General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My Car (LS1 DeLorean) Used For An Episode of Car Fix on Velocity! Airs Tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw and taped this episode. FANTASTIC!!!! I have been thinking of doing this for several years. my buddies neighbor has a deLoren that is used as a shelf on his carport.i had often wondered how to do this very thing. looks great. the trans issue is the thing, but I think outside the box. what if you cryogenically treated the existing gears and cases along with shotpeening them.i saw an episode of a car show along time ago on speed channel that showed them doing an sti trans gears and case for a rally car. I think I can still get this car also. please pm me when you get a chance. the oldman......
Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Watched the episode as well.. Very cool for sure. Congrats on the car being on the show.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

what is the episode number , i cant find it anywhere , ill check the torrent sites soon
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by massconfusion
must be dream to work on the motor with all those removeable panels. stupid f-bodies
You can tell a F-body owner by looking at the scars on the top of his hands and forearms
Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

just checked the directv and only 4 episodes in like 15 days and not this episode .

cant find it online anywhere , no torrent sites either .
Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
what is the episode number , i cant find it anywhere , ill check the torrent sites soon
Should be S3E13
Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Teching In

I have REALLY got to check this forum more often, haha.

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Yah, that explains why there was no need to flycut, assuming stock head gasket .053".
They used lingenfelter head gaskets. They were the 3 layer ones where it's 2 layers of stainless steel sandwiching a special composite mesh in between.

Originally Posted by mac62989
Pretty cool and nice car. Who chose Lingenfelter? I guess you got a free install, did you have to pay for any of that?
Car Fix chose Lingenfelter/Lingenfelter volunteered. I got the parts in exchange for letting them use the car on the show. It was a good deal

Originally Posted by RONSBLACK1998TA
So you pull the back of the car off and you have complete access to the entire engine? Bada$$! Love that car man! Nice job.
Yep! When I first did the swap I thought it was going to be a nightmare to work on but when I realized I could just pop the back end off for anything major, I came up with more an more ways to streamline the access.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I wonder how "bulletproof" that trans is lol!
Not enough. I'm working on several different ways to make it stronger so it can take more abuse.

Originally Posted by JDEP162
awesome! watched it this morning, great to see someone from here on such a good car show. and a delorean with LS1, fantastic. did u get to meet the guys at all? they seem like god guys always wonder i. real life if they are. congrats on the whole deal. awesome car.
Oh yea; I was there for the entire filming. As soon as the cameras would turn off for shooting a scene, I pretty much got up and helped them turn wrenches on the next job. There were a lot of subtle custom things that I had to help them work around given what an oddball swap it is.

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
So did they actually Do the work or some off camera wrench turner come in and do the "real" work?
No wrench turners. They had one other guy that helped out when needed, but otherwise, it was Jared, Lou, and me working on the car for the whole shoot.

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
I saw the episode. Pretty cool. Did you contact them with your project?
No, they actually found me at the Celebration Exotic Car Show in Celebration FL. The saw my car, started asking me questions about it. I told them I wanted to do a cam and head swap in the future and about how the back end came off, and they started asking if I wanted to do an episode.

[QUOTE=jpurdum;18427305]I like the set up the guys did on your LS1. I have a couple of questions.
1) Were the Heads EDL61969 on Lingenfelter's website?
2) The guys mentioned you have an LS6 intake already on the car; is this a stock intake?

I have an LS1 in my 71 Camaro and think the project you did on your De Lorean will be a good upgrade for my car. Thanks.[/QUO
TE]
No, the heads are LS1CNC-C. They're stock LS1 Gen II (centerbolt style) heads, that lingenfelter fully reworks. They've also got the dual valve springs, titanium retainers, SS oversized valves, etc. I believe the EDL### heads are actually Edelbrock castings. The Cam was the GT11 cam.

It is not the stock intake. When I bought the engine it just had the LS1 intake. About a year or so I bought an LS6 intake and throttle body here on LS1Tech assuming it was the first step for me for any future upgrades.

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
I saw and taped this episode. FANTASTIC!!!! I have been thinking of doing this for several years. my buddies neighbor has a deLoren that is used as a shelf on his carport.i had often wondered how to do this very thing. looks great. the trans issue is the thing, but I think outside the box. what if you cryogenically treated the existing gears and cases along with shotpeening them.i saw an episode of a car show along time ago on speed channel that showed them doing an sti trans gears and case for a rally car. I think I can still get this car also. please pm me when you get a chance. the oldman......
I'm very familiar with the DeLoreans transmission. I've already got some ideas about how to make it a lot stronger. Hopefully it pans out.

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
just checked the directv and only 4 episodes in like 15 days and not this episode .

cant find it online anywhere , no torrent sites either .
Should be available on iTunes and Amazon Prime if nothing else. Not sure where else its available.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a very nice restoration/upgrade on the car.
BTW,
After watching your You Tube video It looks like you used "crush" bends, NOT mandrel bends after the Exhaust manifolds and before the O2 sensors (pause at the 2:18 mark on video).
If this is correct I'd highly recommend you replace any "crush" bends, with mandrel bends. "Crush" bends really hurt the flow especially so close to the engine where the exhaust gas temperature is still fairly high. Furthermore if you're not using at least 2.5" diameter right after the exhaust manifolds please upgrade it. I can tell by the way it looks in the video that getting the exhaust to work within that small area wasn't a easy task, and you're probably quite aware that the flow was compromised for this version of the exhaust. I'm fairly sure you pick up at least a slightly noticeable power gain with a mandrel bend before the O2 sensor.
Have you considered having the exhaust manifolds modified so the exits is at a different angle, and/or some custom angle mandrels bends...?

Otherwise, it looks like you did a very good job!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-07-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
BTW,
After watching your You Tube video It looks like you used "crush" bends, NOT mandrel bends after the Exhaust manifolds and before the O2 sensors (pause at the 2:18 mark on video).
http://youtu.be/1tJ0KlyUqpE
If this is correct I'd highly recommend you replace any "crush" bends, with mandrel bends. "Crush" bends really hurt the flow especially so close to the engine where the exhaust gas temperature is still fairly high. Furthermore if you're not using at least 2.5" diameter right after the exhaust manifolds please upgrade it. I can tell by the way it looks in the video that getting the exhaust to work within that small area wasn't a easy task, and you're probably quite aware that the flow was compromised for this version of the exhaust. I'm fairly sure you pick up at least a slightly noticeable power gain with a mandrel bend before the O2 sensor.
Have you considered having the exhaust manifolds modified so the exits is at a different angle, and/or some custom angle mandrels bends...?

The bend before the O2 sensor is a 4" diameter bend that I made with a hydraulic pipe bender. After the 02 sensor there are 2 mandrel bends that lead to the mufflers (which are essentially glass packs).

The exhaust headers are Hooker block hugger headers. They're the only headers that would fit between the frame rails.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/2312/10002/-1
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

very clean looking swap/upgrade!!! what does that thing weigh
Old 12-20-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
BTW,
http://youtu.be/1tJ0KlyUqpE

I'd imagine getting the exhaust to fit in there was tough to do
Old 12-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Great scott, Marty!

Quick Reply: My Car (LS1 DeLorean) Used For An Episode of Car Fix on Velocity! Airs Tonight!