General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

is the steering supposed to get heavier with an aftermarket wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I believe you'll have to use the steering wheel removal tool to slightly compress the yellow piece down so you can remove a snap ring holding it in place, and carefully remove the piece with the wires coming through the column on the hole on the left side, I think you need to push it in a rotate it then it'll come out, , I'm not 100% sure since it been a while since it did it. I'm also pretty sure you need to cut the connector off for the yellow cable that goes down through the steering column.
+1 you have do remove that and it is very easy to figure out when you remove the wheel.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I believe you'll have to use the steering wheel removal tool to slightly compress the yellow piece down so you can remove a snap ring holding it in place, and carefully remove the piece with the wires coming through the column on the hole on the left side, I think you need to push it in a rotate it then it'll come out, , I'm not 100% sure since it been a while since it did it. I'm also pretty sure you need to cut the connector off for the yellow cable that goes down through the steering column.
okay gotchya. your and everyone's input is greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Launching!

so i took my wheel apart again, trying to remove the yellow part, but that part seems like something that wouldn't come off without breaking, and I don't want it to break since when it comes time to sell the car, I can tell the next owner that if they want an airbag again, all they have to do is put the original wheel back on and solder the wires back together.

I guess I'll just deal with the slicing sound? i dunno
Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Teching In

I used the same install kit and had all the same issues. I ended up removing the clock spring and using some big washers to space out that hub adapter. Im sure grinding it down will do the same thing. Works perfect now.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedgoat
I used the same install kit and had all the same issues. I ended up removing the clock spring and using some big washers to space out that hub adapter. Im sure grinding it down will do the same thing. Works perfect now.
cool, gotchya. I removed the clock spring and the steering is way lighter now and better. It's just rubbing again so I will have to grind the adapter down a bit more

Quick Reply: is the steering supposed to get heavier with an aftermarket wheel?