General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

engine teardown questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine teardown questions

So this is my first time tearing down an engine and so I'm taking things slow. Three things I wanted to ask white I was working on this lm7.

First what is the part in the first picture? I pulled it out and may have damaged it so is like to know how important it is.

On the Second picture I noticed some clear liquid build up there. Im assuming it's water and my though is that no water should actually be in the engine. Kinda nervous about that.

The third picture is also weird to me because it looks like there is an accumulation of dirt/grime there. Is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails engine teardown questions-cam00017.jpg   engine teardown questions-cam00016.jpg   engine teardown questions-cam00015.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 03:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First picture is the knock sensor harness, second picture I really cant tell what your seeing and the third picture is probably an old bee hive.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your doing the right thing going slow. I found out, also to clean, clean, clean everything you can.It'll be worth it in the long run, makes inspection easier. Not a know it all, just my $.02.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cpt Asce
So this is my first time tearing down an engine and so I'm taking things slow. Three things I wanted to ask white I was working on this lm7.

First what is the part in the first picture? I pulled it out and may have damaged it so is like to know how important it is.

On the Second picture I noticed some clear liquid build up there. Im assuming it's water and my though is that no water should actually be in the engine. Kinda nervous about that.

The third picture is also weird to me because it looks like there is an accumulation of dirt/grime there. Is that normal?
Originally Posted by itsslow98
First picture is the knock sensor harness, second picture I really cant tell what your seeing and the third picture is probably an old bee hive.
As stated, First pic is of the knock sensor harness... Which is done for and you need a new one. Second pic the clear liquid is water, it happens over time with moisture and is why knock sensors die. Third picture is well, I have no idea other then potentially a bug building a nest or the bottom side of the knock sensor falling apart (happened to mine)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with everyone above me, that looks like some sort of bugs nest or something like that.

Quick Reply: engine teardown questions