General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would you buy a second Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me and my wife DD'd our old blue Camaro year round for quite a few years and the winters took it's tole on it. Our T/A is a lot nicer and it doesn't leave the garage anytime there is snow on the ground, even when spring comes we wait for it to rain a few times to clean the roads off. Also parking a car I care about in a crowded mall parking lot while Christmas shopping sounds like a scary idea.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I don't think i know anyone who hasn't owned at least 2 f-bodies....i'm on my fourth
I think the OP was talking about owning two or more simultaneously, not in series.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If I was Bill Gates, I'd probably get a beat up A4 Z28 for my DD, a Formula WS6 for the street/track and a Firehawk for show.

But I'm not Bill so one F-Body is enough for me
Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I was talking about owning two or more simultaneously.

Like many have said they don't want to mess up their nice car so I was thinking I could have one that is a Sunday driver with all the power I want. Than I would have something that is pretty much stock. Most the other vehicle types I am into outside of F-body cars would be play vehicles, Jeeps and lifted full size trucks nothing any more practical than a DD Camaro or TA.

Also I think a key part would be location I will be moving to Central TX soon so I am guessing the weather is better on cars down there compared to Northern NY.

It looks as if a F-body LS powered car works as a DD is dependent on mods and how harsh the weather is. With so many variables its hard to say what car would be best over another for DD purposes and for the garage queen.

Perhaps two is to limited maybe I need three or four. LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

to late to ask me about buying a second f-body as I'm on my ninth one. these are just some of them in my driveway. had 15 in the last year, my neighbors just love me!
Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a second Fbody?-20131207_140539.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
to late to ask me about buying a second f-body as I'm on my ninth one. these are just some of them in my driveway. had 15 in the last year, my neighbors just love me!
YES that's what I am talking about. I am sure you never have random people trying to buy them off of you.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
YES that's what I am talking about. I am sure you never have random people trying to buy them off of you.
people know that their at the right house when they come to buy some f-body parts from me! we end up sending a lot of time talking f-bodys.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a summer fall spring dd here in ohio, yes i would. A nice t\a dynamat it up, nice stereo, tint, and leave it stock with a lid. One street car, other as race car toy. Still gotta have 4wd for winter tho
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I've even daily driven them in the winter, which can be pretty harsh with snow here in northern IL. A set of skinny Blizzaks and 100lbs of gravel bags in the trunk (plus keeping the tank at 1/2 full or more) is all it takes to deal with just about any snow event in an urban environment. If you live in a rural area with little plowing and tons of snow, this might be a different story.

Of course, this sort of weather tends to destroy the car (epsecially engine bay and undercarrige). This is why I wanted a 2nd one to actually drive; I would never use a super nice one in this type of weather.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I could probably do it, I say go for it if you're not going to care about the car being in perfect shape. I got my first SS in 2011 when I was 17, now I'm 20 and in college and I still love the way the car drives. However, I do plan to get a fullsize truck to daily when I graduate college though so I can keep my car in nice shape.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think the OP was talking about owning two or more simultaneously, not in series.
Ah. I personally wouldn't. Seems kind of silly to me.....but if you have the garage space and/or income i guess it would be kind of fun. I'd probably have to have a 3rd car to DD though.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Yes I would own a second F-body. I love mine that much! And like others I do feel like the car was designed for me and fits me like a glove.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 2011 tahoe 4x4 as my DD now. Cars and hunting are my passion the hunting is a lot cheaper. So my extra money goes towards cars. The short and sweet of the deal is I think it would be easier to have a stock or near stock car to drive the majority of the time. While having the nice ride that all the modifications go to that would only come out when its nice. Something I could take to car shows and the occasional cruise with a car club.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I DD my Z28 in the summer, from roughly May until October and the only time I don't drive it is if the weather is going to be total **** for the day and there's no point in putting the miles on it or wasting the gas. The other 6 months of the year is winter lol. If I had the garage space and income I think I'd probably get another 4th gen for screw around with and make the g-fast car. Either that or an LSx 3rd gen, since they're way easier to work on. I like having the Z as an every day fun car, it gives me something to look forward to after a long day at work. When 4pm hits and the sun is out, I'm stoked to leave and drive home with the tops off and radio going. But I certainly wouldn't want to DD it if it was a full H/C car with a lumpy cam that was worth the time and money to install in the first place.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 tahoe 4x4 as my DD now. Cars and hunting are my passion the hunting is a lot cheaper. So my extra money goes towards cars. The short and sweet of the deal is I think it would be easier to have a stock or near stock car to drive the majority of the time. While having the nice ride that all the modifications go to that would only come out when its nice. Something I could take to car shows and the occasional cruise with a car club.
Well, there goes my suggestion. I have been very happy with my current setup of '07 TrailBlazer 4x4 (especially this time of year!) while my SS gets driven on more of a "special" occasion (which is anytime I can find an excuse to beat on it ).

