General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gas 87 vs 93 and Octane additive

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Gas 87 vs 93 and Octane additive

Search is getting to jumbled with useless results!

Anyways, Here's a question that I was just thinking about earlier today about gas... I haven't done the math on price yet, but as far as OCT:$ ratio, would it be more cost effective to run the slop (87/oct) and then add some octane booster or just run 93/oct?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll never be as accurate and predictable as going with 93oct out of the pump from a top tier fuel company. I've never heard of anyone that thought it was more cost effective to use octane booster with 87 octane else lots more folks would be doing it. With that said it's a lot of work for something that's going to probably cost more than just buying 93 oct pump gas. at least you know your octane is always 93 providing it's from a good company
Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the problem with products called "octane boosters"...

they all claim to raise octane by X "points" 3 points ,5 points etc..

this is how the points works :

87 octane fuel with proper ratio of octane booster per bottle to raise octane 3 "points" now you have 87.3 octane , product did what it claimed but not what the consumer expects.

if you want to add full octane points you need to increase the aromatics that are increased in premium fuel to get the 93 rating and race fuels to get the even higher ratings , check the msds on premium fuel you will see toluene , xylene , or both.

I have used xylene 5 to 1 WITH 93 on a forced induction car I owned previously for track use but at $18 a gallon its not goint to help your scenario , I have heard it can be bought by 55 gallon drums for $3.xx a gallon through paint supply houses on the grand national forum but never looked into buying in those quantities , xylene is 118 octane.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Search is getting to jumbled with useless results!

Anyways, Here's a question that I was just thinking about earlier today about gas... I haven't done the math on price yet, but as far as OCT:$ ratio, would it be more cost effective to run the slop (87/oct) and then add some octane booster or just run 93/oct?
Octane boosters work...just not the way you think. Those little bottles are like strapping an M80 to an atomic bomb and trying to get a bigger boom.

Take 104+ (which is 104 octane) you would need a mixture of almost half octane booster and half 87 octane gas to get to a level of 93 octane fuel. Definitely more expensive than the extra $0.20/gallon. When those little bottles claim to raise octane levels (of usually ~12gallons) by 2-3 points, that's not 87 to 89 or 90...it's 87 to 87.2 or 87.3

A quick search of the popular brands all found disclaimers that say running octane boost is not a substitute for using lower octane fuels than what is recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't done the math on price yet, but as far as OCT:$ ratio, would it be more cost effective to run the slop (87/oct) and then add some octane booster or just run 93/oct?
Don't cuz it will scare you.

If you save 40 cents a gallon by going 87 that equals to around 6 bux savings. How much does an octane booster cost? Probably more than that.

So in the end you spend more money for 87.3 octane. Do you really want to do that?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by murphinator
here is the problem with products called "octane boosters"...

they all claim to raise octane by X "points" 3 points ,5 points etc..

this is how the points works :

87 octane fuel with proper ratio of octane booster per bottle to raise octane 3 "points" now you have 87.3 octane , product did what it claimed but not what the consumer expects.

if you want to add full octane points you need to increase the aromatics that are increased in premium fuel to get the 93 rating and race fuels to get the even higher ratings , check the msds on premium fuel you will see toluene , xylene , or both.

I have used xylene 5 to 1 WITH 93 on a forced induction car I owned previously for track use but at $18 a gallon its not goint to help your scenario , I have heard it can be bought by 55 gallon drums for $3.xx a gallon through paint supply houses on the grand national forum but never looked into buying in those quantities , xylene is 118 octane.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into this Xylene
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into this Xylene
From what I have read about this stuff is that it runs "dry". You need to add some kind of mineral oil to the mixture as well to keep the fuel injection system in good shape.

It really just all seems like a huge hassle compared to the trivial cost of just paying for the 93 at the pump. The only way it might be worth it IMO if it was for a dedicated race car that I wanted to get every last hp out of. Otherwise for a street machine 93 would suffice or I would convert to e85 which is around 95-98 octane.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 529 Likes on 380 Posts

Nothing beats 93 octane, especially the 'no ethanol' variety if you can find it in your area.
I like to get the Valvoline Nitro when it goes on sale for about $2 per bottle. It really does next to nothing for your octane boost but it also contains ingredients to clean deposits and also eliminates moisture from the gas tank (certainly a plus with the ethanol gas). Similar to HEET in the red bottle. Once a month is all I use it. For us long time owners of these cars, no harm in helping out your ride, even if just a little bit, especially for the moisture accumulation in the tank. It's a very real problem if your car sits a lot.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to justins comment about running "dry" yes if you go more than 5 to 1 you should add top engine lube , usually either a very small percentage of marvel mystery oil or tcw3 outboard oil , I have never gone beyond the 5 to 1.

