General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by Aculightus
Yeah I just googled it for a goat and it does sound nice...given that you get it up to 2500rpm. At idle sounds damn near stock IMO.

On the other hand...not so much a fan of the Flowmaster's
That clip sounded like a car that still had cats. You'll never get the full volume potential of 10-series (or any other muffler) with cats still in place.

Look for some clips of LS1s that have LTs/no cats/true duals/FM 10. They sound better and much louder than the clip of the '06 you linked above. FM 10s are loud when not tamed by cats and/or resonators.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, "too loud" means it's too loud for the driving conditions/environment.

If you go 30 miles into rural areas, loud exhaust everywhere. In suburbia, you attract attention even with a flowmaster catback. If it's a '70 Charger, it's ok to be really loud. It's an old Charger. A new one is just obnoxious unless it's a race car.

In my apt. complex there are two 2V mustangs with Flowmaster/no muffler setups that are definitely on the loud side, but not "too" loud, except in the early morning and late at night. That's too loud "for the environment", IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, too loud as stated already is very subjective to personal opinion.
So...., my opinion of too loud is when you can't have a conversation with another person in your car at idle or while cruising down the road under a light throttle load. Under WOT with a high flow exhaust and their all going to be loud. I don't think my car is to loud at idle , but I still have to shut my engine off when ordering fastfood at the drive up window. Furthermore, when going from a car with stock cam, manifolds, and cats., to one with a performance cam/headers/and a ORY-pipe is a totally different level of loud. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for the loudest exhaust on a stock car that will have performance upgrade done to the engine at a later date.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Who cares what anyone else thinks about the loudness of your exhaust? Or anything else car-related for that matter?

I didn't buy my car to please everyone else. I bought it because I wanted it.

I'm running straight pipes on stock manifolds, stock y and I pipe and I love it. I've got nothing but compliments on the way it sounds.

If you're running a V8 equipped vehicle, it should be heard.

Just my .02.

Now that that's out of the way, I've yet to hear a 4th-Gen sound as good as any classic muscle car's exhaust note.

As mentioned, the y-pipe setup has a lot to do with that. Nothing beats True Duals on a SBC.

My younger brother's first car was a '68 Camaro SS. Had a little motor work done, not much. He was running True Duals, dumped under the seats and it sounded amazing, both at idle and cruising as well as WOT.

My dad has a '72 Stingray, factory original minus a custom True Dual exhaust system ran out the back. It sounds amazing as well.

I wish I could get my WS6 to sound like that but that's not possible.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

That sound clip is terrible. In person I have yet to hear a better exhaust on an LSx car period.

This is the exact car in question but in person they are much deeper and full sounding.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

^ That is a MUCH better example posted above.

I agree, that is the best possible sound for an LS1 and it is fantastic. Only downside is that the volume might get to be too much for some people as a daily driver, especially since it's so much louder inside the cabin with dumps than it would be with full tail pipes.

I'm a lover of older American iron, but even *I* have to admit that you'd be hard pressed to find any vintage engine that sounds significantly better than the setup posted above would sound in person.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

shows better how deep they are:

stock cats stock cam GTO with just the muffler:

and another:

Old 02-21-2014, 12:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red ss is my car
There's not much room for a chambered muffler on true duals but if you can squeeze them in there it's worth it. Much better sounding than any other f body I've heard.
I've got a gto now with duals and magnaflows and it doesn't sound nearly as good, I'd like.to put the same mufflers on it, but like he said before, they are pretty loud.
I think if you were to run them out the back it would be quite a bit quieter. Even dumped like they were they're not nearly as loud as a loudmouth setup
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

In response to the title:

We dont know. We are too busy being awesome with our loud exhausts to hear what they are saying.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im sure im in the minority on this site but i hope everyone driving on the street with open exhaust or loudmouth gets a ticket. cheers!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That SS does sound incredible, and I wonder what it would sound like with a full exhaust all the way back to the bumper. Definitely way too loud for a DD.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1again
That SS does sound incredible, and I wonder what it would sound like with a full exhaust all the way back to the bumper. Definitely way too loud for a DD.
Video was shot under an awning, it's loud, but I don't think it's quite as loud as the video makes it seem. Hard to quantify volume on a YouTube video...lol. I put an lm 2 on there after this exhaust came off and it was was way louder even through a y pipe and coming all the way back.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm . . . What is too loud ?

For me, "too loud" is :

(1) A car that attracts too much attention from the cops.

(2) Doesn't permit "normal" level conversation or listening to music at lower volume.

(3) Anything that "Drones" or is "Raspy" or "High-Pitched".

(4) Anything that isn't "Stealth / Sleeper ".

For the record, THIS is a MUSCLECAR exhaust note . . .

Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

After doing a lot of research and sound clip hunting, I decided to go with Spintech Pro Streets, good bang for the buck, Honestly I love the LM1's but throw some LT's and a cam in and you've got raspy noise. Not my idea of a good sounding gto. The plan is -

Pacesetter LT's
Spintech Pro Street dumped behind axle
Keeping the cats. (Hate the smell of gas and Illinois has those pesky emissions tests)
Torquer v2 cam, 112 lsa .650 lift

total bought and installed is about~2.5k
Old 02-22-2014, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am sure you could do better with a cam exactly set up for your goals, and those pace setters arent the best idea in the world either. They make changing spark plugs even more of a challenge. All that lift and duration and a mildly designed header would be somewhat counter productive. I am not saying go with 1k+ headers, but we sure have plenty available that can work better than those and still keep you on budget.

Add in an HPT/custom tuning package and we can custom tailor the tune and car to your exact driving habits! And give you infinite ability later on to grow your build and not have to wait for a tune to find out how it works.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Consider getting a small hand held SPL meter, like a Triplett TSC-MC1, it only about $40 and has a Frequency from 31.5 Hz to 8 KHz. I've got one and it works good. I mainly you is with setting audio levels bout it seem to worl well fro checking the Db level of exhaust systems also.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
I am sure you could do better with a cam exactly set up for your goals, and those pace setters arent the best idea in the world either. They make changing spark plugs even more of a challenge. All that lift and duration and a mildly designed header would be somewhat counter productive. I am not saying go with 1k+ headers, but we sure have plenty available that can work better than those and still keep you on budget.

Add in an HPT/custom tuning package and we can custom tailor the tune and car to your exact driving habits! And give you infinite ability later on to grow your build and not have to wait for a tune to find out how it works.

I agree with the headers portion ^ Pacesetters def aren't the best...may just save up and go with ARh or American Racing...I guess If I did either of those brands I might as well go ahead and get Kooks haha. Too bad you all aren't in Chicago
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If we were and you bought from us, youd have to pay sales tax. Luckily, if you do get a set of headers from us, it is free shipping AND no tax to customers outside CO.

ARH is American Racing Headers also. But there are quite a few brands out there that are still less money but better fitment than Pace Setter. BUT if you do want Pace Setter, we sell quite a bit of them in coated and non coated options. But the list of longtube headers we sell (for GTO at least) goes from ARH, Kooks, Dynatech (while supplies last), Stainless Works, JBA, and SLP. There are a few more companies but those are the ones we would recommend.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I decided I will prob go with JBA LT's only because they have a 2.5 inch outlet and the rest of my exhaust piping will be 2.5 as well. I'll def buy from you guys in about 2-3 weeks/ Going to stay catted though, so I believe I'll also need their mid pipes with cats...steep price of about 1200$ not including installation, but It will be worth it later on down the road I suppose
Old 02-23-2014, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The Kooks offers their connection pipes with the OE connections at the back also. They used to have a better description than they do now and they are catted as well.

Quick Reply: What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???