General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 to 96 Trans Am - To Keep or Not to Keep and Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question 98 to 96 Trans Am - To Keep or Not to Keep and Swap

Okay....

I have a 98 Trans Am Vert that, from the in-side-out, is worse for wear, since it's been sitting for so long. It's quite fixable, but it will be a handful. Now on the flip, there is a guy selling a 96 Trans Am Vert on the cheap and it's in pretty good condition. It's a 6 speed with a new top clean body, the LT1 a T56 run good, but both windows regulators are shot and will need to be replaced and to top it all off, it has that shitty Banshee nose and it's red.... not really a plus when you want a Murder Out look.

Here's my dilemma... I don't like the pre LS T/A! So I was thinking of dropping my new LQ9 into the 96 and swapping over the front clip of my 98 to the 96.

Now the question... Is this a good idea or should I just keep my 98 work with it? Are there any real PROs or CONs with this? Save for the obvious, what are the differences between the Pre 98 and 98+ Trans Ams?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html

Personally i wouldn't mess with the 96 even if it is cleaner, LTX less desirable overall, even after you swap the front clip, you have the extra $$ for the paint and blending? even if its cheap, you'll probably get nickled and dimed more than you can imagine and it will no longer be worth it in the end.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, I wish I could find a 98+ v6 or LSx Vert roller, but the are impossible to find! But when you do find them, they are cheaper than dirt since no one wants to mod them.

Quick Reply: 98 to 96 Trans Am - To Keep or Not to Keep and Swap