back to factory specs to where all the panels align, it drives straight down the road, the t-top doesn't leak etc. In that case, give me a check and I'll find another.

I mean come on, would you really want your car back after something like this:

Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

The issue here is that the air bags will deploy in cases where the damage isn't nearly as serious as the car above, thus causing more damage than necessary to an otherwise totally repairable car. NOS or excellent condition used interior parts are harder to get, especially ones that match the older interior color.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Launching!

mmmmm. That's nothing. A little Turtle Wax and elbow grease wwill buff it out!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough if you're that attatched to your car. Its just with unibody cars, once you bend the structure, its almost impossible to get it back into 100% factory spec.
Agreed.

Now I am of the mentality of **** the insurance adjuster if he tries to write off my $8000 car because of a minor collision to where it needs a new front bumper, hood, etc, all the damage is cosmetic.
That is EXACTLY what happens when the Air Bags are deployed in these cars regardless of the damage to the vehicle. So, yeah, we're on the same page here. **** the insurance adjuster.

I'm just talking about a bad wreck to where you get t-boned and the floor, door sill, a pillar, b pillar, and quarter panel all fold in. Its almost impossible to get that car back to factory specs to where all the panels align, it drives straight down the road, the t-top doesn't leak etc. In that case, give me a check and I'll find another.
RPMWS6 covered this in the post below.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The issue here is that the air bags will deploy in cases where the damage isn't nearly as serious as the car above, thus causing more damage than necessary to an otherwise totally repairable car. NOS or excellent condition used interior parts are harder to get, especially ones that match the older interior color.

If my car could be restored to its former glory from this condition I most definitely would want it to be. But I'm a little more realistic than that. This is the type of accident that "Totalling" a car is intended for. Not this "Value" Bullshit that is thrown around by uncompassionate insurance adjusters and a lot of self-proclaimed automobile experts.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If my car could be restored to its former glory from this condition I most definitely would want it to be. But I'm a little more realistic than that. This is the type of accident that "Totalling" a car is intended for. Not this "Value" Bullshit that is thrown around by uncompassionate insurance adjusters and a lot of self-proclaimed automobile experts.
Well said. "Uncompassionate insurance adjuster and self-proclaimed automobile experts". Couldn't have put it better myself

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why the HELL are our steering wheels so big?