General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

top end work on high miles..opinion?

Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end work on high miles..opinion?

194k on the clock. car is practically mint, owned by a 72 year old its whole life before I got it 5 months ago. (assuming they're soft miles.. if that even matters)

Anyways, heads/cam are an ideal want here soon.....wanting to buy a new ls1 block and build it outside of car but if these motors are so 'bulletproof...' would the bottom end handle 400 horse with nearly 200k or is oil consumption going to be a problem?

Figuring the new block is the way to go, but with the low power that im looking for, suppose I should put it out there either way. ya never know I guess!

thanks for any input
Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Do a leak down test to check the condition of the engine. If it has good oil pressure (hot and cold) and the leak down test comes out within spec I would use it. Obviously you'll want to change the timing chain/gears and a new water pump is a good idea since you'll already have it apart. Some will also recommend a new oil pump but if it's working good now then it should really come down to if it's in the budget.
The crank will more than handle the power.
You could also build a new engine....The nice thing about building a different engine is (1) You get to drive the car while you build the new one (2) You can take your time doing it (3) You can usually build it with a larger budget because you can buy parts a little at a time instead of all at once. (4) You can sell the old engine to get some money back.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, totally agree with ya there. Since I have another dd, I have no problem taking my time either way.
and I did have in mind to replace oil/water pump, new chain, lifters, rockers, rods, springs. I just cant find a cam kit with all of the above. I can wait on the heads until next winter, but my instructor persuades me to order cam kit from summit racing
whats your opinion?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

at worst you could always change your parts over to a new built short block.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll go through with this in the future.
Itching to find a cam only setup (new chain, oil pump, lifters, pushrods, springs) making a nice lope for summer car meets
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

ba careful choosing a cam. i had one that loped big time and drive abilty was ****.

my builder put in another one that made similar power that got better gas mileage and it was much easier to deal with on a daily basis.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for heads up. Did some research on the 218/227 hotcam. It sounds like a decent mild cam that'll give it a nice grunt on the weekends (the only time it gets driven)
And being a weekend cruiser...will it be a nice decision for now? Found this cam kit with ls6 springs for around 400$
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody4everyone
but my instructor persuades me to order cam kit from summit racing
whats your opinion?
The cam is the heart of the engine. I would suggest talking to one of the forum sponsors they can spec you a cam for your application. The main reason to go this route is to make sure you get a cam that will work together with the rest of your engine combination and how you intend to use it. I seriously doubt you're going to get that kind of service from summit.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I don't plan on doing anything else to the motor besides basic bolt ons. Already have ls6 intake, getting headers, maybe bigger tb.. I want to go through with this cam, only to experiment because of the rebuild my car will have next winter. Just want some feedback...I understand its an overrated cam and pretty outdated ....but I think I want to go with a 'off the shelf can' for now.
Anymore feedback? Throw in ls6 springs...hotcam...and be done..?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not, maybe clean some things up while your in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: top end work on high miles..opinion?