General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???

Just out of curiosity, us muscle car owners bought our cars with intention of sound, looks and power correct? if I remember correctly old school hard tops ran no cats, so weren't 90% pf them loud as hell? I ask because I'm currently thinking about putting the SLP LM1's on my goat, and I've heard people say their too loud..I mean those who put cams and LT's on their ride is gonna get a loud tone no matter what...so is this just a preference thing that actually exists? Or is this just the manly way of saying I'm too much of a ***** for a loud vehicle? Need comments, criticism, anything. Thanks Guys
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aculightus
Just out of curiosity, us muscle car owners bought our cars with intention of sound, looks and power correct? if I remember correctly old school hard tops ran no cats, so weren't 90% pf them loud as hell? I ask because I'm currently thinking about putting the SLP LM1's on my goat, and I've heard people say their too loud..I mean those who put cams and LT's on their ride is gonna get a loud tone no matter what...so is this just a preference thing that actually exists? Or is this just the manly way of saying I'm too much of a ***** for a loud vehicle? Need comments, criticism, anything. Thanks Guys
HA there is no such thing as to much fun. A girl to pretty, to much money,a car to fast? So a car being to loud nope never.

I honestly believe most of the SLP haters have never heard the exhaust in person. They just regurgitate the stuff they read online and claim it to be the truth.

Is the LM1 raspy at WOT? hell yeah but so are other exhaust including the beloved GMMG catback. I have heard both setups a lot and guess what I have owned SLP and GMMG catbacks.

The subject of being to loud is all dependent on each person and what they use their car for. I have had setups that would wake the neighbors when leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning. ( multiple notices from my community manager) So yeah that was probably to loud for most people.

In short this subject is a can of worms waiting to be opened up.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Teching In

It's all personal preference, I love loud exhausts. I like my car being a little obnoxious
However, I try not to **** my neighbors off too much, I start my car in the garage in the morning so I don't wake any of them up.
The one bad thing about a loud exhaust, instant cop attention magnet when you get on it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
HA there is no such thing as to much fun. A girl to pretty, to much money,a car to fast? So a car being to loud nope never.

I honestly believe most of the SLP haters have never heard the exhaust in person. They just regurgitate the stuff they read online and claim it to be the truth.

Is the LM1 raspy at WOT? hell yeah but so are other exhaust including the beloved GMMG catback. I have heard both setups a lot and guess what I have owned SLP and GMMG catbacks.

The subject of being to loud is all dependent on each person and what they use their car for. I have had setups that would wake the neighbors when leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning. ( multiple notices from my community manager) So yeah that was probably to loud for most people.

In short this subject is a can of worms waiting to be opened up.

I agree ^ thanks for the input
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Elwood617
It's all personal preference, I love loud exhausts. I like my car being a little obnoxious
However, I try not to **** my neighbors off too much, I start my car in the garage in the morning so I don't wake any of them up.
The one bad thing about a loud exhaust, instant cop attention magnet when you get on it.
So I've heard, I live in Chicago so the actual Chicago Police force has better things to do. I've never gotten a ticket from them once, it's the suburban douche bags I need to be worried about I'm going to stick with my first mind and grab the LM1's dump em behind the rear axle....if they'll fit...and run 4-5 inch dual tips after I cut the right side of my rear bumper. (04 gto) no rear valence :-( still love the way it looks with PFYC inserts though
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LM1's are ******* garbage and they sound like ****. I've heard them in person so yes, I can say that. I had an LM1 on my car before the LT's and ORY, and I'm glad I got rid of it before I did them. It kind of sounded nice with the stock mani's and Y, but anything more than that and they turn to ****. There's no sound quality with LM's, it's just free flowing exhaust and noise. There is nothing about rasp that sounds nice. And it's not raspy at WOT, and WOT it actually sounds like a V8 exhaust should. It's all the part throttle noise it makes that is unbearable; I always equated it to a retarded trombone because that's what it sounds like.

You gotta remember, back in the old school all those muscle cars had true dual exhausts hooked up to engines that could produce a beautiful exhaust note. I still do not find an LSx exhaust to match the sound of a small block or big block breathing through a set of Flowmasters in most cases. I've heard a few nice sounding LSx motors, but they seem to be rare. But I'm more of a fan of that bassy, smooth sounding exhaust note, not the higher pitched tones most people here seem accustomed to.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1again
LM1's are ******* garbage and they sound like ****. I've heard them in person so yes, I can say that. I had an LM1 on my car before the LT's and ORY, and I'm glad I got rid of it before I did them. It kind of sounded nice with the stock mani's and Y, but anything more than that and they turn to ****. There's no sound quality with LM's, it's just free flowing exhaust and noise. There is nothing about rasp that sounds nice. And it's not raspy at WOT, and WOT it actually sounds like a V8 exhaust should. It's all the part throttle noise it makes that is unbearable; I always equated it to a retarded trombone because that's what it sounds like.

