General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New 4th Gen, 98-00 or 01-02?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Yeah, trans type is another important thing where you shouldn't "settle". Few people are equally happy with either trans type, usually there is a preference for one or the other.

In my case, I don't like manuals so I'm always looking for autos whenever I'm in the market. It's hard to find low mileage autos once they get to be this old, since most of them were driven regularly as daily drivers. Low mile M6s seem to be easier to find since many were weekend toys.

Color is another big one for some people. If you are at all picky about this (as I am), then don't settle for a color that you don't really like either. A complete and proper color change is extremely expensive, this would be far more difficult and expensive to do properly than even a trans type swap.
Completely agree with the transmission thing -- it's a very subjective topic, but one that can make or break one's driving/ownership experience if they have a preference. This, however, is something that's relatively easy to remedy from a swap standpoint. There will always be someone looking to buy one setup or another, so you can do a swap affordably.

You are also right about the color. I know some people truly don't care, but when I buy any car, I can generally narrow things down to one particular color -- and I'll pay more to ensure I get it.

Like you also mention, a color change is absolutely not a cheap or easy endeavor if one cares anything at all about quality. However, with the wrap "technology" today, it's quite possible to do a temporary change.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, trans type is another important thing where you shouldn't "settle". Few people are equally happy with either trans type, usually there is a preference for one or the other.

In my case, I don't like manuals so I'm always looking for autos whenever I'm in the market. It's hard to find low mileage autos once they get to be this old, since most of them were driven regularly as daily drivers. Low mile M6s seem to be easier to find since many were weekend toys.

Color is another big one for some people. If you are at all picky about this (as I am), then don't settle for a color that you don't really like either. A complete and proper color change is extremely expensive, this would be far more difficult and expensive to do properly than even a trans type swap.
100% agree. I actually found a M6 Ws6 in texas that I was going to buy for basically the same money as the car I have now. The interior wasnt as nice but 2 things turned me off of it. #1 it was red, I hate 99% of red cars, #2 it was in texas and I was going to have to buy it for the most part sight unseen. Sure I could have gone down there and checked it out and flew back had I not wanted it. However we were in the middle of a move so it didn't make sense. In hindsight I should have waited for my M6 ws6 car to come along. But as I said I do like my car and most days I don't care that it's an auto. Also once a stall in installed I think i will feel differently.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I've been looking pretty specifically. The Oregon area isn't too great for 4th gen F-bodies. Too much rain I guess? But anyways I absolutely have to have an M6. My first 2 cars and my camaro were manuals, then I bought a jeep that was auto, and I hate it so much. Driving is unenjoyable for me without a manual tranny. So an M6, preferably WS6 TransAM, T-tops, leather, and either Black, White, or Red. Atleast then I could possibly run some nice black wheels and tint the windows a bit and have it look pretty good.

You guys are all giving great advice and I appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be willing to travel to get the right car -- it makes for a great road trip!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by black79transam
Don't settle. I wanted a 6spd but mine is a a4. I got such a good deal on it that I felt like I could not pass it up. I love the car but there are days I wish it was a 6spd.
I made the same decision and settled for an A4 when I bought my first LS1, though I really wanted an M6. But the result was the opposite. I now have owned both for a number of years, but when push comes to shove, I prefer the (stalled, shift-kitted, tuned) A4 that I "settled" for to my M6.

Unless you're planning to go hardcore, I'm an advocate for the 02 cars whenever the right buy is possible. First of all, the intake swap and EGR delete is not a huge deal, but why go through the hassle when you can buy the right car in the first place? The LS6 intake DOES make a significant difference. Secondly, the 02 OS is the best platform base for tuning on these cars. You can do like I did on my 00 and swap the intake, change the injectors, overwrite the operating system, etc., but again, why not start with the right stuff in the first place? Plus there are other minor improvements that make the 02 the best choice, IMO.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was one of the ones that "settled" for a color. I found my 98 m6 z with 44k miles for 9k. (In '06) but it was a hideous green. Mystic teal metallic. After buying it, getting it all washed, waxed and shined up and seeing it in the sun, I think it's one of the best looking colors on a camaro. Not to mention, it's one of 464 z28's in 98 built in mtm.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Unless you're planning to go hardcore, I'm an advocate for the 02 cars whenever the right buy is possible. First of all, the intake swap and EGR delete is not a huge deal, but why go through the hassle when you can buy the right car in the first place? The LS6 intake DOES make a significant difference. Secondly, the 02 OS is the best platform base for tuning on these cars. You can do like I did on my 00 and swap the intake, change the injectors, overwrite the operating system, etc., but again, why not start with the right stuff in the first place? Plus there are other minor improvements that make the 02 the best choice, IMO.
This is mostly just a matter of opinion though, in terms of what is a bigger hassle to deal with. I'd rather swap intakes than swap roof panels (had to do this on my '02 and would rather not deal with it again). The PCM operating system isn't a huge deal for typical street builds and an experienced tuner, IMO. If you plan a serious build, this might be more of a consideration.

There are several minor changes as the years went on, but not all of them were positive. You do get some good stuff with the later years, but you also give up some good stuff. In the end, it's all about priorities and what seems like the bigger hassle to the individual.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I was one of the ones that "settled" for a color. I found my 98 m6 z with 44k miles for 9k. (In '06) but it was a hideous green. Mystic teal metallic. After buying it, getting it all washed, waxed and shined up and seeing it in the sun, I think it's one of the best looking colors on a camaro. Not to mention, it's one of 464 z28's in 98 built in mtm.
Haha...that's crazy that you used to hate that color. It's one of my favorites.
00, 01, 02, 98, cam

Quick Reply: New 4th Gen, 98-00 or 01-02?