and yes e85 is the best cheap high octane fuel on the planet if you have it near you but it takes tuning and upgraded fuel delivery capacity to run it straight , you can mix it with gas but to do it right it will require tuning as the stoich air fuel ratio needs to be much richer that with gas , e85 is rated as 105 octane on the pump ( minimum octane rating) based on the lowest octane fuel that would ever come out of an e85 pump/70% ethanol, winter blend e85 for cold climates . true 85% ethanol or summer blend is approx 112 octane but acts more like 118 octane due to the charge cooling effect of the alcohol , touch the intake of an alky car after a pass it will be cold.

heet red is high in ethanol so it attracts and removes water through attachment then combustion like ethanol.

people have swapped from $12 a gallon c16 to $3 a gallon e85 and made more power , I experimented with e85 on my previous platform (SC/3800 but I have to drive 2 states away to get it so its not practical for me and shipping costs kill any advantage as well , if you have it near you educate yourself on it its good stuff if your into performance.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a tank of 89 octane through my Formula once. I got almost 3mpg less than I did with the 93. Obviously that's not cost a effective way to save 20 or 30 cents per gallon.

I've never run less than 93 since.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I ran a tank of 89 octane through my Formula once. I got almost 3mpg less than I did with the 93. Obviously that's not cost a effective way to save 20 or 30 cents per gallon.

I've never run less than 93 since.
I've always heard the opposite of this. That low Oct, since it doesn't burn as efficient as high Oct, get better MPG because there is still unburnt fuel in the cylinder and uses that last "squirt", per say, of fuel, twice... where as the high Oct burns efficiently the first time, with nothing left the second time around...

I hope that made sense, lol...
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope that made sense, lol...
That made no sense whatsoever. If there is unburn fuel left over after combustion, it will all or most of it go out the exhaust port. The engine doesn't see this unburnt fuel and says "hey, let's put it back in the engine and use it again".

Also, if you're not getting a complete burn then the engine is making less power and becoming more inefficient, thus needing more throttle input to maintain constant speed...at which point it needs more fuel.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
That made no sense whatsoever. If there is unburn fuel left over after combustion, it will all or most of it go out the exhaust port. The engine doesn't see this unburnt fuel and says "hey, let's put it back in the engine and use it again".

Also, if you're not getting a complete burn then the engine is making less power and becoming more inefficient, thus needing more throttle input to maintain constant speed...at which point it needs more fuel.
Yeah I was sure I messed that one up, lol... I just remember something about how low Oct burns slower giving you a slight better MPG, but from what you're saying, I guess it was all B.S. anyways
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Octane boosters are a frustrating example of misleading advertising. The name of the 104+ product is no conincidence, however you'd need to add it to 103+ octane to get a tank of 104+ by simply adding their $8 product.

Better off just paying for higher octane pump gas....it's cheaper and you end up with a higher octane level!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, what is the point of the octane boosters then? why would anyone ever buy it if it only boosts octane by .x?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
so, what is the point of the octane boosters then? why would anyone ever buy it if it only boosts octane by .x?
Ignorant people + misleading advertising=$$$$

Same goes with oil additives and most other bottles of crap that fills half an isle at Auto Zone or Walmart.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I was sure I messed that one up, lol... I just remember something about how low Oct burns slower giving you a slight better MPG, but from what you're saying, I guess it was all B.S. anyways
I think you have it backwards. Lower octane fuel burns "easier or quicker" than higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the more compression and heat the fuel can withstand before detonating. Too low of an octane fuel with too much compression can cause the fuel to detonate or ignite pre-maturely causing engine-knock. In other words, higher octane fuel is "harder" to ignite/burn than lower octane.

The bottles of octane boosters are basically worthless to raise octane levels.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 04-04-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 529 Likes on 380 Posts

They are not worthless if you buy the ones with other ingredients. They can clean out carbon and remove moisture like I mentioned earlier. Those are good things, and at $2 or $3 a bottle on sale it isn't going to break the bank, and may help your engine over the long haul. The years go by in a hurry. I still can't believe my car is 13 years old. I have sworn by HEET (in the red bottle) after I ran my tank too low many years ago and started sucking water into the engine. I never knew, and it's never happened again. It isn't an octane booster but the additives can be the same, especially in the Valvoline Nitro. The isopropyl alcohol in the HEET does the trick.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
They are not worthless if you buy the ones with other ingredients. They can clean out carbon and remove moisture like I mentioned earlier. Those are good things, and at $2 or $3 a bottle on sale it isn't going to break the bank, and may help your engine over the long haul. The years go by in a hurry. I still can't believe my car is 13 years old. I have sworn by HEET (in the red bottle) after I ran my tank too low many years ago and started sucking water into the engine. I never knew, and it's never happened again. It isn't an octane booster but the additives can be the same, especially in the Valvoline Nitro. The isopropyl alcohol in the HEET does the trick.
Edited the last line of my above post per taking your word on the cleaning & treatment part. That's good to know.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I'd rather just always buy top tier rated gas to clean out carbon build up, and if you've worried about moisture buy a tank of E10 every now and then. 10 gallons of E10 would have 1 whole gallon of alcohol, that should be more than enough to remove any water in your gas tank.

Quick Reply: Gas 87 vs 93 and Octane additive