You gotta remember, back in the old school all those muscle cars had true dual exhausts hooked up to engines that could produce a beautiful exhaust note. I still do not find an LSx exhaust to match the sound of a small block or big block breathing through a set of Flowmasters in most cases. I've heard a few nice sounding LSx motors, but they seem to be rare. But I'm more of a fan of that bassy, smooth sounding exhaust note, not the higher pitched tones most people here seem accustomed to.
I can't say I've heard the LM1's in person, just youtube clips like this one

Sounds nice to me...personally I'm not a fan of rasp either...but I do like loudness, especially at idle, and even more WOT...hard to have both with stock mani and headers and just exhaust...Seems like you have to have a good set of LT's a cam and a couple more bolt ons to make an exhaust note worthy
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple answer to a simple question: They are too old.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I like having it both ways thats why I run a magnaflow with a cutout. Ive heard a lm1 with stock manifolds and cats and it sounded good.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

When people say 'too loud' it is usually for a car that has exceeded what should be an acceptable level of noise for the engine or horsepower involved. When I owned a '71 Roadrunner way back in my youth I had a set of side pipes with no muffling device. The exhaust note that was being put out should have been reserved for a 440 car or even a hemi. It didn't work for the 383. It was 'too loud'. It should have sounded more mellow. When you hear 'ricers' going down the street with those crazy exhausts you just laugh at them, knowing that 9 times out of 10 the car isn't putting out anything for power. The same applies to our cars. You want it to sound powerful and impressive but not overly so. I doubt you want anyone looking at your ride and laughing. That would be like me putting on insane loud pipes on my 305 SS that doesn't even put out 200 HP. That would be silly and embarrassing. Make the exhaust note proportionate to the power you are actually putting out. Most everyone will be impressed, whether on the street or at local cruise-ins or shows.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

LM1's are ******* garbage and they sound like ****. I've heard them in person so yes, I can say that. There's no sound quality with LM's, it's just free flowing exhaust and noise. There is nothing about rasp that sounds nice. And it's not raspy at WOT, and WOT it actually sounds like a V8 exhaust should. It's all the part throttle noise it makes that is unbearable; I always equated it to a retarded trombone because that's what it sounds like.
That. Some people do like them for whatever reason and they sound ok at idle and WOT but that's about it.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Simple answer to a simple question: They are too old.

exactly!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
When people say 'too loud' it is usually for a car that has exceeded what should be an acceptable level of noise for the engine or horsepower involved. When I owned a '71 Roadrunner way back in my youth I had a set of side pipes with no muffling device. The exhaust note that was being put out should have been reserved for a 440 car or even a hemi. It didn't work for the 383. It was 'too loud'. It should have sounded more mellow. When you hear 'ricers' going down the street with those crazy exhausts you just laugh at them, knowing that 9 times out of 10 the car isn't putting out anything for power. The same applies to our cars. You want it to sound powerful and impressive but not overly so. I doubt you want anyone looking at your ride and laughing. That would be like me putting on insane loud pipes on my 305 SS that doesn't even put out 200 HP. That would be silly and embarrassing. Make the exhaust note proportionate to the power you are actually putting out. Most everyone will be impressed, whether on the street or at local cruise-ins or shows.
Very interesting theory you got there. I agree 100% never looked at it that way
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I like having it both ways thats why I run a magnaflow with a cutout. Ive heard a lm1 with stock manifolds and cats and it sounded good.
You're making me more comfortable with my decision lol
Old 02-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Teching In

I have cherry bombs right now, everything else is stock...sounds so truckish I feel like a damn red-neck from Mississippi haha, can't wait for this setup
Old 02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
^This Nothing worse than open exhaust on a stock engine, cause they think it sounds good.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

With an ORY, Loudmouth sounds something like a kazoo on crack IMO. But I've always found it to sound great with stock manifolds/cats.

I agree. The fact that the old muscle cars used true dual systems is certainly a huge part of it, since even LS1s sound MUCH better with a true dual setup than with a Y-pipe IMO. But even still, I also agree that many of the older engines seem to have a better tone. It is possible to get an LS1 sounding really good though, I have done it before with some of my setups, but it's tough with a Y-pipe. Some of the best sounding LS1s I've heard have been true dual setups (no cats) with Flowmaster 10-series race mufflers.

I also don't care for the higher pitched exhaust note that many seem to love these days. I think this is why I don't like the sound of any of the exotics; just too high pitched for me.

Originally Posted by Aculightus
Just out of curiosity, us muscle car owners bought our cars with intention of sound, looks and power correct? if I remember correctly old school hard tops ran no cats, so weren't 90% pf them loud as hell?
It's correct that no passenger vehicles had cats prior to 1975, but that doesn't automatically mean that all of them were "loud as hell". Factory mufflers still did a good job of muffling a great deal of the noise, and many of them also had resonators to quiet them further. If you've never heard the exhaust note of an original LS5/LS6 BBC in a Chevelle with stock manifolds and OE-style mufflers and resonators, you might be surprised at how tame it is compared to the average aftermarket setup on a similar engine. Granted, it's still a potent and noticeable rumble, but the volume doesn't even come close to "too loud" IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

An LS engine with 3" duals and Flowmaster 10 series race mufflers is among the best exhaust sounds I have ever heard.

It is almost impossible to beat that tone but it is really loud so might not work well for a daily driver unless your neighbors are chill.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not that I don't like loud cars, but I still want to use it on the street. Not going to be very practical if every cop within 10 miles can hear me do a WOT pull
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
An LS engine with 3" duals and Flowmaster 10 series race mufflers is among the best exhaust sounds I have ever heard.

It is almost impossible to beat that tone but it is really loud so might not work well for a daily driver unless your neighbors are chill.
Yeah I just googled it for a goat and it does sound nice...given that you get it up to 2500rpm. At idle sounds damn near stock IMO. But I do agree flowmaster 10's with an X pipe and a mild cam for the idle would sound amazing...LM1's with an X pipe and cam might be overkill...I'm curious, what do you all think?

Video below is with x pipe, cam and LM1's

On the other hand...not so much a fan of the Flowmaster's

Quick Reply: What does it mean when someone says an exhaust is "too loud"???