General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

does carfax show why a car is salvage? im thinking of trading mine for one

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default does carfax show why a car is salvage? im thinking of trading mine for one

Im thinking of trading my 98 vert auto(clean title) 125k for a 01 t-top 6 speed (salvage) 99k

I was thinking of getting a carfax(never bought one before) so im unsure if it would even say why it was totaled?
would it be detalled like front end hit or side etc? so I would know what to focus on when I check it.(if its repaired correctly.)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS325ci
Im thinking of trading my 98 vert auto(clean title) 125k for a 01 t-top 6 speed (salvage) 99k

I was thinking of getting a carfax(never bought one before) so im unsure if it would even say why it was totaled?
would it be detalled like front end hit or side etc? so I would know what to focus on when I check it.(if its repaired correctly.)
Yes it will mention the total loss. My car was totaled and I checked the carfax on it afterwards and it listed it. I believe it listed the frame damage too. My report mentioned nothing about if/where/how/etc the repairs.

With that said, I would be very hesitant on buying a salvaged car, especially an LS1 (there is a lot of torque and such going on there). My car was fixed very well after the wreck, at the highest rated shop in town, and it still just never quite rode smoothly afterwards, very close, but not the same. What did the seller say about the accident and repairs? How long ago (time and mileage) was the accidient? If it was recent, chances are he is trying to profit off a shoddy repair that look good...for now. If it was years/ten's of thousands of miles ago, you can be more certain it is legit.

Is the car you're looking at that pewter one, by any chance?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_g
Yes it will mention the total loss. My car was totaled and I checked the carfax on it afterwards and it listed it. I believe it listed the frame damage too. My report mentioned nothing about if/where/how/etc the repairs.

With that said, I would be very hesitant on buying a salvaged car, especially an LS1 (there is a lot of torque and such going on there). My car was fixed very well after the wreck, at the highest rated shop in town, and it still just never quite rode smoothly afterwards, very close, but not the same. What did the seller say about the accident and repairs? How long ago (time and mileage) was the accidient? If it was recent, chances are he is trying to profit off a shoddy repair that look good...for now. If it was years/ten's of thousands of miles ago, you can be more certain it is legit.

Is the car you're looking at that pewter one, by any chance?
I never thought about the torque thing.

Seller said he owned it for about a year now.
last owner lost control of it in the freeway and so it got totaled.
quarter panel and rear end was damage.

i was more concerned with frame damage and such but after reading your respond im not so sure if anymore since the rear end was replaced.

do you think its worth the trade for my transam?

oh and he said 2nd gear is grinding.

hard for me to pass up a 01 t56 and t top. but being salvage im not sure if its worth trading my clean tittle 98 vert

and no its a white one
Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I was rear-ended, my rear frame was bent on both rails, and the passenger quarter panel was kinked pretty bad (~$9,000 of damage). I used all GM parts and it took 3 months for them to fix it right (they were slow). It ran great, looked brand new, drove straight as an arrow, and only seemed to have a teeny tiny vibration at around 70mph, barley even noticible. Even so, A) I was always worried about what if I got hit again? B) Did they do a good enough job for all that torque?
Well, 4 months after I got my car back, I took a left turn and gave it maybe 1/2-3/4 pedal, it fish tailed a bit, but then the whole car seemed to lock to one side and shoot me like an arrow into a tree. Totaling it again. Did I just lose control in a shameful embarrassing driving moment? Or did something in the wrecked rear end give out and that is what caused me to wreck? I bought the car back and I'm going to crawl under there and check it out...

With all that said, I personally wouldn't touch a totaled car with frame damage that some dude has only had for a year. Plus the tranny needs rebuilding? What kind of shape is your car in? You don't think you could just sell yours and get a different car with a clean title?

Finally, keep in mind how hard it is for you to decide to buy a salvage car. That is how hard of a time you'll have selling it when the time comes.

Last edited by big_g; 08-12-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: does carfax show why a car is salvage? im thinking of trading mine for one