General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

6.0 in my 94 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 in my 94 silverado

I been kicking around the idea for a while on wether or not to do an ls swap I'm my daily driven 94 extended can silverado or sell it and buy a newer truck and go from there. Well now it seems my hand's been forced in that direction sooner than expected. My old faithful TBI has given up the ghost it's puffing out burnt oil every time I start it .... Even worse it does it every time I take off from a stop
How am I supposed to convince ppl to bring their car into my shop to get worked on when they see me pulling up in a cloud of white smoke

So in the corner of my shop I have a 6.0 I pulled out of an 05 escalade that was overheating
It only had 65,000 on it so I figured it was worth holding on to
So I pulled the heads sent em to the machine shop
I've contacted the salvage yard we buy used motors, trans etc from and located a wiring harness, ecu and a 4l60 out of an 03 Tahoe
I also have an ls3 cam, camaro intake and a BBK 80 mm throttle body sitting in a box on the shelf in my shop that I thought about using
I know if I use the cam I'll have to use a different timing cover to relocate the cam sensor and different valve springs but not sure what other changes I'll have to make or problems I'm getting into trying to go that route.
I want to make sure all the factory gauges work
I've been discouraged by several folks and heard everyone's nightmare stories about how big a pain in the *** I'm in for
I really don't care I have too much money time and pride in my truck to sell it for nothing
I'm looking for any advise / pointers / suggestions
Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

My vote is to definetly do the swap on the silverado. Yea you can make a good impression with a new one but if this is a well done older one with a tastefully modded lq i think you will attract the right crowd then again the new ones are badass also
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I say go for the swap, but keep it simple. The escalade should have had the lq9, with some headers and a tune you will probly make as much to the ground as your old 5.7 made at the flywheel. Schoenfeld makes headers that fit awesome for this swap. I say use the stock intake and throttle body if it's dbw, it will make the swap easier and cheaper. The truck intakes make more tq/hp down low, and going from dbw to cable is complicated if you don't have the right PCM. A zo6 cam and springs are probly the best way to add a little oomph without having to upgrade your transmission and stall, or change your timing cover. I used a 4l60e behind my 6.0 and had when I had it rebuilt (it was a junkyard dud) I got the tranny shop to use the v6 torque converter (I think they were in s10's) since it supposed to stall a little higher ~2000 and still get a 2 year warranty. I can't help you on using the stock gauges though I used a digital gauge set from summit.

Quick Reply: 6.0 in my 94 silverado