General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What parts to pull off Z28?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts to pull off Z28?

I think I'll be heading to a salvage yard this weekend to look at a 1996 Z28. I have a 2002 w/only 47K on it, so I don't really know what to look for off of a beat up (im assuming) older 1996.

I want parts for possible future repairs I need to do to the 2002 and any other misc things you guys think are good parts to pull off a 96 when you have a 2002.

Thank YA!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Not much will interchange, other than major body panels (sans front end), glass and suspension/chassis. '96 still uses the older interior, so colors and designs won't match, and with the LT1 you won't find many matching engine bay parts either (other than supporting accessories such as washer fluid bottle, certain nuts/bolts/reservoir caps, radiator.....those sorts of things.)

One thing that you will eventually need, and that a '96 would be a perfect donor for, is the roof panel (assuming both yours and the '96 match as t-top/hardtop cars.) You can read up on this condition here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
Old 08-20-2014, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Yes, you are right. My hardtop has already bubbled in the middle. How do you remove a hardtop?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Since the 96 isn't going to really give me anything. What if I come across a 2000+ model. Then what important parts would you pull?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Swens651
Yes, you are right. My hardtop has already bubbled in the middle. How do you remove a hardtop?
You'd have to do some research. I've never dealt with hardtop removal from a donor car, but there are people who have done it. There is a hardtop replacement write-up linked in the first post of the thread I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Swens651
Since the 96 isn't going to really give me anything. What if I come across a 2000+ model. Then what important parts would you pull?
Lenses (headlights, tail lights, blinkers, etc.), interior components (anything '00+ would be a match, assuming you have ebony interior.....things like center console lid, dash top panel, steering wheel, power window switches, etc.), PCV system, tensioner/idler pulleys, alternator, intake if it's an '01+ (LS6 intake has some decent value to sell, assuming the scrap yard doesn't sell the engine separately), possibly injectors, coolant overflow bottle (the battery mounting lip tends to break as they age).....to name a few.

BUT, the downside here is that, at this point, it's likely that any junk yard car isn't going to have parts that are nice enough for your ~40k mile car. In fact, much of the stuff I mentioned above might already be garbage on said car as these are common wear items/problem areas and thus the reason why you would want spares. Unless you're lucky enough to find a low mile car that was junked due to some accident that didn't completely destroy the car, I think most of the high mile junk yard cars won't have these items in worthwhile condition. If you really wanted to begin a used parts collection, you'd be better off looking for people parting out privately owned cars that might have several of these items in great shape.

As for the roof panel, you would definitely NOT want to get one from another '99+ car, as they are no better than what you already have. So if you feel up to the task, that '96 car would be the perfect donor.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You'd have to do some research. I've never dealt with hardtop removal from a donor car, but there are people who have done it. There is a hardtop replacement write-up linked in the first post of the thread I mentioned above.

Lenses (headlights, tail lights, blinkers, etc.), interior components (anything '00+ would be a match, assuming you have ebony interior.....things like center console lid, dash top panel, steering wheel, power window switches, etc.), PCV system, tensioner/idler pulleys, alternator, intake if it's an '01+ (LS6 intake has some decent value to sell, assuming the scrap yard doesn't sell the engine separately), possibly injectors, coolant overflow bottle (the battery mounting lip tends to break as they age).....to name a few.

BUT, the downside here is that, at this point, it's likely that any junk yard car isn't going to have parts that are nice enough for your ~40k mile car. In fact, much of the stuff I mentioned above might already be garbage on said car as these are common wear items/problem areas and thus the reason why you would want spares. Unless you're lucky enough to find a low mile car that was junked due to some accident that didn't completely destroy the car, I think most of the high mile junk yard cars won't have these items in worthwhile condition. If you really wanted to begin a used parts collection, you'd be better off looking for people parting out privately owned cars that might have several of these items in great shape.

As for the roof panel, you would definitely NOT want to get one from another '99+ car, as they are no better than what you already have. So if you feel up to the task, that '96 car would be the perfect donor.

Thanks so much for the lengthy repsonse. I had a feeling that most parts I would find at a salvage yard would obviously not be as good as 02 parts with only 47k on them, but just wanted some spare stuff in case anything were to go wrong into the future. I may try to get the hardtop off if it's possible... might be a hell of a job to do, though!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

pull the fuses for spares,little things add up .fans with shroud anything in frontend area. our cars were in more front end hits than anything .headlight buckets,brackets etc. I've stripped 3 cars in the last 5 years and the little things add up extra nuts bolts take a 5 gallon bucket with you and fill it up.plastic clips,door molding. I took a sawsall and cut the t-top brackets out and cut the targa band off ,took my time and used some simsolve to clean off glue to stop the bubbling of the old glue. if you fill the bucket up with little stuff and wait till the junk yard guy is busy he'll let you go without looking at your stuff too close unless he's greedy.our cars were invovoled in front end crashes more than anything.i put mine back together I know . you can find quarter panels all day long but try to find a headlight. good luck.. the oldman....
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
pull the fuses for spares,little things add up .fans with shroud anything in frontend area. our cars were in more front end hits than anything .headlight buckets,brackets etc. I've stripped 3 cars in the last 5 years and the little things add up extra nuts bolts take a 5 gallon bucket with you and fill it up.plastic clips,door molding. I took a sawsall and cut the t-top brackets out and cut the targa band off ,took my time and used some simsolve to clean off glue to stop the bubbling of the old glue. if you fill the bucket up with little stuff and wait till the junk yard guy is busy he'll let you go without looking at your stuff too close unless he's greedy.our cars were invovoled in front end crashes more than anything.i put mine back together I know . you can find quarter panels all day long but try to find a headlight. good luck.. the oldman....
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I think I will bring a bucket and just start filling it up with little misc things like that. HA! I used to know people who would throw the parts that were expensive over the fence when pulling at salvage yards, but i don't think this stuff will be too bad on a 96 camaro.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

door lock sliders, window switches, headlight switches, seatbelt guides, rearview mirror, speaker grilles
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JDEP162
headlight switches
Other than those few of us who have deleted the auto headlights, I wonder how many of these cars have been driven 10s of thousands of miles without the headlight switch ever being used. I bet they are all like brand new.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to give this one out...But the side mirror triangle covers, and felt window guides that keep your window level.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1ya
I hate to give this one out...But the side mirror triangle covers, and felt window guides that keep your window level.
oooh good ones. and the guy abive is right, most headlight switches kike mine are never used and like new

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What parts to pull off Z28?