I do wish, however, that I could have a winter vehicle, my fun street/track toy, and a LS-powered DD. If this is the line of thinking you're going with, then why not? If you like f-body's best, then buy one to DD. If you'd like to consider something else -- a GTO or CTSV, perhaps -- then go that route. Hell, a 5th gen SS can be had in the teens now, and while not the best for racing, the Zeta platform is great for comfortable street manners (it's a large sedan, after all!).
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

The short and sweet of the deal is I think it would be easier to have a stock or near stock car to drive the majority of the time. While having the nice ride that all the modifications go to that would only come out when its nice. Something I could take to car shows and the occasional cruise with a car club.
This is exactly how I ended up with two at the same time. I never wanted to risk having the garage queen out in bad weather, or leaving it in parking lots while shopping, etc. It was bought to be a show car, but I always enjoyed driving it so I wanted to get another one that I didn't have to worry so much about. So the additional one originally became a nice weather daily driver, and then later an all-weather daily driver.

The only reason I'm planning to get rid of it now is because I no longer use it for a winter driver, so I'd rather get something else that hasn't been exposed to such a harsh climate. I would certainly get another 4th gen to replace it with if the right one came along, for the purpose of spring/summer/fall daily driving. Like I mentioned above, they also make perfectly fine winter drivers in an urban area with the proper tires, if that's the route you wanted to go. The engine bay and undercarrige will certainly deteriorate under those conditions though.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Looks like an Fbod meet
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

Id keep low compression and do a turbo build that its more streetable. Borring out the block is only gonna up compression and cause you to have thinner cylinder walls yes you will make more power but longevity and road friendly wont be as good as a stock bore and low compression imo that is.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would buy 2 more, one would be a small cam car with decent heads, LS6 intake, PS headers, catted y going into magnaflow cat back making roughly 400 rwhp. The other would be a big turbo car, something like 112mm, on an RHS 440, big turbo cam, 255 TEA heads, set at 30+ psi, 9 inch rear, havent picked a trans (because I dont have enough money to do that build anyway) should make about 2000 hp. I would call them MILD, MEDIUM, WILD.

Medium is the car I have now. Stroked LS2 with TEA 225, custom cam from vengeance racing, FAST 92/92, stage 3 performabuilt with a vigilante 3600 stall, 12 bolt with 3.73s. It makes about 530 rwhp 520 rw tq.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've even daily driven them in the winter, which can be pretty harsh with snow here in northern IL. A set of skinny Blizzaks and 100lbs of gravel bags in the trunk (plus keeping the tank at 1/2 full or more) is all it takes to deal with just about any snow event in an urban environment. If you live in a rural area with little plowing and tons of snow, this might be a different story.

Of course, this sort of weather tends to destroy the car (epsecially engine bay and undercarrige). This is why I wanted a 2nd one to actually drive; I would never use a super nice one in this type of weather.
We get quite a lot of snow here, I'm on my 3rd winter with my 98. It's held up pretty well cosmetically. Although, it is parked in heated underground parking when it's not on the road (both at home and work.) I run 225 studded tires on my stock 16's and they do pretty good. Same setup as you with a bag of sand in the trunk. I find a lot of it comes down to driving habits (leaving lots of space when there is a pickup with no flaps spitting rocks and slush) and getting a nice coat of wax on in the late fall pre winter.

Also helps that I have a free car wash bay at my condo so I wash her 7 days a week

I also do a Krown rustproofing treatment in the spring every year.

But, if I had the $$$, I'd love to have a Firebird WS6/Formula LTx or LS to park beside my 98 Z28.
As has been mentioned though, it would be stock except for a lid, catback, short shifter and shocks.
Modified cars come with a lot of headaches!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a second Fbody?