General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Minimum trailer size?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Minimum trailer size?!

Have a couple of decently priced trailers Im looking at. Need to know whats the minimum that would haul a late 4th gen. I know it's just under 6.2' for width and just under 16.2' for length. I know the front and rear can over hang a bit at each end so a 16' would be perfect.
Im concerned about width as each trailer is 6' between the fenders (as they say anyway), and don't know if the car would fit due to the shape. As I image the spec'd width (6.2') is the maximum size from door buldge to door bulgde, but could it fit due the the curved shape at the bottom half of the car if the fenders were low enough.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never measured the Inside of the fenders on mine but most trailers meant to haul a car should be built to the full legal width for most (all???) states without a permit 8'6" which should leave around 7 feet inside , yours sounds narrow...

Mine is a 20 foot deck but could easily be cut down by 4 feet for an f body but I had it made by a company that built hundreds of boat trailers for the marina I worked for to my needs and I have used it to do too many things outside of hauling a car to list ...

be cautious of deck height vs. fender height if the fenders aren't removable as you wont be able to open a door to get out !

Mine is also set up with a notched rear crossmember for header clearance and instead of the typical welded on beaver tail angle he just welded the diamond plate decking to the top of the frame then chased the weld to the bottom of the frame at the rear.

I was within a grand of what a cheap pos would have cost and it was worth the versatility.

Quick Reply: Minimum trailer size?!