General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
** News bulletin for a few of you young guns: Ultra low mileage one owner MINT condition cars can well exceed price guide values. It's common. It's real, whether you agree or disagree.
I think the younger members are typically the ones who are willing to pay most and think they're worth more than they are.

Anything is "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it. That said, I'd like to just see, from afar, the sucker who pays $30,000 for a used F-body today. That's simply ludicrously overpriced. Book value is generally under 10k... Three times that, and then some... please. "Astoundingly stupid" is how I'd describe that buyer. The only way I'd even consider such a purchase is if it had never been titled to anyone, and had essentially no mileage.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Look at these pics. These are all pewter trans ams and they are all clearly in the gold family, not silver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pewt...w=1280&bih=843

Darren
Mine was setting outside of a parts store and the guy behind the counter ask if that was my gold SS. I told him it was Pewter. He said that when the sun hits it just right it has a gold hue to it.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The ones that are priced at $20-30k just won't sell very quickly, if at all, not many are willing to pay that much for an F-Body. People who buy these cars seem to pickup the ones that are sub $15k or so mostly.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

A Chevy dealer down the road always seems to get low-mileage 4th gens, probably 4-5 a summer. Most are priced in the 20-24K range...for example, this summer they had an '02 SOM WS6 auto w/ 8K they had advertised at 22K and an '02 Camaro 35th Ann vert M6 w/ 5K for 25K. Neither car sat on the front lawn long...not sure what they sold for, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't KBB.

One possibility is this...people that are 30+ are buying these low-mile/high $ cars. Maybe they were high in school/college and loved the cars (who didn't lol) but couldn't afford them. Fast forward 12-16 years, these same people have good paying jobs, a house, etc. They can afford to have one now as a toy to cruise on weekends and want the lowest mile, cleanest, stock example to cruise around in so they're willing to pay more.

Last edited by FryZ71; 01-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

I've been watching Barrett-Jackson tonight and they mentioned that Hagerty Collector Car Insurance has a value guide for collector cars. I decided to look and see what it said my car is worth. Here is a link to the page and Conditions 1 - 4 are graphed.

http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=707496

Interesting site to play with..... I looked at a couple of different years including an 02 SS. The 02 SS with low miles is worth more than i thought as was the valuation of the 2000 model year. It is interesting to note that over the last 3 years, these cars have increased in value each year in the period of Jan - April.

The problem with a site like this one is that most people with a Condition 3 car will think theirs is a Condition 1. And as we all know, there are not many Condition 1 cars.

Time to buy one is now.....
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by hutchman
The problem with a site like this one is that most people with a Condition 3 car will think theirs is a Condition 1. And as we all know, there are not many Condition 1 cars.

This is always a considerable problem when it comes to pricing. Some people are either just not realistic about the condition of their car, or they are simply unaware of what terms like "mint", "showroom", or even "near mint/excellent" actually mean.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just surprised at the number of these 4th gens that are parted out, seems daily
Old 01-18-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FryZ71

One possibility is this...people that are 30+ are buying these low-mile/high $ cars. Maybe they were high in school/college and loved the cars (who didn't lol) but couldn't afford them. Fast forward 12-16 years, these same people have good paying jobs, a house, etc. They can afford to have one now as a toy to cruise on weekends and want the lowest mile, cleanest, stock example to cruise around in so they're willing to pay more.
I think this has a lot to do with it. As gen x/y becomes older and more affluent they will get what they wanted when they were younger, the LSx f bodies.

I remember seeing the commercial for the black trans am and thinking to my self: I WILL have one of those when I grow up. Somehow a black trans am turned into a red camaro but as I grow older and do better financially I am willing to pay for what I have wanted all these years.

I don't know about you guys but I have always thought that 6 speed cars held a higher price tag than the 4 speed cars. I don't know what it is but M6 cars are always higher priced...and I gladly paid that higher price.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I think this has a lot to do with it. As gen x/y becomes older and more affluent they will get what they wanted when they were younger, the LSx f bodies.

I remember seeing the commercial for the black trans am and thinking to my self: I WILL have one of those when I grow up. Somehow a black trans am turned into a red camaro but as I grow older and do better financially I am willing to pay for what I have wanted all these years.

