General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 or C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 or C5 Z06

So here's the situation... I'm 18, own a cammed 99 Camaro SS, but im trying to get rid of it and buy a real corvette instead of a poor man's corvette. I thinking i might be better off selling the car on SS wheels instead to keep the CCWs and put them on my future C5 Vette. the thing is I'm going to college and dont have the money to buy another car right now, but i want to set my mind on either a C5 or C5Z06. i like the hatch look better on the C5, but thats about it, I like that it could have the same/more power with a cam alone. the Z06 is pretty pricey for right now, but im wondering if it would be better to sell the car with the CCW wheels or keep them, wait a little longer and then buy a C5Z
heres my car by the way
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4834514823.html
Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

Personally I'd want to keep that Camaro man if it looks as good in person as it does online. You must be doing pretty well for yourself to have afforded that car and all those mods at 18.... But to answer your questions if you really want to sell it, I think you should definitely opt for a Z06. Prices are dropping pretty rapidly on them and Im seeing them in my area for consistently under 20k. The difference in performance the Z06 offers over the base C5 is significant IMO. And with the right color and wheels on them they look absolutely stunning. Those CCWs would definitely look great on a C5Z. You will be getting a faster car over buying a regular C5, unless you bought a modded base C5. However you are pretty deep into that Camaro. I am approaching that point with mine and personally if I had it modded that much already I'd keep it and get a good rear end and spray it/turbo it. However I am at a point where I've been pondering upgrading to a C5Z or base C6 as well, but I'll probably end up keeping and spraying the Camaro. Ultimately the decision is up to you.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Personally I'd want to keep that Camaro man if it looks as good in person as it does online. You must be doing pretty well for yourself to have afforded that car and all those mods at 18.... But to answer your questions if you really want to sell it, I think you should definitely opt for a Z06. Prices are dropping pretty rapidly on them and Im seeing them in my area for consistently under 20k. The difference in performance the Z06 offers over the base C5 is significant IMO. And with the right color and wheels on them they look absolutely stunning. Those CCWs would definitely look great on a C5Z. You will be getting a faster car over buying a regular C5, unless you bought a modded base C5. However you are pretty deep into that Camaro. I am approaching that point with mine and personally if I had it modded that much already I'd keep it and get a good rear end and spray it/turbo it. However I am at a point where I've been pondering upgrading to a C5Z or base C6 as well, but I'll probably end up keeping and spraying the Camaro. Ultimately the decision is up to you.
Well I'm far into but I see that as kind of being the problem, pretty soon the engines going to need a full rebuild and at least another cam because the lifters were never replaced do they are slowing digging away at the cam. The price is going to be close to $1500 and I rather just start investing in another car, I don't necessarily like drag racing anyways, more of a roll racer so the rear end is fine, but if I go any farther with it, I'll be losing that much more money, which will keep me that much farther from a Z06
Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with a regular C5 since you are in college. Wait till after college when you land your career job to get the cool ****. The goal of college should be to get in, get educated, and get out with as little debt as possible.

Honestly, I'd keep the Camaro. Stop modding it, fix it to keep it going, whatever it needs to get it through college. After that, go nuts (responsibly, of course).

Good luck with school.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It might depend on what car you can find at what price. It's quite easy and realively inexpensive (especially if you have the means to do work yourself) to get a base C5 to perform as well as the Z06. Also depends on personal preference on looks/style (fixed roof coupe vs fastback) and if you really like the targa top of the base C5. Who knows what you'll run into during your search, you may come across too good of a deal to pass up on either style. Good luck.

Edit: I completely agree with Z Fury regarding putting school first before the car. Scratch the idea if it interferes with your education.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 3rd zfurys comment. Wether you get a c5 base, or a z06, chances are youre gonna drop a lot of money on it. So if budget is a problem, id keep your ss a bit longer and later on go with what you really want.

However, between the base and z06 model, id go for the z06 any day.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt_NaSSty
i like the hatch look better on the C5, but thats about it
I agree, I greatly dislike the FRC body style of the C5 Z06 and for that reason would never want one. I'd say to go with a base C5 and do whatever modifications are required to attain your desired performance level with that one. The base C5 is a bit heavier than a Z06, but weight can always be offset with additional horsepower, so however fast you would want the Z06 to be, the C5 could be made equally fast but would need a bit more power. Additionally, the Z06 will cost more to purchase, so money saved by going with a base C5 can be used for modifications to offset the stock performance difference.

Either way I wouldn't get involved with any of this if the only money you have to work with is what your Camaro will sell for. Even if you get the full $11k asking price (unlikely), a nice C5 will cost more than that even if stock, so you'd be looking at thousands more to make it equally fast as what you have now. Debt for a toy car would be a horrible idea at your age/in your position.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree, I greatly dislike the FRC body style of the C5 Z06 and for that reason would never want one. I'd say to go with a base C5 and do whatever modifications are required to attain your desired performance level with that one. The base C5 is a bit heavier than a Z06, but weight can always be offset with additional horsepower, so however fast you would want the Z06 to be, the C5 could be made equally fast but would need a bit more power. Additionally, the Z06 will cost more to purchase, so money saved by going with a base C5 can be used for modifications to offset the stock performance difference.

Either way I wouldn't get involved with any of this if the only money you have to work with is what your Camaro will sell for. Even if you get the full $11k asking price (unlikely), a nice C5 will cost more than that even if stock, so you'd be looking at thousands more to make it equally fast as what you have now. Debt for a toy car would be a horrible idea at your age/in your position.
Thanks for the advice, I'm actually buying another car before a vette with the money i get off my camaro to flip for around $2500 profit to help pay for a vette. I think I'll get a base C5 and modify each summer I get back from college, and keep my CCWs to put on it to make it look good. I like the fastback better anyways, is there anything that really makes a significant difference between a base and a Z? I know the LS6 and t56 magnum, along with better brakes, but is that pretty much it?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 166 Likes on 150 Posts

I would check out how much the car insurance would be for an 18 year old guy with a Vette.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

c5z06 is one of my favorite cars so thats my pick.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I would check out how much the car insurance would be for an 18 year old guy with a Vette.
From my experience its actually less money to insure a corvette.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Empatho
From my experience its actually less money to insure a corvette.
funny thats how it is though im thinking the overall age group is older dropping certain risks associated with cars like that.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Burt_NaSSty
Thanks for the advice, I'm actually buying another car before a vette with the money i get off my camaro to flip for around $2500 profit to help pay for a vette. I think I'll get a base C5 and modify each summer I get back from college, and keep my CCWs to put on it to make it look good. I like the fastback better anyways, is there anything that really makes a significant difference between a base and a Z? I know the LS6 and t56 magnum, along with better brakes, but is that pretty much it?
T56 magnum? Base C5 has MM6 T56, Z06 has the M12 T56 which are the exact same transmissions just different gearing. C5Z06 brake calipers are red, thats basically the main difference there, other than that the brakes are the same. Besides the LS6 and trans gearing, the most differences between the two are wheels, tire size, exhaust and suspension (front swap bar, rear spring and shocks are different). That's about it.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Z06 is a waste of money if you plan on modding the car and don't really like the FRC look. Spending 10k extra for the 50WHP is a bad move if you ask me.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oscs
Z06 is a waste of money if you plan on modding the car and don't really like the FRC look. Spending 10k extra for the 50WHP is a bad move if you ask me.
Totally agree with this.

Quick Reply: C5 or C5 Z06