General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I thought M6s were supposed to get better MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is similar to what others have mentioned. I was not aware of the o2 sensor issue, but I remember reading about keep chamber surface temperatures optimum for peak efficiency ( not neccesarily best performance). I'll see if i can find some discussion of this. GM was big on it with the tpi and lt motors to the point where they were designed to idle around 215-235 degrees and keep the system up around 19x in high flow conditions.

I guess the efficient gains were pretty substantial to scare everyone like that!

I think they still tend to sit right at 210 idling. The c to h gauge just doesn't tell you.

Not blaming it all on the t stat. Don't leave the regular maintenance unchecked!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
So are you saying you can't do a header install and a dyno/street tune in a day?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...tune-take.html
No, from a completely unbiased point of view, the post I quoted sounded like there was some specific reason why it would be beneficial to install and tune on the same day. As if perhaps there was a negative to, say, tuning in a week when in fact there is no appreciable negative. That's why the post was amusing to me.

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
AHHhh....MR. "I've done this a million times" strikes yet again......
First he starts with a cute joke....
Then he issues a straight forward keyboard challenge....
And finally resorts to classless name calling....
all while standing at the top of mount LS1 with his "I have more posts than
you and I used to be a mod" mentality...pontificating to us lesser folk......
We surrender Steve..you win..none of us have anything valid to say on here
and YOU are always right about everything !!!!!!!
You sir have issues. But I'll answer your statements since we're talking.
-Yes I've done lots to f-bodies, more then most here, especially since most members with any actual experience flew the coop long ago. I appreciate a good conversation with sound advice, trouble is that is getting harder and harder to find. If you spout BS, I will correct it. Correct information for this community is more important then your feelings about being told you're wrong.
-I started with a joke, showing you this isn't as serious as you make it out to be.
-Keyboard challenges are how we grow and learn. You do want to learn something from this board don't you? I've been proven wrong plenty of times in the past, and I'm smarter because of it.
-Bonehead is name calling? Sheesh you're a tough crowd...or rather not.
-I musta gave you an infraction or something? Is that where the bitterness comes from? I'm just ordinary folk just like you fella, and to quote myself "I enjoyed this place more before I was a mod, and I'll enjoy it more after I'm not a mod." And ya know what? I was right.

Originally Posted by bene
I have a valid contribution.

I currently have 160 stat on my car and it used to have colder fan settings. My hpt logs would indicate slower o2 sensor readings and they would fail eventually. The aftermath of slower o2 readings is poor fuel mileage almost immediately.

My options were get rid of the 160 stat or change the fan settings to come on much later temperature. I did the latter. I have the fans come on 185-190ish temp and my o2 sensors aren't sluggish anymore and my fuel mileage improved. It's been 3 years since then and the o2 sensors are still actively switching. On track days I do lower fan settings to compensate with the motor running hotter during lap runs.
This is a great post. I wanted to highlight it because there are people here who contribute. I learned something here. My tuner originally set my fans for my 160 stat, before I knew anything about tuning. They kick on where bene quoted above. I can see now that going any lower can be detrimental to my 02s thanks to this post. This is good info since I'm my own tuner now-a-days. So thank you sir!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. No need to turn this thread into a big argument. The car has been tuned so no need to keep going on about the 160* stat.

Quick Reply: I thought M6s were supposed to get better MPG?