I don't know about you guys but I have always thought that 6 speed cars held a higher price tag than the 4 speed cars. I don't know what it is but M6 cars are always higher priced...and I gladly paid that higher price.
^^^^solid answer^^^^
I fall into that category. I have owned 6 first gen f-bodies and another 6 second gens dating back to 1986 when I bought my first 1968 Camaro SS for $2500, I was 20 years old. Bought, sold and traded them over the years.
In 1998 I owned a 68 Camaro 327 4-speed car and I had a friend that was paralyzed from the waist down that had ordered a brand new red 1998 Trans Am WS6 A4 and he asked me to pick it up and take it over to the facility that was going to install his hand controls.
I will never forget that day, that car was beautiful and just hauled ***! I pulled it out of the dealership with 20 miles on the odometer, it had 56 when I dropped it off.
Now I have sweated my ***** off in all these car over the years, some were bone stock, some were slightly modified and some were pro street, open exhaust, roll caged, over heated, broken down on the side of the road beasts. A few got 8-10 mpg with 4speeds that were screaming 3500 rpm at 65mph.
I sold my 454 powered 73 Camaro last spring and had a stack of $100's burning a hole in my pocket looking for a new ride. I saw a ad for a 2000 Trans Am WS6 M6, original owner and it had 538 original miles. I had to see this in person, so I went and looked and the guy wasn't lying, it was fricking 1998 all over again but she was black and had a 6-speed. I ended up paying half of what the guy did the day he bouight the car new. It was basically a brand new 13 year old car, it still smells new to this day. I can drive it anywhere, AC blows cold, car hauls ***** and gets 25mpg. What the hell it was my money and my memories and I have no regrets.
These cars are coming out of the wood work with less than 1000 miles on them more and more every day. They are selling/sold on Ebay for $20K+ all day long and the 2002 CETA cars are selling in the mid to upper $20K's.
Guys with the cash will pay the higher price for these low mileage cars just to fulfill a memory they had 10-15 years ago. KBB or NADA cant put a price on that!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

yea I have a 68 Plymouth sport satellite! 1 of 338

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
tell me about it I have a 73 challenger and my dad has a 70 vert cuda with matching numbers Hemi he is siting on a gold mine there. Love chevy Mopar at heart lol
Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default Where are the buyers !!!!!

I live in WV. Very few people have a need for an American sports car. Everyone drives a foreign 4-banger. Please send me a young or old buyer, I'm ready for a pick-up truck.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmike9396
these cars will never be like the old mopars. Simply to many F bodies made. End of story
mopars are pretty rare but so are the ones they make today LOL. I think people under estimate how many cars were built back in the day. If this is accurate scroll to the bottom They built 699,000 first gens and 609,000 fourth gens. http://www.americancamaro.org/images...Production.pdf

I think the big equation to the older cars is that they made a lot of different variations. Where as when you look at the 4th gens they had at most 3 at any given time. Its nice that gm is going back to all the special runs and options.

I think alot of it has to do with multiple things.
one is like other members said about wanting to buy when you were a kid.

Another is area. When I lived in upstate NY I only saw very few 4thgen camaros running around. Now I live in Chesapeake, VA and they are every where.

I think the last thing about it is that people like to fish. Well If I get what I am asking Ill guess Ill sell it. You can always pick these people out because they still have plates on the car. But you always get the person that is like Ill ask 5g because Ill let the buyer talk me down but Ill really take 4g.

In the end prices all come down to supply and demand. I am under no illusion My car is very clean interior and exterior and I would be lucky to get 3g for it. Good thing I am never gona sell it.

Last edited by Adam1203; 01-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Launching!

A few random thoughts on posts I've read here.

I can see a slight gold tint in pewter cars in the right light. I can understand why somebody would call them gold. Until you see a actual gold fbody

When I looked for my car I did not want a black or red one. my 79 is black and never clean and for some reason I find red boring. I have softened my stance a red a bit after buying my black ws6 and seeing pictures of the red cars on here. I would have to add black accents for me to really like it.

When I was looking for my car I only found 1 seller who was, imo being silly with his asking price. He had a 2000 Black ws6 m6 with 33k on it. Wanted 9K for it. Not bad you say until you realize it had a salvage title, the front bumper was not painted, spider web cracks in paint on rear bumper, both fenders, cracks in dash, cracks in airbag portion of the dash, etc. I dove the car it drove great and thought to myself I would make a offer. But then I saw something that set off alarm bells. The steering wheel was put on crooked. Don't ask me why but after seeing that I could not stop thinking about what other corners were cut or where attention to detail was lacking. The guy ended up selling it the next day. Hopefully that owner got a good deal
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Question What is a good price for a 6 speed '02, black WS6?

