General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Forward or reverse manual valve body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forward or reverse manual valve body?

I have read a lot on this and people say forward is bad because you can slip into neutral or reverse at wot, is it not safe to run the forward pattern? I personally like the forward better but if its going to be a scary issue on skipping gears i might improvise.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reverse.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cstone812
Reverse.
true! ive been driving my cavalier around all day going through the 1 2 and 3 gears trying to decide if i like forward or reverse lol. One big reason i thought forward is because someone made a point they like their hand on the shifter upon launch, (to hold trans break) and with reverse, when you lauch its possible to throw it into second but if you put the trans break on the steering wheel, boom problem solved. Then from the steering wheel to the shifter, is one motion and its reverse lol just my thoughts
Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I am running an aftermarket Hurst pistol grip shifter and forward pattern th400. As long as you know how to use the shifter from 2nd to 3rd, you are fine. Has reverse lockout also. But if I could do it again, I would probably go full manual valve body, reverse pattern.

When I first had the th400 in, I was modifying a stock shifter so that nobody would know what I had. Tweaked the gates so it held harder and making a stop since there is no 4th gear anymore. Took it on the road and hit the shifter wrong and hit it in reverse at probably 30 mph and locked the car up for a split second and feared that I messed up my trans. Luckily it was fine, and that's when I went with an aftermarket shifter and never had a problem since.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I am running an aftermarket Hurst pistol grip shifter and forward pattern th400. As long as you know how to use the shifter from 2nd to 3rd, you are fine. Has reverse lockout also. But if I could do it again, I would probably go full manual valve body, reverse pattern.

When I first had the th400 in, I was modifying a stock shifter so that nobody would know what I had. Tweaked the gates so it held harder and making a stop since there is no 4th gear anymore. Took it on the road and hit the shifter wrong and hit it in reverse at probably 30 mph and locked the car up for a split second and feared that I messed up my trans. Luckily it was fine, and that's when I went with an aftermarket shifter and never had a problem since.
Honestly i think im going with a powerglide forward pattern with a precision piece, no way you can screw up besides downshifting lol

Quick Reply: Forward or reverse manual valve body?