General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Swapping a 4.8 to a 6L

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping a 4.8 to a 6L

Hi guys new to the forum and to fuel injection. I have acquired a 2001 chev pu. It has a 4.8 and a 4l60E. What I would like to do is swap the 4.8 to a 6L and then stuff the hole show into a 62 chevy II project I'm working on. I have read that as long as you get the same era of 6l it will bolt and wire right up. Just have a few questions.

1 - if this is true what year 6L should I be looking for for a direct plug an play
2- is there any reason I can't just use a 6L PCM from the wrecker instead of having the 4.8 tuned for the 6L
3- will the 4L60e hold up behind the 6L if I'm not abusing it on a daily basis
4- If I want to run a set of headers and possibly a slight cam upgrade will it require a tune on the computer?

This is all I can think I at the moment for questions by I'm sure there will be more as the project advances. If I have left out any info for you guys to give accurate advise please let me know.

Thx in advance
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Everything I read here, and everything I hear from the local guys who mess with LSx f-bodies and have done swaps is to leave the 4l60e behind the 4.8/5.3. In stock form it can't hold much power and with lots of $$ thrown at it, it's still less robust than a nearly stock 4l80e.

It will not be a direct plug and play. The depending on the year, the 6.0 will have a different crank flange depth (not 100% but I think these are the iron head years), it uses a special 6.0/4l80e specific flexplate. There are spacers and flexplates available to make just about any combo of trans/block work together.

If you use a stock PCM from a 6.0 would need to change the programming from running a 4l80e to a 4l60e.

Cam and headers would require a tune for best results, but there are folks who have some mild upgrades like that without a tune. YMMV.

Had I to start gathering parts from scratch again I'd either go with a complete 6.0/4l80e drivetrain or have my harness modded to run a 4l80e and have the PCM flashed to run that trans. But my vehicle is about 1800lbs heavier than yours.

Since you already have the 4.8, maybe run what ya brung and learn how to tune it.

I'm finding out that just bolting these motors in is only half the story. The real hotrodding is tuning them properly.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
Everything I read here, and everything I hear from the local guys who mess with LSx f-bodies and have done swaps is to leave the 4l60e behind the 4.8/5.3. In stock form it can't hold much power and with lots of $$ thrown at it, it's still less robust than a nearly stock 4l80e.

It will not be a direct plug and play. The depending on the year, the 6.0 will have a different crank flange depth (not 100% but I think these are the iron head years), it uses a special 6.0/4l80e specific flexplate. There are spacers and flexplates available to make just about any combo of trans/block work together.

If you use a stock PCM from a 6.0 would need to change the programming from running a 4l80e to a 4l60e.

Cam and headers would require a tune for best results, but there are folks who have some mild upgrades like that without a tune. YMMV.

Had I to start gathering parts from scratch again I'd either go with a complete 6.0/4l80e drivetrain or have my harness modded to run a 4l80e and have the PCM flashed to run that trans. But my vehicle is about 1800lbs heavier than yours.

Since you already have the 4.8, maybe run what ya brung and learn how to tune it.

I'm finding out that just bolting these motors in is only half the story. The real hotrodding is tuning them properly.

Thank you for the great info.

I see 4L60E rebuild kits on the net claiming they are good for in access of 450hp but not sure if that claim would be accurate. Im wondering if because it will all be going into a really light car I could get away with a little more than if it was going into a heavy truck. maybe my best option is to just pick up a
6L and 4L80E from the wrecker and flogg the 4.8 and 4L60E

I have also read about the longer cranks. I have read that it is only in the 99-2000 steel headed motors but Im not 100% as I have little experience with The newer motors. I read a post somewhere where a guy did exactly what I want to do. I think he had an 01 4.8 and he picked up a 6L from an 03.(could have been vise versa) He said all that was required was to use the flex plate from the 4.8 and have the computer re-programed with the 6L tune and everything else bolted right up and the wiring was all the same.

As far as the computer part goes, If I were to buy HP Tuners is it capable of making all the needed changes to the computer ie displacement change, trans change, VATS removal??
Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

regarding the HP tuner stuff, yes it is totally possible
google "4l60e segment swap HP Tuners ls1 tech" or something similar since the search function for this site is kinda funky.

I too had planned on rebuilding my 4l60e into something stout. I have rebuilt a couple old school two and three speeds (powerglide, th400) and thought I could hang. Word is, the 4l60e is really sensitive to clutch pack tolerances and a couple other known issues. By no means am I saying it can't be done, just relaying the warning I was given.

In the end though I am a fan of just "run what ya got"
These motors are incredibly tunable, and there are tens of thousands of them heading to the wreckers and salvage yards. It's gonna be a cheap way to have fun for years to come, despite the learning curve.

Quick Reply: Swapping a 4.8 to a 6L