I am in the market for a black on black '02 WS6 - 6 speed. I'm not looking for "show room", I have no problem fixing her up myself (I have done it before), just in great running condition so I can slowly add mods. I have previously owned a 98 Camaro Z28 and a 98 Trans Am convertible (30th Clone), yes I know but for $1500 bucks....she was in deplorable shape when I got her and after over $3000 (and plenty of blood sweat and tears) she was beautiful! Go figure, I got pregnant and had to sell her, the SOB that I sold her to never registered her, WRECKED her and LEFT her on a bridge!!! I got a call from some junk yard 100 miles away and they said I owed them $2200 I told them I sold her but asked how bad the damage was (hey, it may be worth my while), they never put the top up and it rained (the body damage could have been fixed)...Any way that was totally off topic. So here I am 30 something and ready for "The One". I REALLY want a Black one but Pewter may work, I have seen prices all over the place from $8000 all the way up to $28,000. I know a lot of it has to do with opinion etc. but what would you say is a "fair price" and do you know if anyone is selling one (preferably near Charleston, SC but for the right price ROAD TRIP!!) Thanks Ya'll!!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally wouldn't pay over 9g and that is really pushing it for me. it would have to be a low millage car.

this TA has high millage but is super clean and the guy is only asking 4g.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4275789077.html
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FryZ71
I'd surmise this is becoming more and more the case. Once emotion enters the equation then "market" value goes out of consideration.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam1203
I personally wouldn't pay over 9g and that is really pushing it for me. it would have to be a low millage car.

this TA has high millage but is super clean and the guy is only asking 4g.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4275789077.html
Looks like a clean stock example but for 6-8k you can get a car with lower miles, many more mods(that most will do anyways) and sometimes legit engine work done already.

Buying a cammed car was the best thing ever. I paid a fraction of what the previous owner did and did none of the work. Chances are ill swap it out for something different or boost anyways but the extra two grand my car cost me over one like this Trans Am netted me motor work, suspension and a car with 88k on it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Looks like a clean stock example but for 6-8k you can get a car with lower miles, many more mods(that most will do anyways) and sometimes legit engine work done already.

Buying a cammed car was the best thing ever. I paid a fraction of what the previous owner did and did none of the work. Chances are ill swap it out for something different or boost anyways but the extra two grand my car cost me over one like this Trans Am netted me motor work, suspension and a car with 88k on it.
well like I said earlier area is going to effect price. That being said I looked that up in two minutes. I dont disagree with you to really. I will say that some people like stock unmolested cars to start with. Personally for me doing the work on my car was the fun part. My car started out life as a V6.

Finding low mileage 4thgens is pretty hard these days at least ones people dont want to pay an arm and a leg for. you have to remember the oldest 4thgen is 21 years old and the youngest is over 12 years old.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

that TA for $3900 does look very clean.

I do not believe that it has the listed "oversize cam" as you cant see any sign of bolt ons on the car , who runs a cam with no bolt ons/other listed supporting mods including stock lid?

Likely could be bought in the $3000 to 3500 range... I posted a few pages back in this thread but I have bought 4 ls1 f bodies , 3 of the 4 had some good bolt on mods , 1 ran 11.9 4 years ago just before I bought it , another ran 12.1 for me in october - just as I bought it other than bolting DR's on it and all 4 were bought between $2000-3800, this TA is one I would be all over if I were currently in the market , 213,000 miles its likely all highway miles and has less real wear on it than most 100k cars , I have had great luck with 200k+ cars provided they are clean well cared for cars , my nicest Z has 238,000 on it currently ( front & center in sig pic) and I just saw a post on here in the last few days with a guy just shy of 350,000 on his stock internals car....
Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here you go asking $30K for a 2002 T/A vert, the ad says low miles so I sent an email asking how many mile, the reply was 28,000!
Was there really on 217 triple black WS6 M6 verts made that year?

http://www.racingjunk.com/Firebird/1...-Firebird.html

Quick Reply: Why do some 4th gen sellers think they're sitting on a goldmine?